Scam phone calls

Started by austinbob, October 22, 2018, 05:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

I've had three scam calls today, all concerning. 'HMRC and tax fraud'.
I blocked the first call number and they phoned from a different number an hour or so later. Blocked that number and they called. On yet another number.
Each call was a recorded message which sounded like individual words pasted together.
As its a recorded message you don't even get the satisfaction of telling them to p### off.
How do you stop these calls? Taken to just leaving the answer phone on now.
:veryangry:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

keithfre

Quote from: austinbob on October 22, 2018, 05:02:56 PM
Taken to just leaving the answer phone on now.
I leave it on all the time and tell everyone to leave a message and if I'm at home I'll pick up.
Works!

austinbob

Yes, I think that's the best solution for the moment. I get few genuine calls on my landline anyway. Most people call my mobile and, so far, few scam calls on that.
If it wasn't for the fact I need a landline connection to get broadband then I'd dump my landline.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Intercity

There is no easy way to block them completely, most of the scammers are using VOIP, they are using it to create hundreds, thousands of fake numbers, and then use a computer to robo-call as many genuine numbers as possible, all in the hope of freaking you out enough to give them vital info including bank account info, one thing that answering the phone does do for them is verify that it is a legit number (one of many things a scammer will link to you in order to steal identities).

The problem with VOIP is you can use it from any country then route the IP address through different servers to mask your location.

If you don't know the number, don't answer the phone (a person really needing to get hold of you will already know how or leave a message)

Also of the subject of taxes, bank accounts etc, they never call you on the phone to discuss delinquent accts or back taxes, these genuine communications in my experience have always been on letterheaded paper in the snail mail, still not sure contact said company direct (not through links in suspect emails, use the official website info)

daffy

Like you Bob my landline is mainly a broadband service requirement, so though family and friends use it to call us (and vice versa), most of our contact is by mobile or email. Consequently the landline is always on ansaphone and I only answer to numbers or names I recognise.

We used to get rogue calls, but not since we started this ansaphone system. As I was told once, scammers can only latch on to valid numbers once you answer, and if they get an ansaphone message their system should ignore the number in future. How true this is I know not, but it makes sense from my experience and that of other family members. Perhaps someone here can throw light on this.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

geoffc

I am with Talktalk and they provide a call screening system. The caller has to state who they are and what the call is about, having done that I can either accept or reject the call.
If I accept the call they are then connected to me and as I have accepted them once any further calls from that number are connected automatically. Since having this system I no longer get scam calls.

Geoff

ntpntpntp

Answerphone on all the time, and on the longest number of rings before it picks up.  Simples.   I've operated that way for decades, keeps nuisance calls to a minimum (including the family when I'm trying to watch telly or play trains  :D )  If anything is important they can leave a message and we'll call back.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Paul-H

Quote from: geoffc on October 22, 2018, 06:58:06 PM
I am with Talktalk and they provide a call screening system. The caller has to state who they are and what the call is about, having done that I can either accept or reject the call.
If I accept the call they are then connected to me and as I have accepted them once any further calls from that number are connected automatically. Since having this system I no longer get scam calls.

Geoff

Ditto with me as well, used to get loads of scam calls claiming to be from talk talk, as soon as I subscribed to their free call screening service they all stopped.

They were the only calls I got on my landline as the number has never been given out, as like many the landline is only for the broadband.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Newportnobby

Caller ID on my landline and if I don't recognise the number or the phone doesn't have it listed in the directory I don't answer it. I have an issue with trying to remember people's mobile numbers as they seem to me to be a bugger to remember but that's just tough luck. If they leave a message I'll get back to them.

Safety Engineer

I had a very nice Indian gent claiming to be from BT stating my broadband was going to be off for a week. However if I pressed certain keys on the computer they might be able to sort the problem remotely. Needless to say he spent some time talking to the spuds on my veg rack.

Martin

Bealman

Yeah, if the home phone rings, I simply ignore it. As in many posts above, all coms with me is on the mobile.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

one of the latest scams is they do leave a message asking you to phone back and say "yes", this is then inserted into a voice contract for a product you did not want.

Bealman

Don't like the sound of that!!  :thumbsdown:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

One rainy summer day two years ago I spent 45minutes stringing along some 'IT engineer' who assured me my p.c. had a virus. We went through turning on, logging on, etc. He was getting so frustrated with me playing the 'buffoon' . In the end he hung up, spoilsport, I never even got to tell him I was sat in my van watching the summer rain!

:D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

dannyboy

Quote from: Graham on October 22, 2018, 11:00:01 PM
one of the latest scams is they do leave a message asking you to phone back and say "yes", this is then inserted into a voice contract for a product you did not want.

A variation on this that I have heard of is that the caller asks if, (the number they have rung), is correct. When you answer "Yes", they have got you! SWMBO has now got the message, after me telling her often enough, not to answer unknown calls and, under no circumstances, to use the word "Yes".
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations