!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish Class 40 With Sound  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish Class 40 With Sound
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:15 pm »
Looks like it.

I suspect the DCC chip needs fairly close to the 12V to work properly on DC (After all, on DCC they run on 16v AC). I suspect on my WS the additional circuitry for the simulator causes a small drop, even when switched off, that doesn't bother DC locos whose motors are fed direct, but does this as the DCC chip needs to be powered, as does the speaker and it controls the power going to the actual motor.

I too thought my Castle was busted when I first ran it on this particular controller! (though I knew it'd worked before, so was able to figure this out quickly!).

You can always use the Kato controller to power layout lights or accessories.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2018, 04:28:25 pm »
I suspect the DCC chip needs fairly close to the 12V to work properly on DC (After all, on DCC they run on 16v AC).

Is the available current also likely to be an issue? I've not looked to see whether the maximum which can be drawn varies much between different controllers.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »
Is the available current also likely to be an issue? I've not looked to see whether the maximum which can be drawn varies much between different controllers.

No. I have ammeters permanently wired to all my controllers, and they don't draw any significant current - way less than 100mA for the castle, 70mA for a DC Class 40. The current trip on the Gaugemaster controller is 1 AMP - i.e. at least 10x more than these draw.

Therefore it's voltage I think.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything