!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Detailing 3f and 4f locos  (Read 1112 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Detailing 3f and 4f locos
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 10:09:56 pm »
Thanks Alan for your input, sounds like I have bought the correct ones then, most pics seem to show the early emblem, its hard to tell with the angle of the pics plus they look dirty. The loco of the number I am using is from Trafford Park Manchester, and was actually withdrawn in 1960 so it will be ok for me. I have pics in a book of loco's seen in the Bury area, unfortunately the only 3F's were actually old class 27 L & Y engines, lots of 4F's and 2Mt's. There is a pic of a immaculate 2mt taken in 1957 with its early emblem, unfortunately the 4fs etc you could not tell from the pics what emblem they had. A bit of modelers licence Is called for I think, thanks again. Thanks for the tip of looking on Flickr I will look on there too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:12:27 pm by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 11:46:54 pm »
I have made a start on my 3F, not sure if to replace the injector pipe down the side of the boiler with a piece of wire a touch larger than the handrails, I do not want it looking better on one side than the other. I intend to try to fabricate some sort of reverse lever probably out of some leftover brass etch or maybe styrene. I hope to try and fit D&G couplings at the same time. Pics to follow eventually.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 11:12:28 pm »
These are pics of my detailing work on my Union Mills 3f. Not sure about the injector pipe, if I have made it a touch to large. The handrails and chimney are N-Brass bits, I intend to fit lamp irons and more handrails to the cab yet, also coal rails to the tender. I might make a shorter link out of some styrene to bring the tender closer to the loco. Not sure what paint to use yet on the finish, I know it should be matt black but enamel or acrylic, I have a airbrush. Any advice on painting will be appreciated.

The Loco is fitted with a CT decoder and I intend to fit D&G couplings. I have made one coupling which fits into the Union Mills coupling box, I will try holding it in place with the spring or I may pack the box with styrene, I will see which works the best.
Lil Chris

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:10 am »

My interpretation of drawings in "Midland Engines: the Class 3 Belpaire Goods engines" by Hunt, Essery & James is that they give a bore for the injector pipe of 2 1/4 in with the outside diameter seeming to be about about 2 1/2 in

Richard

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 12:30:00 am »
Thanks Richard, I have used 0.5mm brass rod, looking back at previous posts it should be ok then. The N-Brass ones are small, someone said I could use 0.3mm for handrails thats why I have used 0.5mm. I also tried to thin it down at the front because it looks slightly smaller on one of my refference pics. Once its painted it will not stand out so much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:32:53 am by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:35 am »
I also tried to thin it down at the front because it looks slightly smaller on one of my refference pics.
The injector pipe should end approx mid way along the smokebox. Some locos had a short section of handrail ahead of this (this will be the "smaller section" in your pic) others had nothing.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 10:16:37 am »
Thanks for the information guys,must admit I am finding this hard work but very satisfying.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 11:34:13 pm »
This is the latest pic of work on my Union Mills 3f, the rear h/rail looks a little out, it had moved slightly so corrected that since the pic. Work on the tender next, fitting the coal rails, the n-brass ones look a little bit different but I am confident I can make them look right. I am also thinking of fitting hand rails to the tender, i want to remove has little metal has possible from the tender so I do not effect the good running.

Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 03:51:06 pm »
A lot of work on the loco and the tender. I have fitted coal rails,hand rails,and lamp brackets to the tender. The loco has the handrails plus to the boiler and cab plus lamp brkts. Some of the lamp brackets are N brass and some are made from staples after taking Alanís advice, has it happens I have one of those small staplers, they are a nice size. Ready for painting now,pics to follow.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:54 pm »
A few pics showing the model ready for the paint shop.

her is a pic of the 3f from the rear, not sure if there should be a coal rail across the rear in front of the water section. I can add them if there should be, but I have no pics for me to check.
Lil Chris

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 10:06:15 am »
There are no clear pics of the real thing here, but several models seem to have no rail at the back of the tender so yours looks quite right if we assume everyone else has got it right :hmmm:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lms+class+3f+0+6+0+tender+locomotive&client=opera&hs=u5o&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9z6L5oOHYAhXKDMAKHUk9CpUQ7AkIPg&biw=1366&bih=658

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
Thanks Mick, my reference pic's shows a solid rail at the front of the tender so that is what I have done. More work  painting a coat of primer, which also highlighted the fault on the side of the tender, so a bit more work required there. Otherwise it's order a new tender body from Union Mills, I feel its getting there slowly. I have done more work since these pics so it looks even better.

Lil Chris

Offline Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 10:19:20 pm »
You are doing a really nice job of the detailing.  If you have got access to vol 1 of illustrated review of midland engines (Jenkinson and Essery), page 77 plates 123 and 124 have detail views of the top of a Johnson tender (3250 gal). There is no coal rail in front of the water section, there is a small bulkhead (extends to half height of the curved section) which the authors say wasnít very good at restraining coal.  Some tenders did have all round coal rails, but the authors say there isnít information to indicate how many tenders were fitted out this way (page 85 plate 132).  Hope this helps

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 10:57:18 pm »
Thanks for the information @Rowlie , I do not have that book, I will have to keep a eye out for that in the future. I think I am happy with what I have done, I am almost ready now for the next coat of paint, trouble is I have been watching the snooker. Pics to follow when I have painted the black coat.
Lil Chris

Offline Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 11:30:48 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the next set of pictures, you have captured it well. 

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here