MJA Routes

Started by cutting42, August 02, 2018, 05:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutting42

I am liking the new Dapol MJA twins but was wondering where they were used. My railway plan is for ECML around Newark so a decent excuse for either the Freightliner or GB Railfreight versions would be great.

crewearpley40

i have seen them on the crewe - stockport - sheffield - leeds scrap / metal trains, used to carry gypsum products ,  Rylstone to Small Heath basically skipton area to birmingham, the odd coal but mainly ore aggregates, limestone from tunstead

hope helps

nobby

i have been thinking of getting a set of these as they look very nice and the price is quite good but have any members got any yet ,ie what the couplings like as i have the network rail wagons again very nice but the couplings are awful never stay together so if they are the same type of in the same style then i might give them a miss.

crewearpley40

a friend of mine looked into them and noticed Twin wagon set complete with coupling complete with bar in a shop at £37 plus nem pockets and self centering couplings. think im not purchasing

woodbury22uk

Quote from: crewearpley40 on August 02, 2018, 07:00:08 PM
a friend of mine looked into them and noticed Twin wagon set complete with coupling complete with bar in a shop at £37 plus nem pockets and self centering couplings. think im not purchasing

Most discount retailers have them at £32.26 for a pair of bogie wagons - £16 a wagon seems OK to me for a completely newly tooled wagon set. Or is it the close coupling and NEM pockets that put you off?
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

crewearpley40

my friend was telling me about them and i moved home so am starting to set up again and pardon the pun, take stock of whats what, what needed, what not but first just taking stock down my local model club layout whilst sorting home !!!!

as far as the couplings etc go not really sure - still taking my time !!!

Ben A

Hi cutting42,

In answer to your original query I know the MJAs were used for a while to take stone in to Hitchin, so they've certainly been used on the southern ECML, though I am not sure where the stone came from!

If you do a flickr search you might find out more from the photo captions.  I think the flow was around 2009-2014.

Cheers

Ben A.

crewearpley40

could the stone trains have originated from the peak forest area  in conjunction with buidling of the cambridge line flyovers ? or simply been heading towards / from london area ?

Ben A

Hi crewearpley40,

Yes, here is a shot I found of the train at Chesterfield:

https://flic.kr/p/S7Nbdv

Routed via Chesterfield I suspect would join the ECML just north of Peterborough, so probably wouldn't go through Newark, but you could always have the excuse of a diversion.

This pic dates from 2007 (amazingly over a decade ago!) so I was slightly out with my dates guesstimate.

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben A

Hi again crewearpley40,

A further Flickr search yielded this shot of MJAs passing Newark on a flow to Goole:

https://flic.kr/p/bU8C1k

So fill your boots!

Cheers

Ben A.

crewearpley40

im not sure if this would originate from the peak forest , travel via hope valley, sheffield avoiding lines dore junction, chesterfield, erweash / toton to the north west of nottingham and avoid there, bypass retford on to the wcml
at a guess

a long way round.but the more direct route :

peterborough - melton mowbray - syston - loughborough, trent junction, toton, langley mill, chesterfield , dore and the hope valley

maybe trains heading to london to build part of underground / part of crossrail. unsure again, but modelling potential

njee20

There were frequently rakes of them at the terminal near Wembley, which tallies with something Crossrail or LUL related. Presumably removing spoil and/or taking aggregates in.

They do look good, I seem to be delaying the inevitable by not having ordering any! I've not seen any first hand reports of them, and like others I'm a bit twitchy with people saying the couplings on the IOA are poor.

njee20

Found a retailer selling them for £25 a set on eBay yesterday, unsurprisingly they've all gone, just as I went to order 8 pairs, dammit!

RailGooner

:D Got the last four pairs of GBRf from there last night, to supplement my three pairs from Hattons the day before.

njee20

Damn you! Shouldn't have dithered!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations