LNER teak in N gauge

Started by Cutter, March 27, 2018, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutter

This has probably been covered before many times, but can anyone recommend paints/techniques for representing LNER teak convincingly in N gauge? I've been experimenting, but so far without success. I live in Massachusetts, and can't get paint brands readily available in the UK--although there is some Humbrol to be had.

joe cassidy

Hi Cutter.

I used a tan coloured Humbrol enamel on a matt white Vallejo acrylic undercoat.

The enamel dried with a nice streaky finish that resembles (to me) the grain of the teak.

Best regards,

Joe

Jollybob

I used Revel Aqua Color, wood brown 382. Diluted 50/50 in water and I applied several layers until I was happy wth the colour. I used a matt white spray as an undercoat.

I'm still in the process of tidying it up but here is my example so far...

Rob.

Papyrus

Quote from: Jollybob on March 30, 2018, 03:24:23 PM
I used Revel Aqua Color, wood brown 382. Diluted 50/50 in water and I applied several layers until I was happy wth the colour. I used a matt white spray as an undercoat.

I'm still in the process of tidying it up but here is my example so far...

Rob.

That looks very nice. LNER teak is my favourite 'livery' and I like the method you have come up with.

Cheers,

Chris

Jollybob

A simple method. Not perfect but good enough for me...
It's actually a little deeper in colour but the photo made it come out a little more pale.
The advantage of adding layers on is you can make some shades darker than others, Just like you would find on the real thing.

This is the paint I use. Hope this is helpful.

Rob.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations