Strange Locomotives

Started by daveg, April 28, 2018, 11:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude Dreyfus

Apparently GT3 was a very capable locomotive, especially going over Shap with a 16 coach test train. It was, sadly, pretty much obsolete by the time it was introduced, in terms of being gas turbine and the engine-tender design (it looked rather archaic for the late 50s/early 60s). It also had a somewhat restricting loading gauge - allegedly coming to grief at Crewe when it hit one of the platforms - and didn't corner particularly will at higher speeds.

Despite all this, it is a fascinating loco; right up there with Leader and the Fell in terms of interest. 

Bealman

The GT3 was indeed an interesting experiment, and would make a great and unique model in N.

It has been featured in the mags over the years, and I'm sure there have been folks who have made models of it.

What interests me is that the video says it was originally built by English Electric, however, there is no mention of the GT3 in the mag book "English Electric loco builder extrodinaire".

Were EE or the editor of above publication embarrassed?  :hmmm:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

Golden arrow do a kit for the GT3 in 4mm http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm
They recommend a black 5 chassis which is of course easily available in 2 mm.
The body isn't that complicated, it should be possible to make one in 2mm.

Shiney Sheff

This thread has reminded me that I have one at the back of the cupboard, not sure of it's origins but it's a resin body, I'll dig it out and post a picture.

Bob

The Q

Sounds like the golden arrow kit it's a resin body kit.

Shiney Sheff

Quote from: The Q on April 28, 2018, 09:00:10 PM
Sounds like the golden arrow kit it's a resin body kit.

Not sure as mine is N gauge not OO

Shiney Sheff

Here are a couple of pictures of my GT3, yes it is N gauge, looks like it needs a bit of work to bring her up to scratch again.

Bob

Bealman

How cool is that!

Awesome!

Thank you!  :thumbsup: :beers:

Does it go, and details of the model please?  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Shiney Sheff

Quote from: Bealman on April 30, 2018, 10:38:47 AM
How cool is that!

Awesome!

Thank you!  :thumbsup: :beers:

Does it go, and details of the model please?  :thumbsup:

Yes it does, it will pull at least six coaches up my rather steep inclines.

The chassis is a Poole Graham Farish, not sue of the origins of the body, I bought it about 10 years ago off a certain auction site and the seller said it was a one off made by her father. Gleen from that what you will.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations