!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Matchstick/thin wood cutter?  (Read 130 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Matchstick/thin wood cutter?
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:32 pm »
Hello,

There seems to be surprisingly few options on the usual eBay/amazon sites. The common “chopper” blade type have differing reviews. Does anybody have a recommendation?

I’m currently thinking sharp Stanley knife but I’m worried about how square and accurate I can get every cut.

Be interested to hear what others use.

Thanks
Paul
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Offline ScottishModeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24524
    • Awards
Re: Matchstick/thin wood cutter?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:21:22 pm »
Hello,

There seems to be surprisingly few options on the usual eBay/amazon sites. The common “chopper” blade type have differing reviews. Does anybody have a recommendation?

I’m currently thinking sharp Stanley knife but I’m worried about how square and accurate I can get every cut.

Be interested to hear what others use.

Thanks
Paul
Hi paul,

I've had a chopper for some time and used it until fairly recently with good results.

Over time I've replaced almost all of the parts that make it up except the base plate.

Ialways start a new job with a new blade - it does make a difference to the quality of the cut.

You can also tell when you need to change the blade as the cut quality becomes a lot poorer over time.

However, if it's long cuts either across or with the grain, I don't use the chopper.

I use my Minicraft desktop circular saw.

Used in exactly the same way as a full size circular saw bench it makes a good job of the cutting.

Of course, you need to set it up with a fence (or fences) to set the cut width, but the time taken is repayed with the quality of cut and the ease of repeating the cuts.

I recently had an American HO 'Craft Kit' to build that was all wood and it didn't have all the wood I needed!

Having priced up buying the actual sectio wood I didn't buy it due to cost - almost £30.00.

I went to the hobby shop and bought sheets in the required thincknes and then cut then to the required widths at a cost of £12.00.

Much better!

So - use the tool that does the job you want it to.

There are options other than the chopper.

Thanks

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here