!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...  (Read 38781 times)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
Re: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:52 pm »
Coming on a treat, ballasting looks good too, not too perfect  :thumbsup:

It is a long term goal to replace this set with at least 1 full length Swallow train. Dapols new model looks excellent and I would be keen to see it alongside the latest Farish offering for a back-to-back test. Does anybody here own a Dapol unit? Is it possible now to roster a full rake using Dapol MKIIIís? Whatís verdict on the Farish offering? Has it been re-tooled or is it just cosmetic updates?

Missed this question somehow! I have both Farish (China) and Dapol versions. The Farish version runs well enough due to a new chassis, DCC-conversion is a solder-job however and the body detail is unchanged, so still very poor with printed-on lights and generally not much detail. The Dapol version is a world apart! Excellent detail on body sides and the roof detail is amazing. DCC conversion is a plug-in affair and the working directional lights are very accurate with low intensity marker lights and brighter head lights. The only criticism I can level, and one that applies to many of the DMUs around also, is that the dummy car is too light and the lights tend to flicker over pointwork sometimes. The addition of some lead strip inside sorts it  ;)

One thing I didn't do was buy the Dapol coaches. They are very nice and as well-detailed as the PCs, but at nearly 20 quid a pop I personally don't think they're worth the extra over the Farish ones, especially as I already have more than enough  ;D If I was buying from scratch however I would probably go with the Dapol ones. As for availability it's the same as everything else nowadays - they get released in batches and you have to be quick or pre-order to get them before they go! Also I don't think the Buffet and TGS have seen the light of day yet?

Hope that helps  :thumbsup:

Paul

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »
Hey there 

Well people keep saying nice things (thanks Dave / railbug), so I guess I better keep posting...

Next came the completing of the road surface ďup the hillĒ. This went well and the results can be seen below. 

Also just visible are they green patches one the hard standing that show where I filled in gaps using Milliput. This was the first time I had used this product and I think I will be using it again. So long as you keep it as instructed so it doesnít go hard, itís a doddle to work with.

It was at this time (late 2010) that I decided to pay my first visit to the Warley show. It was a superb exhibition and, as with this yearís event, I came away with a keepsake (or four)....

I tend to buy bigger purchases at exhibitions like Warley and these four beauties had been on my wish list for some time. BUT, once again the course of the un-painted wagon interior strikes!! These Seacows are some of the best wagons that Farish offer...but I donít recall ever seeing bare plastic inside an engineering wagon on the network 

Shall have to have a crack at some wagon loads.

Anyway onwards and upwards.  Also seen in this shot is my first scenic corner, with Lyddle End power sub-station and lovely (if a little pricey) Kato etched fencing from Sharp Models. Fencing was another area I spent a lot of time thinking about, and as I write there are four types on the layout.

This shot shows the wonderful modern warehouse that the increasingly (and deservingly) famous eBay seller ďjeff0052Ē provided me. Excellent quality and very good service. Despite the best efforts of Royal Mail who managed to lose my first model, jeff then provided a replacement in double quick time. However, as is normally the way with these things, the original item arrived! I offered to return the warehouse, but happily jeff had already been compensated.

So I ended up with a spare warehouse, which was promptly used to provide stick-on detail for a smaller (Kestral) plastic warehouse. My FedEx depot now needs some vans and a proper security gate to compliment the (again Kato) ďPallasideĒ fencing.

I am rather happy with my colour match (a mix of warning panel yellow and stone grey acrylics), even though it doesnít look as good on photos.

Stay happy all!

Skyline2uk 
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »
Sprintex, thank you for your detailed response. All noted for the day when I get space for a mainline blast to Paddington....

Just one more question, you say the Farish example runs well, how about the quality of the Dapol running qualities? If its anything like my 67 it will be a no-brainer :-)

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »
Couldn't find the relavent thread, but I thought I would share one of the eBay bargins I have had over the course of this layout.....

......This little gem cost £40.00, and works perfectly. Its in my second favourite passenger livery (looked good on HST's too for the short time it was on them).

@ Moderator, feel free to move this to the "eBay bargin" thread if there is such a thing!

Skyline
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »
Filton TMD has gone into temporary storage in preparation for the imminent arrival of pals for my birthday bash.

But I recently received three of these NSE clocks for "Filton West" (tank will be pleased to know the NSE red attack continues apace!).

If you fancy some then he has four left on the 'bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NSE-STATION-CLOCK-N-GAUGE-MODEL-RAILWAY?item=120636086907&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7048136901894578585

I have also been given some Farish passengers (standing and sitting  ;)) for the aforementioned  birthday from Beloved. Not allowed to play with them till the big day though  :(

I am really pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Farish figures; many more will eventually come to live in the Industrial Filton lands....
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »
That seller is great, and he has a lot of NSE models.  He only made OO gauge clocks, bins, signs and cameras, but I convinced him to make them in N Gauge.  :P  I'm yet to fit mine though.  :(

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
So we have you to thank Tank!

Nice work  :)

I have my eye on a mobile phone mast next, then I think I will rock over to Scalescenes for my signs.

After I my station shelter is completed I may or may not post pictures!

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline SymonC

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21645
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
Filton TMD has gone into temporary storage in preparation for the imminent arrival of pals for my birthday bash.

But I recently received three of these NSE clocks for "Filton West" (tank will be pleased to know the NSE red attack continues apace!).

If you fancy some then he has four left on the 'bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NSE-STATION-CLOCK-N-GAUGE-MODEL-RAILWAY?item=120636086907&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7048136901894578585

I have also been given some Farish passengers (standing and sitting  ;)) for the aforementioned  birthday from Beloved. Not allowed to play with them till the big day though  :(

I am really pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Farish figures; many more will eventually come to live in the Industrial Filton lands....

He only has 2 left now ;D

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 08:03:11 pm »
Does dustylionflower offer commision  8)

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »
I used Electra to get my station signs made up.  They're superb as they were mainly NSE, but some of the older 1970's BR signs as well.  They're also already made with an adhesive backing.

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
Re: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...call a sparky ;-)
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
Like the proverbial bad currency, Skyline is back...

....But as I type this Filton TMD is not. After a successful birthday weekend, the front room is now in a suitable state to re-install the layout. However time to do said event has thus far eluded me. 

For my birthday I have received a lovely cement wagon and Peco Train Shed Unit from a very unexpected source. Beloved sister and her partner actually ventured into a model shop and chose some small gifts for the layout, a very nice thought which will get its own photo entry soon. Beloved herself got me some much wanted DVDs, including Battlestar Galatica (my latest TV passion) "The Plan".

I say soon as camera recently decided to have an electronic tantrum and wipe my memory card. I was very annoyed as I had some great shots from the Southwest Model Show. Did anybody else go to this show? It was great, even if I did get attacked by a Darlek (no, not joking!). I was very tempted to pick up a model Viper Mark II from a Sci Fi stand. Unfortunately he only had the Mark VII which just isn't as magic :-)

Blimey that was a long speel about not much n gauge! So here is a shot or two of the fiddle yard and my control set-up. Itís a personal triumph of mine that it all worked first time :-P

As soon as its back out I will resume building and blogging :-)

Stay appy

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 09:04:16 am »
Hi Skyline,

Glad to see you back, and it's always a Brucie Bonus when relatives have been persuaded to purchase additions to layouts. I'm still trying to educate mine into getting the correct era stuff tho' :evil:

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »
Hi Skyline,

Glad to see you back, and it's always a Brucie Bonus when relatives have been persuaded to purchase additions to layouts. I'm still trying to educate mine into getting the correct era stuff tho' :evil:

ERA! "You were lucky"... my stepson (not into railways at all) was in Arundel and passing gaugemasters shop paid a visit. He bought me a Metcalfe models coaling stage.......in OO !!! Doogh.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:15 pm »
Hi Skyline,

Hey, I am just grateful they tolerate it :-P

So as mentioned my birthday has come and gone for another year. An early present this year was my new class 60, but I think I will treat myself to a rake of suitable TTAs to go with it (Its Petroleum Sector after all :P).

Itís a buying pattern over the last few years that new locos and rakes arrive in or around March / December. Photo below shows my (excellent) class 67 and parcels stock, together with HAA rake. THAT was a Hattons parcel I wanted to get out of bed for  ;D

One day a Class 58 might arrive to match and haul them....it never ends does it  :evil:

....oh and I have some Perspex that will but cut and screwed into place to protect stock from the edge  ::)
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Online Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:13 pm »
Hey hey....

So still no more progress, other than clearing away birthday presents to make space for the layout. I have however visited "Trainwest" last weekend and had a very nice day.

Only one British n gauge layout, and that wasn't modern, but I spent so much time watching "Leavesden" it didn't matter......

This wonderful 7mm "NSE" era layout totally stole the show for me. I know itís not n gauge but one day, one day in the far far future I aim to have a set up like this running around my garden. Itís so far ahead it might as well be mythical....but one day

Anyway back to scale....

A fantastic layout called "Bishop Wearburn" flying the flag for n gauge 8)

Trade support at Trainwest was very good, with N gauge for sale in large quantities. Unfortunately no stock that I was looking for. So I made do with some bits for another project I have in my head for the layout....yes another one! Does anybody else have a list of things they want to do on their layout that stretches off into the far distance!?

So, no big purchase from Trainwest.

However, I was very very luck yesterday and managed to secure the exact number of a certain wagon I have wanted for some time from "The Kerno Model Centre" at an amazing price. And the number I wanted was the number they had left!!

They were dispatched yesterday and I will put a photo up as soon as the parcel is in my hands...

Only clue for now is that itís a rake to go with my lovely new Class 60   

Anybody like to guess?

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP