Intercity MK3 lights

Started by chicky365, December 18, 2017, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicky365

Hello all,
Quick question to the experts, what colour lights should a MK3 Intercity coach have, yellow or white?

I have seen both colours available but do not know if the colour is linked to a certain type (blue/yellow or Swallow etc..) of coach or changed with era? Or is it just down to personal choice?

Thanks

Intercity

I have recently been looking at the same thing, from what I read it seemed many think the white are too bright, the yellow gives a more incandescent style effect, then there are threads on home made ones, the route I may follow (for the cost saving and also greater variance on types of lights).

Also noted in a couple of threads were the issue of how they look in daylight, and how they look in a darkened room (what ambient light do you have overlooking your layout), for a bright room I saw many comments stating it wasn't worth the effort (down to individual preference of course)

njee20

I personally think they're both far too bright and not very realistic. The yellow ones are much too yellow, as opposed to being a warm white, and the white ones are far too cold and stark.

scruff

I don't think the whole perception of light colour is helped by tinted windows..

Cheers
Mark

GWR-Kris

I think the correct ones are the white colour. However giving that if your using the Dapol ones currently they are £8 a pop which is expensive imo, and considering the already mentioned issues such as brightness they are not the best suited, they require minor tinkering to get the best effect. I have heard issues that the white ones are cool white not warm white, so they give a blueish tint.

njee20

Realised I linked to my own Google Photos account earlier, so the photo doesn't display, but this is the white one. It's actually correct for the FGW ones, as they did use a cold white light, but IMO it still looks excessive, and it looks flat wrong in older coaches like the Swallow ones.

[/url]
Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.rackonly.com

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations