!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish New Product Announcement - 2018 Full List  (Read 5523 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish New Product Announcement - 2018 Full List
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2018, 12:55:15 pm »
But I know a lot of people have commented on this as a factor, which I can understand.

Unfortunately, folk assume that a retooled model to do this would cost the same as the existing model - which it almost certainly wouldn't, which is where their argument falls down.

Re: re-tooling locos to accommodate speakers etc I'd be concerned about loss of mass too. The old (non-DCC friendly) Dapol 66s were great haulers, then they removed a load of material to make way for a decoder and they're now nowhere near as good, indeed verging on inadequate I'd say. No idea what the 47 is like, but would be a shame if they went on to compromise locos like the 60, which can still manage prototypical trains with ease.

To be fair, Dapol's retool of the 66 was done poorly - the loss of weight was mostly due to the removal of a mass of metal around the bogie pivots, which did not seem remotely necessary to accommodate DCC (as Farish have demonstrated) - it was just a poor design, much like the plastic chassied class 73s of similar time period.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Simondward

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:49 pm »
Oh wow SWT 450! I was gonna do a small 00 layout just for these, now I don't have to!

New tooling needed for different underframe arrangement i think...

Would be nice to see a 360 at some point - same tooling as 350, just remove gangways and offer 5 car versions!
Simon Ward

'Petit par petit le oiseau construit son nid'

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2018, 01:10:43 pm »
Would be nice to see a 360 at some point - same tooling as 350, just remove gangways and offer 5 car versions!

I.e. not the same tooling, as the ends would have to be retooled to remove the gangway. Plus, they'd be unlikely to modify existing tooling for 350 making it unusable, so this would be a full new tool of at least one the end cars.....

Cheers,
Alan

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2018, 01:34:05 pm »
But I know a lot of people have commented on this as a factor, which I can understand.

Unfortunately, folk assume that a retooled model to do this would cost the same as the existing model - which it almost certainly wouldn't, which is where their argument falls down.

My comment wasn't in relation to the new one specifically, just that it was an oft levelled complaint against buying the 'old' one. I think anyone assuming a new model, even with no change to the tooling (as for the TPE variant), was going to be a comparable price was being somewhat naive - Farish prices have all increased markedly in a comparatively short time. £260 RRP for the 350 isn't a bad price in the context of other offerings, but it's a significant step up from the price the market has got used to on the discounted LM ones. Farish have certainly got an uphill battle on their hands.

Agree re: the 360, it's a bit like saying they could 'just' do a 444 by making the coaches 23m and changing to doors at the end of the coaches.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »
£260 RRP for the 350 isn't a bad price in the context of other offerings, but it's a significant step up from the price the market has got used to on the discounted LM ones. Farish have certainly got an uphill battle on their hands.

Yes, I agree. Some with more money than care will not be bothered, but they might struggle to shift a large number. Though £260 is RRP, meaning it'll be £221 with the normal 15% discount. Still expensive for a re-run of existing tooling.

Agree re: the 360, it's a bit like saying they could 'just' do a 444 by making the coaches 23m and changing to doors at the end of the coaches.

Haha, precisely.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2018, 01:42:44 pm »
A fairly quiet year for me from Farish but the looks of things. The Maroon Hawksworths will be welcome but that is about it.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 01:50:50 pm »
It could get quite expensive for me when these things start hitting the shops.

I want a GWR Castle in the post-war G *Crest* W livery as per the Castle Pullman set - at least I'll be able to recover some money by selling a couple of the Pullman coaches I already own, the track and probably the DCC controller.

Maroon Hawksworth coaches are what I've been waiting for since the Hawksworths were announced.

The revised livery Blue Pullman looks so good and is more appropriate to my Western Region leanings than the original Midland Pullman.

I would rather have had a White/Blue class 101 DMU but I don't think I can resist the class 108 in that livery.

In the update on RM Web it states that the GWR Railcar is in production now.  I look forward to seeing it but I'm not sure I feel the need to buy one as I've got a few of the old Poole and China built ones.

Overall, I'm in the fortunate position that there's plenty for me this year even though I wasn't expecting much.

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
I'll certainly have a 158 but I'm not getting too excited!

After all, whatever happened to the 319 "announced" and also photographed in the 2016/2017 catalogue?

Alec.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2018, 02:09:43 pm »
Ultimately I expected nothing, and I’ve got exactly what I wanted!

Would have a 158 if they did the right livery, but they’re not at the moment. Would quite like a rake of Lafarge JPAs, but not at >£30 each. Literally nothing else in there I can see myself buying.

More money for Revolution and other products!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2018, 02:10:26 pm »
Am I alone in hoping maybe Farish will use the new tooling (if it's possible) of the 8 car Western Pullman to do a full Nanking Blue set at some point as I don't really want the blue/grey with custard ends :no:

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:21 pm »
Am I alone in hoping maybe Farish will use the new tooling (if it's possible) of the 8 car Western Pullman to do a full Nanking Blue set at some point as I don't really want the blue/grey with custard ends :no:

They are not doing the 8-car sets, they are still the 6-car Midland sets.

In 1966, the MR Pullman sets were transferred to the WR. They were fitted with MU jumpers so they could be run as a single 12-car set (usually on the Bristol Pullman services). They were repainted into reverse Blue/Grey colours around 1970 IIRC. The 8-car Western Region sets never received MU cables but were repainted around the same time.

I don't think Farish are likely to do the 8-car sets as there are too many differences between them and the existing 6-car sets. The 6-car sets were formed DMBF MFK TF TF MFK DMBF wheeras the 8-car sets were formed DMBS MS TFK TF TF TFK MS DMBS. Only the TF (Trailer First) was common between the 6 and 8-car sets, all the other vehicles were different.

Producing the 6-car sets after their transfer to the Western is a fairly easy change as it is just a slight change to the front ends. Doing the 8-car sets would involve tooling up 3 complete new bodyshells (DMBS, MS and TFK). then you consider the existing BP only has 3 unique vehicles, you can see it would cost almost as much to produce the 8-car sets as it would the 6-cars, there is very little commonality between them.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2018, 03:21:09 pm »
 :oopssign:
I should have read it more closely.
Still, that'll save me a pot of money and I can get 3 locos for the price

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2018, 03:32:50 pm »
No UK EMU or DMU has through wiring apart from Hornby/Arnold Belle, and the forthcoming Pendolino.

Hi

As far as I am aware the Pendolino has a decoder in each of the end cars so doesn't have through wiring.

From the revolution trains web site

DCC sound factory fitted in both power cars will be available for an additional £95 per set with sounds from Legomanbiffo – there will be two DCC
decoders with two speakers (one in each driving car)

Cheers

Paul

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2018, 03:59:54 pm »
The Pendolino has through wiring purely for pick up (we wanted to just use one decoder originally but it became too complex for the coupler connections).

I completely understand why people dislike price increases, but comparing the discounted costs of a 350 produced in 2012 (?) with a new production run is misleading - they are being heavily discounted to clear stock but a new production run in new liveries will cost significantly more than it did 5-6 years ago).  The major price increase of a re-run are not typically someone making more money but simply increased assembly costs (it depends of course on how many runs a model is amortised over).

DCC sound - fitting in a Next 18 socket/decoder and speaker will remove some mass but it shouldn't be too detrimental for most locos.  I don't know what margin Bachman got on the £60 price increase for the DCC sound fitted 40 but I can't imagine that it is a massive cash cow for them (certainly not compared to the costs of new tooling to fit sound), so I suspect it is them finally realising the demand for factory sound fitted N gauge exists (see how quickly the 40, Castle and DMU sold).  I haven't looked at our figures for the split recently but at one point we were selling about 40% DCC sound fitted items.

Cheers, Mike

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2018, 04:15:06 pm »
To be fair I'm not sure if anyone is saying that, I wholly agree that anyone expecting that is sorely misguided, was merely hypothesising as to the reason the old production run didn't sell well, and how, unless they've changed that, I wonder if a similar fate will befall these new ones, particularly the TPE ones. I expect the SWT ones to appeal to a sufficiently different group of people.

I hope it does sell well for Farish though, it's a great model and a shame (for them) they're being punted out cheap!

I think Bachmann have been quite shrewd on their sound pricing - at £60 I think that's an absolute no brainer, whilst Dapol's £100+ is more akin to an aftermarket upgrade and I'd be less keen. Would be great to see sound fitting rolled out more widely, and one assumes that's a likelihood given the popularity of previous models.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything