!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Dummy Hymek  (Read 452 times)

Offline GrahamG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10359
    • Awards
Dapol Dummy Hymek
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »
Good evening all,

I've replied to a few posts since joining a few years ago, but have never started a new topic.

I have a green Dapol Hymek which, due to my clumsiness, has had a rather nasty fall. The plastic part of the chassis which goes around where the bogies fit through had broken at both ends. However, the motor still works and the bogies themselves have survived and roll along with no problem.

My question is that, if I were to purchase a dummy Hymek, does anyone know whether it is possible to transplant the motor and any other necessary parts over to get a working locomotive?

I would be grateful for any information and advice.

Graham

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Dummy Hymek
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:07:59 pm »
It is very simple to unclip the body from a dummy Hymek and switch it to a motorized chassis - I regularly change them over. You may also be able to buy a replacement bodyshell pretty cheaply from DCC Supplies. I got a replacement green one a while ago though, although they seem to be out of stock at the moment:

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-110936/class-35-hymek-bodyshell-br-green-syp-d7083-grade-c.htm

It may also be worth looking on that well known internet auction site...

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:54:42 pm »
Unless I'm reading it wrong, I think Graham is asking about transplanting parts of the chassis between his damaged one and a dummy Hymek - not necessarily a problem regarding bodyshells?

I can't advise though as I don't own any Hymeks.  I know some dummy locos from other brands use the same chassis block as the powered version, whilst others may use a simple plastic chassis block to save cost and weight.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:22:38 am »
On mine the dummy chassis looks the same as the motorized version minus the motor, drive shaft and some of the gears in the bogie tower, at first glance it looks like you could certainly use it as a replacement or source of spares, but don't quote me on that.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:40:38 am »
Some time go I repaired a damaged Hymek for a friend, the cast metal chassis having cracked and broken in two on one side around the motor section where it is quite thin. A dummy version was bought with the idea I could use the chassis from it to replace the broken one. IIRC this did not prove possible due to it being a plastic moulding and far too light as well as not accepting the bits from the duff chassis. I ended up gluing a strap onto the broken halves to enable re-assembly of the original chassis. As such I would advise against the purchase of a dummy for motorizing a Hymek.

Izzy

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:11:02 am »
Oops, my bad. I read the post the wrong way round! @Izzy is right, the plastic in the dummy is the same shape as the cast metal chassis and would not allow you to transplant the motor from your damaged one. These 2 photos show the dummy and the motorized chassis:

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 07:52:09 am »
The plastic part of the chassis which goes around where the bogies fit through had broken at both ends.

I'm a bit confused as the chassis is an all metal construction - apart from the small plastic clips that hold the two halves together. Which part(s) have broken?

Cheers

Offline GrahamG

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:26 am »
Many thanks to you all for your replies on this.  I'll have a better look at it later and see if I can post a photo or two. I was assuming it was plastic as it was black in colour.

Graham

Offline GrahamG

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:43:54 pm »
As Clive says, the chassis is metal and the bit that's broken is metal.  I guess weight would be a problem if I used a dummy chassis as a donor. I think my best option will be to look out for a non-running second hand one being sold for spares/repair.

Thanks again to you all for your help and suggestions.

Graham 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here