Facebook - to join or not to join, that is the queztion

Started by austinbob, March 18, 2018, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

OK @Tank @njee20 never let it be said I don't listen to advice and respond to pressure on this Forum. I'm gonna try Facebook a while longer.
:'(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Tank

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on March 20, 2018, 04:07:28 PM
@austinbob
Strangely enough, I have just seen this..............
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/delete-deactivate-facebook-account-youre-worried-privacy-100144720.html
Yeh Seen that NN.
I've actually tried the deactivation and delete and that works ok. The deletion gives you a couple of weeks grace before the big eraser in the sky does the dirty deed so I have taken the opportunity to continue with my Facebook adventure for a while longer.
I have nothing on my profile except my email and name. I have not set up any friends (don't think I've got any left anyway  :'( :'( )
There is some nice stuff on closed groups to see - including the NGF and the Nporium so I'll give it a bit longer I think
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Tank

ntpntpntp

Quote from: austinbob on March 20, 2018, 04:39:22 PM
.... I'll give it a bit longer I think

Good man - I too thought you hadn't really given it a chance after just a couple of hours.

I remember when I first signed up to FB I felt a little lost on how to use it, I had to ask my teenage son a few things!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2018, 05:48:54 PM
I've sent you a friend request.  :)
Thanks Tank. Sent message off a little while ago - 1st message - hope it worked??

Bob Austin

austinbob

Getting into this Facebook stuff now. Signed up to a few railway groups. They're pretty good but I find it difficult to find new stuff and everything seems mixed up - no topics as such. Loads of nice piccies though.
Wasn't gonna use it for chatting to people but a few of the 'people you might know ' turned out to be old mates I'd not spoke to in a while - now reconnected. Nice bonus that.
Messaged and embarrassed a couple of my grandchildren who said 'why have you posted those daft messages for all my friends to see grandad'.
Granddaughter put me right an showed me how to keep messages private!!
General comment is that Facebook is not very intuitive so its not readily apparent what all the features are and how to use them. Needed to do a bit of Googling and Binging to make progress.
I think I'll keep at this lark a while longer. Easy to see how this might become addictive.

Bob Austin

port perran

Your experiences seem to mimick mine some six months ago.
I still finf Facebook somewhat non intuitive but I use it in much the same way as you.
Keep going.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Snowwolflair

The thing to remember is that Facebook is trying to find particular consumer groups, be this products views or now politics.

If you are an oddball sort, and my apologies but I guess that includes most of this boards membership, you do not meet the criteria of a "useful" Facebook member.  That is one they can turn into money.  The reason for this is that our interest group of manufacturers, etc. like Hornby, Farish, Dapol and the rest don't consume online data to target their customers.

In fact Facebook's computers reaction to most of us will be "Does not compute".  For example I also build model warships and have searched for years for parts, hulls etc.  For the same number of years a large number of companies have been targeting me to sell me a luxury yacht (I wish) but its the closest "normal" group they could associate me with.

This is a simplification but frankly unless you are of the Facebook generation or demographic we are of little interest  to them.  Having said this political demographic may change this, however its the young new voters they want to profile.  For instance they will desperately want to get a handle on the current youth anti gun lobby in the US before the Mid-Term elections.

njee20

QuoteThis is a simplification but frankly unless you are of the Facebook generation or demographic we are of little interest  to them.

:hellosign:

They probably love me. I still don't really have an issue most of it - more transparency would be good, but I'd rather see news stories and adverts which may be of interest to me!

ntpntpntp

I don't see it as a big deal, but then I don't use FB on a phone or use Messenger so they're not going to get call history etc.  I only put the bare minimum of info on my account, and I don't play any of the silly games or sign up for other apps.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

daffy

Quote.....and adverts .....

Adverts?  :veryangry:  Don't get me started on adverts  :no::veryangry2:

But that's another topic. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66