!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Twinklekev's workbench  (Read 558 times)

Offline twinklekev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
Twinklekev's workbench
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:49:19 am »
So...

After building the coal wagon and cattle truck (see my other post elsewhere on the forum) I thought I make a start on the coach conversion I've been wanting to do ever since Bernard Taylor first put the kit up on his website. I finally managed to get my hands on a H38 kit a couple of months ago and so yesterday afternoon I made a start on the chassis.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

An extra white metal battery box, a pair of white metal dynamo's and 4 pieces of 3.2mm dia styrene rod 1/2" long to make the gas tanks.

All held in place with quick set epoxy adhesive. I also had to make a slight alteration to the 9ft Dapol autocoach bogies so they sat flat and rotated smoothly (this isn't mentioned in the instructions by the way). Next job, paint it all a nice flat black to match the rest of the chassis. Then tables, diners, and a proper paint job on the seats.

The body modifications will follow once I've got that far.

Twinklekev

Offline DavidK71

• Awards
Re: Twinklekev's workbench
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »
Making unusual coaches like restaurant cars is fun :) One quibble, though: are you sure about the two dynamos? All the coaches I've ever seen (and the reference photos of H38s I have) only seem to show one.

Comet Models do a H38 in 4mm - their website is very useful for underframe and roof plans (and general notes): see http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Catalog/pdf/W26.pdf These aren't infallible, though, as it's noticeable that the PDF shows only two battery boxes opposite each other, but the photographs in Russell show three.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:06:56 pm by DavidK71 »

Offline twinklekev

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:19 pm »
Hi DavidK71,

The two dynamos could be wrong, who knows? It's very hard to find good photographic evidence of what is under most coaches at the best of times so I'm going to employ that good old standby, "modellers licence".

I've made a couple of tweaks to the dapol autocoach bogies so that the sit better and rotate freer and I now have a painted rolling chassis. Next stop, the body.

Twinklekev.

Offline twinklekev

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:16 pm »
So, having added the extra underframe parts necessary for a restaurant car. A couple of coats of black paint and hey presto, a rolling chassis.

I'm still undecided on whether to use the turned brass Collet buffers or stick with the moulded ones.

Anyway, now on to the body.

Offline twinklekev

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 02:21:33 pm »
Hi folks, Twinklekev here again.

Mrs Twinklekev hasn't been well lately so modelling has had to take a back seat to domestic chores. Anyway, I found some NGS mineral wagons on a well known auction site, put in a bid and blow me if I didn't win!

So, here are some photo's of progress so far. Next job, transfers.

Twinklekev
Painting sides and ends before assembly.
Fully assembled and awaiting transfers

Offline twinklekev

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:33 pm »
Hi all, Twinklekev here again.

So, its been quite a while since my last post. Things haven't been great on the health front and there was an enforced change of employment but things are starting to look up. So much so that the kit building has started up again and a 4x2 base board has been constructed and is now awaiting track.

Anyway, kit building; so here we have a Slimrails open C as built and a Peco 7 plank wagon modified to represent an open B.

Further updates as they happen.

Twinklekev

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything