!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Loco servicing guide  (Read 361 times)

Offline Dsolds

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Loco servicing guide
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:42:25 pm »
Apologies if this has been posted. I did search but couldn't find anything. Anyway, I see in some threads that members seem to service their own locomotives which is something I am keen to learn how to do. Are there any guides for this please?

Thanks. Dom.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Loco servicing guide
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:45:06 pm »
Graham Farish do a service sheet for most current locos. Available from their website. I believe Dapol just do an oiling chart, again on their website.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Delboy

• Awards
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »
Thanks for posting the links Delboy. Difficult for me to do that on my phone.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »
Thanks for posting the links Delboy. Difficult for me to do that on my phone.
Your'e welcome Bob.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:48:10 pm »
The service sheets are a good start, but to be honest a lot of loco servicing comes down to experience, ie. knowing how these little beasties work, how to dismantle and reassemble, how much - or more importantly how little - lubricant to use and what type, how to clean wheels and remove fluff, how to adjust wiper contacts etc.

A great way to learn this is to sit with someone while they service one of theirs. For example at a club evening or with a friend who knows their way round the models.

I'm not a professional "loco doctor" as a couple of the guys are on here, but I've been servicing models since I was a young lad in the early 70s. I used to enjoy running a little doctoring table at my former club's exhibition, where we would invite the public to bring along "little Johnny's" Hornby or whatever and give it a spruce up. No charge (small donation welcome of course!)    If it meant another model up and running and a happy modeller going home to play then perfect outcome!    The classic problems would be over-oiling, carpet fluff and dirty wheels, with the occasional bent con-rod or loose wire.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:58:07 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:37:44 pm »
Very true..
Nothing like a bit of hands on experience. I didn't have anyone to sit with when I tried to do  'maintenance' on my first loco. However, I learnt a hellava lot taking it apart and trying to get it back together. Didn't go well!! so the bits went in the bin.  :'( The second attempt went much better.
 :)

Bob Austin

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 06:14:13 am »
I've learned how to service Poole Farish locos and they are good to start with as they are quite basic and there are very few fiddly detail bits to break off.

I've serviced a few of the newer locos and have even replaced valve gear on a Farish Jubilee ( which was really fiddly and nerve wracking ) but I must admit that I'm wary of the newer Farish and Dapol locos because they have so much fragile detail.

I have a Farish class N with damaged valve gear on one side and ordered the spares to replace that but when the parts arrived my courage failed me so that will be sent to one of the experts next time I'm in the UK.

In future if I need servicing done I think I will be sending my locos to someone who has better eyesight and co-ordination.

I can still do wheel cleaning. fluff removal and lubrication but once it comes to removing the loco body it gets a bit tricky.

Offline tunneroner61

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:46 am »
Try here too;

http://thefarishshed.com/

Norman

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:08 am »
Try here too;

http://thefarishshed.com/

Norman

Not seen this before - some interesting stuff!!
 :thankyousign:

Bob Austin

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:09:56 am »
Is The Farish Shed more for repairs than servicing?

Offline tunneroner61

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:19:38 pm »
The Farish Shed certainly shows you how to repair Poole era locos, so by implication it shows you how to service them too. Servicing can be as basic as a wheel clean and oil through to a complete chassis strip down and replacement of worn parts eg brushes, split gears etc. It all depends on how far the individual wants to go.

Norman

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything