British Model Railway Awards 2017 - Vote for us!

Started by guest2, January 06, 2018, 10:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Lankyman

A rubbish survey, in my opinion. However I did vote for the NGF which is all that matters.

Ron
Ron

Roy L S

Stuart7358

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Bob Tidbury

That will have to be model of the year and Revolution /Rapido as manufacturer of the year ,So thats that solved no need to bother putting the survey on as its a forgone conclusion.
Bob Tidbury

Tank

Thank you very much once again everyone.  Keep those votes coming in! :)

Andy Y

Quote from: Bob G on January 07, 2018, 09:21:38 AM
Done.

I note TINGS is also missing, as are Dapol from a lot of the N gauge votes. Looks like a lot of pre-judgement has gone into the vote already.
Who puts this thing together?

I do.

If I may, I would like to clarify how entries are selected. If a new product has come to market it is normally automatically selected for its category, e.g. N Gauge Rolling stock, the manufacturers are then selected from those who have produced new entries. Arguably those who have produced products but no new ones within a scale e.g. Dapol in N could be included but that means I would have to include other manufacturers in other scales who have not released any new products in a year, within O gauge in particular this would result in a long list of niche manufacturers who are not investing in new products.

Beyond that there are categories for layouts, exhibitions, websites and modellers which are opened up for nominations from everyone, not just RMweb members; a shortlist of ten is then drawn up based on the number of nominations. NGF received several nominations so it made the Top 10, I have just checked the list of nominations for exhibitions and TINGS only received one nomination, not enough to get anywhere near the Top 10. Therefore the Top 10 is solely down to those who took the time to nominate and not down to me or any other individual.

Quote from: RailGooner on January 07, 2018, 12:46:28 PM
I know that the purpose of this poll is to be a marketing vehicle for BRM - and that's why BRM readers get to shortlist some categories -  but I wonder by what rationale was any shortlisting applied to this category? :thumbsdown:

It's nothing of the sort. I helped Model Rail take their 'Model of the Year' poll online supported by MREmag many years ago. Three years ago they decided they didn't wish to hold the poll in conjunction with 'competition' so I continued to produce the poll independently. It's naturally very much an RMweb vehicle (that's my job!) and the results are published in BRM. Voters do not have to give any personal details in voting and it is not used for any marketing to voters. Most of the manufacturers are keen to know the outcomes and enjoy the recognition given by the wider hobby and it is recognised as the most representative survey and many of the winners proudly display their certificates at shows or in their offices.

Good luck in the poll. I don't see any reason for the more unpleasant jibes made by some in the topic, I'm more than fair and open on the processes and there is no justification to assume there are any agendas.

The results will be published in full with the number of votes achieved for all entries (not all polls do that) in due course.

Bob G

Quote from: Andy Y on January 09, 2018, 10:09:41 AM
Quote from: Bob G on January 07, 2018, 09:21:38 AM
Done.

I note TINGS is also missing, as are Dapol from a lot of the N gauge votes. Looks like a lot of pre-judgement has gone into the vote already.
Who puts this thing together?

I do.

If I may, I would like to clarify how entries are selected. If a new product has come to market it is normally automatically selected for its category, e.g. N Gauge Rolling stock, the manufacturers are then selected from those who have produced new entries. Arguably those who have produced products but no new ones within a scale e.g. Dapol in N could be included but that means I would have to include other manufacturers in other scales who have not released any new products in a year, within O gauge in particular this would result in a long list of niche manufacturers who are not investing in new products.

Beyond that there are categories for layouts, exhibitions, websites and modellers which are opened up for nominations from everyone, not just RMweb members; a shortlist of ten is then drawn up based on the number of nominations. NGF received several nominations so it made the Top 10, I have just checked the list of nominations for exhibitions and TINGS only received one nomination, not enough to get anywhere near the Top 10. Therefore the Top 10 is solely down to those who took the time to nominate and not down to me or any other individual.

Quote from: RailGooner on January 07, 2018, 12:46:28 PM
I know that the purpose of this poll is to be a marketing vehicle for BRM - and that's why BRM readers get to shortlist some categories -  but I wonder by what rationale was any shortlisting applied to this category? :thumbsdown:

It's nothing of the sort. I helped Model Rail take their 'Model of the Year' poll online supported by MREmag many years ago. Three years ago they decided they didn't wish to hold the poll in conjunction with 'competition' so I continued to produce the poll independently. It's naturally very much an RMweb vehicle (that's my job!) and the results are published in BRM. Voters do not have to give any personal details in voting and it is not used for any marketing to voters. Most of the manufacturers are keen to know the outcomes and enjoy the recognition given by the wider hobby and it is recognised as the most representative survey and many of the winners proudly display their certificates at shows or in their offices.

Good luck in the poll. I don't see any reason for the more unpleasant jibes made by some in the topic, I'm more than fair and open on the processes and there is no justification to assume there are any agendas.

The results will be published in full with the number of votes achieved for all entries (not all polls do that) in due course.

Andy
I really appreciated your detailed response here. Like many forums there are some folk who have a conspiracy theory for everything, and I'm pleased that you have debunked many of the myths surrounding the selection of the nominees.
best
Bob

Ollie3440

Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Dalek

Voted, surpised like others about whats in it and whats not, nevermind.

:NGaugersRule:

bluedepot

voted :)

what a strange bunch of stuff to vote for though!  i have no idea about o gauge rolling stock of the year or show of the year or model shop of the year etc. etc.

tim

Chris Morris

I wouldn't have expected Dapol to be nominated for N manufacturer of the year for 2017 based upon what happened in 2017. I'm looking forward to them being manufacturer of the year when/if they bring a brilliant class 50 into the market.

I like the poll and thank Andy for doing it. I see it is a bit of fun but also find the results interesting.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations