NS 1500 (EM2) 1:160 chassis help

Started by Yarnham, August 22, 2018, 11:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarnham

All,

I recently purchased a 1:160 scale NS Class 1500 (EM2) body from Shapeways.
However given the locomotives size (being UK loading gauge) none of my existing NS locomotive chassis fit.
The axle centres and wheelbase of the Startrain 1300 are a very close fit. However the width of the chassis is about 4mm too wide - Milling the chassis down isn't an option.
I have attached an annotated picture of the dimensions required for the power chassis.

Any help or knowledge of N gauge chassis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Giles

bscanlon

Prototype BR wheelbases, though whether models line up with this is a different matter.

http://www.clag.org.uk/wheelbase.html

It does not look like anything British would be close.

Class 31 is 28'10" between bogie centres and has 7' + 7' trucks?

Life Like's earlier Alco PA1 in American N will have trucks about right in wheelbase 14.75 + 14.75mm but is a bit long in the chassis. The chassis is not DCC but is also not so hard to shorten.  Though the truck sideframes wouldn't be right, they could be modified. It may be possible to alter the width, since this chassis is plastic.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/llpa.html

(The older ConCor/ Kato PA1 has trucks a foot too short 14+14mm.)

BTW, be careful of the 'Model Railroader' reviews reproduced on Spookshow, saying a loco 'checks out closely in major dimensions' or the like. 'Model Railroader' almost never criticises anything. Their reviews are either optimistic spin, or works of fiction, and cannot be relied on. You need to get an actual loco and measure it.

Ben

Yarnham

Thanks Ben,
I will investigate further, Dad has an Alco PA1 but this is the later build version with the brick of a chassis, so his model trains are safe - for now!!

cheers

Giles

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations