Class 31, 37 and 47s

Started by Intercity, November 29, 2017, 04:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intercity

Looking for a little advice on the above classes, I am going to be modeling early 90s through to the 2000s with a large helping of rule one, so region isn't an issue (pendolinos along side southern Class 73s etc),

I am looking to increase the fleet with a helping of 31s, 37s and 47s, and wondered if there were examples to avoid (I rather not end up with shop queens), each class I would like to split between passenger and freight (Reggie railways has been a favorite, and for the 47s Intercity and VT would be ideal)

So any recommendations on which ones to look out for would be appreciated

Newportnobby

I can't help you with 'modern' liveries but you could say the chassis is the important bit as the rest is just a paint job. I have 2 x 31s, 2 x 37s and 2 x 47s but they are all green. One of the 31's is the earlier version with no lights but all the others have lighting and are very smooth, strong runners. The older 31 and one of the 47s have had a split gear replaced but I have had them a very long time.
Regardless of what version you get, you could be unlucky and get a lemon or you could be perfectly OK.
It's not predictable.

bluedepot

just check they are the new versions if you want lights / dcc ready and the more detailed model

if not bothered about that then just buy whatever you like but don't get ripped off and i wouldn't really pay more than about 35 quid for the older models of these diesels

to be fair the older 31 is quite good appearance wise though imo

good luck

Tim

ntpntpntp

Avoid the old Lima 31, cheap and cheerful, over size and not the best runner.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

bluedepot

yeh totally just avoid lima and trix if I were u

I meant the older farish 31 not bad

Tim

ntpntpntp

Quote from: bluedepot on November 29, 2017, 08:57:27 PM
yeh totally just avoid lima and trix

Totally avoid (Mini)Trix ?  Don't think I'd go that far.  Good powerful haulers, though course the "27-ish" is a bit large and used a very old design continental chassis . 

Anyway, I understood from other British N modellers that the 47 wasn't a bad model?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

railsquid

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 29, 2017, 09:04:57 PM
Quote from: bluedepot on November 29, 2017, 08:57:27 PM
yeh totally just avoid lima and trix

Totally avoid (Mini)Trix ?  Don't think I'd go that far.  Good powerful haulers, though course the "27-ish" is a bit large and used a very old design continental chassis . 

Anyway, I understood from other British N modellers that the 47 wasn't a bad model?
It's certainly in a different league to the 27, and for a 1980's model not bad, the cab ends do look a little clunky. Good "layout loco", maybe not something for the rivet counters. No DCC of course.

railsquid

Quote from: Intercity on November 29, 2017, 09:40:06 PM
Thanks guys, looks like the key thing is DCC ready and I should be good to go, I keep forgetting that shells/bodies can be easily swapped.
Bear in mind you might end up with an inaccurate combination of body and underchassis detail, and potential lighting incompatibilities.

Dr Al

I would not swap old bodies on to new chassis - the old Farish 47 wasn't that accurate (stretched vertically), and therefore fit will be at best dubious. Also the new tool models have lighting PCBs built into the bodies.

So best to keep it to all new-tool, or all old-tool, and repaint where appropriate.

In terms of mechanism, the new tool model is very good, DCC ready, though has that old Farish bugbear of occasionally getting split gears. Indeed this week I've changed out no less than 6 split gears on 3 different new tools 47s (and one on a 37), all from different production runs. So have a few spare gears on hand, though it is much much less common than Poole days.

Minitrix 47 was said as being accurate for its day, but is pretty dated now - with a slightly strange nose that stuck out too much below the windows. They aren't that common to pick up these days and still command quite a high asking price, money IMHO better spent on a newer model, or a new model with a warranty (bear in mind the newest Minitrix 47 is over 20 years old, the newest Poole Farish is over 17 years old, some of the earliest ones as old as 36!).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

njee20

Quote from: Intercity on November 29, 2017, 09:40:06 PM
Thanks guys, looks like the key thing is DCC ready and I should be good to go, I keep forgetting that shells/bodies can be easily swapped.

I wouldn't, frankly. Trying to do so between eras will be a total minefield as Dr Al said, but even within a model there's little trade for second hand bodies - unless someone like BR Lines has the one you want I wouldn't go buying a loco with the aim of swapping bodies. Repaints are a better idea.

The latest 37 is a really nice model, although it rides a bit high. There are guides to fixing that if you're bothered. Can't speak for the 47 or 31. Regional Railways 37s should still be available, but you may struggle with the 47s, they've not done Virgin or Intercity Swallow for a good while.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations