!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Controller advice please  (Read 276 times)

Offline flyingthistle

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Controller advice please
« on: November 29, 2017, 09:15:41 pm »
Hi forum don’t know if this has been answered before but I have an HM2000 controller and a gauge master twin track controller which one would be more suitable to run my trains as some of my Kato trains fade out at higher speeds with the HM2000 I don’t really want to buy a new controller any advice would as always be gratefully received thanks in advance

Andy

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Controller advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:54 pm »
What do you mean by "fade out" ?  Both of those controller should be able to power your models.   I think the HM2000 is a PWM controller, not sure about the Gaugemaster - but if the latter is pure DC you might find it kinder to the motors.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:52:11 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline flyingthistle

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:12:59 pm »
What do you mean by "fade out" ?  Both of those controller should be able to power your models.   I think the HM2000 is a PWM controller, not sure about the Gaugemaster - but if the latter is pure DC you might find it kinder to the motors.
What I mean by fade out is that it is a brand new Kato TGV I ran it in but when I hooked up the entire train and run it at slow speed it was ok but when I I turned up the power the train stopped but came alright when I restarted it

Offline Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »
I don't have a particularly high opinion of the HM2000. I used one to test/run in a few 00 locos, and the level of control was not good even for them. I didn't even consider it for N gauge.
Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »
 some of my Kato trains fade out at higher speeds with the HM2000

Might you have answered your own question there Andy? If your Katos perform OK using the Gaugemaster, there you go. :beers:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline flyingthistle

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:14:48 pm »
I don’t know because the layout is hooked into HM2000 have not tried Gaugemaster was basically looking for advice if I should change over controller because I used the HM for my OO layout and was not sure if it was too powerful

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:23:49 pm »
Similar question/discussion running on the NGF Facebook page at the moment.
A controller can't be "too powerful", at least not in terms of amps.  A motor draws the current it needs, a controller can't "force more into it".   If the output voltage goes too high that's another matter, but both controllers you mention are intended for what are nominally 12V model railway systems.

Where I might be concerned is whether the overload cut-out on the HM2000 might be tuned too high as it's marketed for OO gauge models which draw more current than N.  That said, I'm surprised at your comment that your Kato TGV seems to cut out at higher speeds. Kato motors are usually pretty efficient low current draw and should be well below the overload threshold of the HM2000. 

It does sound like an overload cut-out, perhaps there is a fault in the TGV - could even be in the unpowered car if that has lights?   Are you sure it's not a trackwork short,  are all your other locos running ok?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline flyingthistle

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:35:14 pm »
It could be a short as it is a second hand layout I bought so that is possible but I have changed onto the gauge master controller and the glitch with the TGV has not appeared so I think I will stay with this controller.

Many thanks for all the advice and help it has been invaluable

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here