Invasion of Privacy!!!

Started by Mr Sprue, December 26, 2017, 04:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Railwaygun on December 26, 2017, 07:54:35 PM
for the paranoid amongst us..

https://globalnews.ca/news/3880186/powerful-video-warns-of-the-danger-of-autonomous-slaughterbot-drone-swarms/

they could target Model Rail enthusiasts!

Pretty powerful stuff...

For what its worth my eldest currently serves in the RAF, on a TOD in Afghan it was drones that aided many accurate targets when he was working shall we say with certain other forces I cant say anymore for obvious reasons!

broadsword

How about an N gauge drone to fly over your layout ?

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Railwaygun on December 26, 2017, 07:54:35 PM
they could target Model Rail enthusiasts!
Surely they are not easily recognised as being different from the Mr Average , , , err oh um
:heart2:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Mr Sprue on December 26, 2017, 08:10:04 PM
it was able to fly back to its pilot!  ;)
That's it - the answer - be ready for the next time, get your own drone and follow it back to it's lair !
That would cause the pestiferous pilot a dilemma -> how to get it home without you discovering  :D :claphappy:

Mr Sprue

Quote from: broadsword on December 26, 2017, 08:25:33 PM

WoW!! That would be totally awesome... Do they really make em that small?

Snowwolflair

I suspect that an air rifle is not a wise choice as they are restricted in law and someone would try to find you at fault.

However

A paint ball gun, of a low power below the legally specified "power" I'm sure is another matter, as would the numerous foam dart guns, some of which pack quite a punch at close range (and you can fire a salvo).  :D  There is even one that fires a net with a Spiderman branding.

As far as where you can shoot them, I think that drones are subject to the law of trespass, but there are others who may know better on this.

Bealman

I've narrated this on the forum before, but a few years ago I was given a helicopter (not a drone) with a camera on it for Christmas. I was trying it out when it crashed over the back fence into the neighbour's back yard. He has a pool, and although he gave me it back, when he found out it had a camera on it, he seemed a little bit peeved.

I think he thought I was trying to spy on them in the pool, when the simple fact of the matter is that I couldn't fly the thing.

Three years later and I still can't.  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

broadsword

Quote from: Mr Sprue on December 26, 2017, 09:00:12 PM
Quote from: broadsword on December 26, 2017, 08:25:33 PM

WoW!! That would be totally awesome... Do they really make em that small?

There was a story a few years ago before drones were on sale that
the CIA were working on tiny aerial vehicles that looked like flies
and could enter premises via windows, air vents etc, not sure what
happened to the project.

PennineWagons

The French military have an interesting approach to dealing with intrusive drones...

http://fortune.com/2017/02/22/drones-eagles-france/

Sacre bleu!
PW

A.Carter (BiG-T)

I read an article regarding the use of drones around prisons and other areas where they were being used for illegal purposes one of the counter measures used was to fly another drone above the offending one and drop a net onto it causing it to crash.
There was also a case where residents reported the presence of a drone over their gardens on a few occasions and a few weeks later a number of houses and sheds were broken into, it was thought but never proven the drone was been used to spy on too & in too properties (through windows) looking for potential stuff to steal.
Just a thought if you have a layout and stock out in the shed away from the house.
Tony

JohnN

Flying a drone over someone's property could be risky. What if they had a hose on at the time? I would be terrible if it accidentally flew through the spray and stopped working.  :hmmm:  :D

ozzie Bill.

+1 for a hosepipe. There are no laws, as far as I know, regarding the use of domestic water spraying. With the right jet you can get a decent distance ............. .
Have fun!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: JohnN on December 26, 2017, 10:02:35 PM
Flying a drone over someone's property could be risky. What if they had a hose on at the time? I would be terrible if it accidentally flew through the spray and stopped working.  :hmmm:  :D

Now.... I really like that suggestion! :thumbsup: However aiming and firing an unloaded air rifle works pretty good as I found out today!  :)

Bealman

Hasn't been back then? Sounds definitely like a Christmas present, but nevertheless they should have been trying it out in a field somewhere.

I'm lucky to have a paddock directly over the road where I took the above mentioned helicopter. However I never got the hang of it, and its in it's box under the bed I'm sitting on as I type this.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 26, 2017, 07:31:44 PM
Quote from: Zogbert Splod on December 26, 2017, 07:22:28 PM
throwing a bed cover at it from a first floor window.
Which, being "over there", was actually the second floor ?
ducks&runs

I've just had a vision : a sequel to Robot Wars  :laugh:
Oh, I was sent over there to teach the colonials about things of that nature. 
A regular line I used was "Me? Accent? I have NO accent.  I am that basis against which all accents are measured."  To which the usual response was "Huh?"
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations