The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I was always taught to 'progress' when I did my RAF driving courses .....

if the limit is 40, and the road and traffic conditions allow it, then why are you doing 25 ?

similarly, if the road and traffic conditions do not, then why are you still doing the max permitted speed ?

there are far too many of the 'I've passed my test' drivers around, and far too few 'trained' drivers.

I was lucky, I've had RAF  driving courses, HGV3 and HGV1, and a civilian PSV all classes.

it amazes me, not the number of accidents that I do see, but the number that I don't.

some idiots just seem to tear up their L plates, and forget everything the have been 'taught'.

too many people seem to be taught not to drive, but to pass the test.

sorry,
rant over

RailGooner

Many years ago the City Council decided to post a 20 mph limit for streets in Oxford. But the Police say the signage is wrong and so refuse to enforce the 20 limit, instead enforcing a 30 limit. The result is that tourists drive at 21 and locals (on the rare occasions that traffic isn't jammed) drive at 35. :doh:

dannyboy

I was taught to drive when I was in the Police and have been on the advanced drivers course - I can not explain how much 'fun' (!) it is, driving at 70/80mph in an unmarked car, (no lights or sirens), whilst giving a running commentary, explaining what you can see front and rear and explaining what you are doing and why you are doing it. Here in Ireland, if not driving on a newish road, the limit is generally 80kph, (50mph), and on some of the roads, it is impossible to do anywhere near that speed, but it is surprising, when it is possible, how many drivers are going at 40kph. When I get somebody behind who is obviously in a hurry, not casting aspersions here, but it is usually a young male driver, I just let them pass when safe and think, "Go on, be a statistic". Probably a large percentage of fatal accidents in Ireland involve a single vehicle.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

Many years ago I was driving a land rover towing a trailer. I was in a queue going up a hill on a long straight road. I noticed in my wing mirror a car shooting up the outside of the queue. Several large lorries from a nearby quarry started coming down the hill towards us. The lad in the car thought there was a gap behind me and went for it, only to be disappointed. Fortunately for him, there was a disused petrol station on the offside and he managed to skid to a halt on the empty forecourt in a cloud of dust and gravel (and probably embarrassment)
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

As I was working last night, I did not get up until about 2.30pm. I had my 'breakfast' then switched on my phone to find there was a text from my bank asking me to ring them asap. I duly did so and was asked about some transactions that had gone through a couple of hours earlier.  ???  "Not me" says I, "I was in bed". It turned out that at least 4 transactions, totalling just over €600 had been done online.  :goggleeyes:. That is bad enough although the lady I spoke to did say the money would be refunded - after I return the necessary paperwork to them, which they will put in the post tomorrow, (it is a Public Holiday here today - think of the extra pay David  :)). Before I can return the paperwork, I have to fill it in then go to the local Gardai, (Police), a round trip of 40 miles, so they can do what they have to do. In the meantime, my Debit Card has been cancelled and I was going to use that card for Ally Pally next Sunday! So I now have to transfer money to another account, so I can use that instead.  :veryangry: It is amazing how these frauds can take place - the card was in a RFID sleeve in my wallet in the bedroom. The laptop, which does not have my card details on it, was switched off, in its bag, in the car parked outside the house, (and Louisa was at home). Some very clever, dishonest, people about. I have to commend the bank though for picking up on the fraud so quickly.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

Long before contactless cards were invented, I got a call from my credit card provider. A lady asked me if I had bought 4 car tyres in Wolverhampton about 15 minutes previously. I told her I was in Feltham and no, I hadn't bought anything. Apparently someone had used a fake card at a garage and it had my number on it. They posted me a new card. All I can assume is that someone had access to one of my petrol receipts from a garage as it was all I used that card for.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daffy

I've had one of my cards 'cloned' twice. The last time was for well over £1000 of stuff in three transactions in Portugal, where I've never been. Happily, unlike dannyboy's experience, I only had to wait a few days for a new card as the whole matter was resolved by my card company over the phone the same day they notified me of the problem. But it was worrisome all the same and made me even more fastidious than I already am at guarding my details.

Hope your new card arrives soon and that you enjoy the Ally Pally trip on Sunday. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Extremely scary stuff. I had my credit card hacked once, but luckily the provider fixed it.

It's extremely stressful, and I sympathise.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

Thats bad news Dannyboy these scum are getting very clever now thats why we dont have a credit card .I do hope you get it sorted in time for your trip to Ally Pally see you there .
Bob Tidbury

port perran

Had a text and call from my bank on Wednesday.
Of course, I thought it was a scam but it was real for real.
Had Ibought  something in John Lewis and PC World earlier today.
No.....luckily the bank had stopped the payments. Apparently it was a suspect IP address that alerted them.
So....no money taken but card stopped and reissued .
New card came on Saturday / no harm done other than a bit of inconvenience but beware.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

TrevL

'Tis a pity these scammers can't have their accounts hacked and have them emptied, see how they like it!
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

The Q

I've twice had my credit card hacked on both occasions I found out when I tried to use the card and it had been stopped. On contacting the bank, they had noticed very odd activity and stopped it.
I did find out that on one of the occasions the card had been diverted to a Cafe in Leightonstone.

This is why I almost never use my bank account card for purchases, only a credit card, which doesn't have a high limit.

As for vehicles weaving in and out of traffic, one I came across, was a motorcyclist weaving in and out to find a low level trailer in the gap , the results were not nice.

Much less nice, the other happend not far from the MRC on the main road, two mortorcyclists were weaving in and out in opposite directions at very high speed. (60mph straight road) They met in the middle, they had to use heat seeking guns to find the pieces in the ditches alongside the road. I'm very glad I didn't come across that one.

Newportnobby

I guess it's the same all over the UK but here, in Leyland, the potholes are getting to be shockingly dangerous. The local council sent a diver in to investigate this one.............

but the second time they tried it the diver never surfaced again and no one knows why..........

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Yet_Another

A couple of weeks ago, I drove into a pothole on the M6, in the Cheshire roadworks, on a dark Sunday evening. Turns out, it snapped the front nearside spring, and it's going to cost me several hundred pounds to get it fixed.

This is one of the sections of the motorway network that they continue to spend years and years and hundreds of millions to turn into so-called 'smart' motorway.

Poppycock. They spend years not maintaining the actual running lanes properly, causing untold damage to vehicles like mine, for very limited benefit that is likely to be obsolete within years.

I experience a massive delay on a 'smart' motorway not very long ago, because it couldn't even manage planned maintenance. Expensive rubbish waste of resource.  :veryangry:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations