!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish 4p 4-4-0 poor hauler  (Read 874 times)

Offline Old Crow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Farish 4p 4-4-0 poor hauler
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 11:42:03 pm »
Interesting idea. I've dismantled it and yes it is a bit better but really just too light. Now I seem to have uncovered a meshing problem with the worm, so I'll have to sort that. Never I fear going to be a big hauler, just run the holiday specials so the workers from Grisly moor can go to Grimley for their new clogs.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:19 am »
Now I seem to have uncovered a meshing problem with the worm,

Ah - has this got all brass gears? If so you could also have run into the "worm eating idlers" - if so you'll need to replace the worm on the armature....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:41 pm »
The good news and the bad news! I have given this lots of love and care and thought! Seems to be able to haul it's proper load now and no problem with three Farish coaches - much better than originally, though it doesn't like tight curves.
It has a plastic cog but a brass worm. Once it's running it's really ok but it does have a problem starting and locks up sometimes. Is this a bearing issue? She is an old lady!

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 08:47:23 am »
The good news and the bad news! I have given this lots of love and care and thought! Seems to be able to haul it's proper load now and no problem with three Farish coaches - much better than originally, though it doesn't like tight curves.
It has a plastic cog but a brass worm. Once it's running it's really ok but it does have a problem starting and locks up sometimes. Is this a bearing issue? She is an old lady!

It doesn't really sound like you've properly been able to diagnose the symptoms here as they keep changing!

If it's locking up then that can only be due to something catching on the rods/valve gear, or a damaged/worn gear tooth (on one of the plastic gears - the worm will be fine) or some detritus jammed between gear teeth, or in the worse case a coil out on the armature. It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with bearings, and I don't know what would prompt you to diagnose it as those - if they were damaged then the only way would be through overheating and the motor would therefore be completely jammed up, or run extremely slowly and get very hot.

It doesn't really sound like you've solved the haulage either - if with 3 coaches it's still slipping on curves then there is still some way to go. Have you relaxed the tender pickups? Have you completely removed the tender and run without?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 11:11:22 pm »
It's fine hauling now, just grinds a bit on really tight 9" curves I deliberately put on my test track. The lock-ups are intermittent and something to do with the meshing? - must have another look. Regarding the bearings, just repeating what Bob Lines said about old bearings allowing the worm to mesh too deeply??? Very little in the way of valve gear on these so can't see that being an issue but I'll check as you do loosen all the front end when you remove the body.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:46 pm »
Didn't know you could buy UM parts. Currently, the 4P runs and pulls well but......once it's stopped, it locks up. Sometimes you can get it moving with a push, sometimes it's locked tight. No use as is so might as well dismantle it to see what I can do.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here