What are good controllers for N Gauge?

Started by DaveGlew, December 18, 2017, 10:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGlew

Hi All,
I am about to embark on my first N Scale having been in the 00 world for years and I thought I would ask the group for advice on appropriate controllers.
I will be using traditional Cab Control (no DCC here) and I have available (at the moment) a couple of old ECM Compspeed units and a single Gaugemaster unit.
I have heard mixed reviews about feedback controllers on small motors so before I either wreck my motors or spend money un-necessarily, can you please share your views on appropriate controllers?
Thanks
Dave
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Bealman

Hi Dave, there has been much discussion about controllers on the forum over the years.

The search function should bring up much of this for you.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DaveGlew

Quote from: Bealman on December 18, 2017, 10:49:21 PM
Hi Dave, there has been much discussion about controllers on the forum over the years.

The search function should bring up much of this for you.  :thumbsup:

Thanks...... I'll go surfing
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Newportnobby

I have a Morley Vortrack unit for my main layout and a Gaugemaster twin + simulators for my smaller layout.
The Morley has a built-in Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) and hand held controllers with 4.5 metre leads. It came with 2 but I have bought an extra one, and I just really like the hand held option. However, the Morley only has a 5 year warranty while the Gaugemaster has a lifetime warranty. Some on the forum have had cause to test this warranty and they do what they say they will. Both offer good slow running.
The important thing about the controller is that if you have need for 2 controls (e.g. twin ovals) they need separate windings, which both the above controllers have.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations