small grainflow wagons

Started by mickster04, July 27, 2018, 04:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickster04

Hey team,
What is the difference between the grainflow 4 wheel hopper and the other grain hoppers

I'm thinking

vs

This might be a simple relivery from what I can tell? will peco do it?

koyli55002

Although you COULD get away with a repaint, in real life the Grainflow "minibulks" were a rebuild IIRC. They had only five ribs per side and the slope of the hopper was greater. Take a look at Paul Bartlett's pictures here .....
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop

koyli55002

Oh, and the suspension was also different !  :doh:

Western Exile

I recently noticed that Railtec produce transfers in N gauge for the green PAA wagon in the top picture. I thought that they might be suitable for a "close enough for government work" conversion of the Peco wagon also shown above but I see the letter spacing of the "Grainflow" logo transfer fits the 5 rib spacing of the real wagon rather than the 8 rib spacing of the Peco wagon. Does that mean that someone has produced a more accurate kit or 3D print of this wagon of which I'm unaware?
(not Dr.) Al

ScottishModeller

Quote from: Western Exile on November 08, 2023, 02:16:15 PMI recently noticed that Railtec produce transfers in N gauge for the green PAA wagon in the top picture. I thought that they might be suitable for a "close enough for government work" conversion of the Peco wagon also shown above but I see the letter spacing of the "Grainflow" logo transfer fits the 5 rib spacing of the real wagon rather than the 8 rib spacing of the Peco wagon. Does that mean that someone has produced a more accurate kit or 3D print of this wagon of which I'm unaware?
Hi Al,

Correct - the Railtec decals are set out for the rebuilt wagons with 5 rib body type.

I am partway through a conversion project to make the Peco wagons into a more representative model of the rebuilds. It's a slow process for each wagon!

1 - remove all ribs from the body

2 - replace the removed ribs with the correct 5 ribs

3 - remove the existing w irons, springs and brake components

4 - replace the removed w irons with the correct pedestal suspension

5 - repaint and decal, then give coat of matt finish

6 - weather and recoat with flat finish

I'll be doing some of the work at Falkirk Exhibition 18th and 19th November

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Western Exile

Quote from: ScottishModeller on November 08, 2023, 03:27:00 PM
Quote from: Western Exile on November 08, 2023, 02:16:15 PMI recently noticed that Railtec produce transfers in N gauge for the green PAA wagon in the top picture. I thought that they might be suitable for a "close enough for government work" conversion of the Peco wagon also shown above but I see the letter spacing of the "Grainflow" logo transfer fits the 5 rib spacing of the real wagon rather than the 8 rib spacing of the Peco wagon. Does that mean that someone has produced a more accurate kit or 3D print of this wagon of which I'm unaware?
Hi Al,

Correct - the Railtec decals are set out for the rebuilt wagons with 5 rib body type.

I am partway through a conversion project to make the Peco wagons into a more representative model of the rebuilds. It's a slow process for each wagon!

1 - remove all ribs from the body

2 - replace the removed ribs with the correct 5 ribs

3 - remove the existing w irons, springs and brake components

4 - replace the removed w irons with the correct pedestal suspension

5 - repaint and decal, then give coat of matt finish

6 - weather and recoat with flat finish

I'll be doing some of the work at Falkirk Exhibition 18th and 19th November

Thanks
Phil H

Thanks Phil, that sounds like an interesting project...
Is it your intention to re-use some of the removed ribs or are you using something else for the five correct ribs? Also, have Railtec produced these transfers specially for your project? Otherwise, I'm curious to know why they produce them with nothing really on the market to put them on.

Al.
(not Dr.) Al

ScottishModeller

Quote from: Western Exile on November 08, 2023, 06:12:40 PMThanks Phil, that sounds like an interesting project...
Is it your intention to re-use some of the removed ribs or are you using something else for the five correct ribs? Also, have Railtec produced these transfers specially for your project? Otherwise, I'm curious to know why they produce them with nothing really on the market to put them on.

Al.

Hi Al,

Scrap the existing ribs - wrong profile! Then it does not matter if you are rough removing them.

Use microstrip to replace as correct width and depth is available (will have to get more) from Evergreen

Decals - I don't think he did them specifically for me - but I did ask!

They have been available in both 7mm and 4mm for some time - not listed for N though.

Pedestal Suspension Units - I am using the ones from 2FS - slightly small but it's less than 0.5mm difference.

Still playing with wheel diameter to match buffer heights.

Couplings - current thoughts are Dapol magnimatics in pockets.

I hope to get photos on the NGS Forth & Clyde stand at Falkirk and will post progress then.

How far have I got?

So far, 1 'Proof of Concept' completed modifications, needing painted.
Plus 9 carved and stripped bodies waiting to have new ribs added
Plus 9 Peco chassis carved, ready to add suspension pedestals and coupler pockets.

Be aware, this is not an exact reproduction! I have not gone as far as to make the slight change in the angle of the hopper base.....

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Western Exile

Very interesting! Unfortunately, I'm unable to make the Falkirk exhibition but I'd be very interested to see any pictures you take. I've ordered some of the Peco kits and will get some Railtec transfers with the intention of making an N version of the wagon in the original post. It's not accurate, I know, but if it looks sort of ok, that'll do for me.
(not Dr.) Al

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations