!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Dsolds

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 08:30:00 pm »
Today's update is rather mixed. The good bit was receiving a parcelette from BR Lines which contained a chassis for me to start making the water tender for the A1 and some Hob-E-Lube for the locos. Excellent stuff.

Next was that I have successfully fitted a decoder to the 57xx loco but it has confirmed I need a work magnifier of some sort. Have to trawl Amazon unless anyone has some suggestions. I also need some kind of servicing cradle for N gauge; my old OO one (home made) is way too big.

Then the not so good bit. Due to my mis-measuring I had to find a way of removing 28mm or thereabouts from the 2nd part of this layout. After some contemplation I figured I would lose one section of outer track at the back end rather than try and shorten the bit where it joins. It meant sawing the full length of the board rather than just a couple of feet but it did make much more sense to do it that way, which is what I did. See the image below, where the points turn out to the edge of the board there used to be another track which actually re-joins the existing track just after the bottom bend.

What I have also discovered is that this ballast seems to have been laid with very hard glue, I suspect a 50/50 mix of PVA and water. Can anyone offer a pointer on how to soften it before resorting to a chisel please? I obviously now need to remove 2 sets of points and I would rather not destroy any more track than I have to.  :thumbsup:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:15 pm »
I would suggest warm water should release the glue but maybe others have a better idea.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:48 pm »
If a PVA and water mix was used, then as NPN says, water should soften it enough to lift. (Unless waterproof PVA was used).

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:03 pm »
I obviously now need to remove 2 sets of points and I would rather not destroy any more track than I have to.  :thumbsup:

Just a suggestion, but why not leave the points where they are and do a bit of scenikery to show an old disused and/or removed length of track? Might be easier than trying to remove the points and replacing with some straight track.  ???

Addit: You could always solder/glue the points so they can not be set wrong.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:58:11 pm by dannyboy, Reason: Added a bit »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 06:38:29 am »
Next was that I have successfully fitted a decoder to the 57xx loco but it has confirmed I need a work magnifier of some sort. Have to trawl Amazon unless anyone has some suggestions.
I bought an Optivisor.  They're not cheap, but work very well, giving 3-D vision plus an optional light. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optivisor-2-5x-Handsfree-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B006BU3V68
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:40:49 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:51 am »
Just a suggestion, but why not leave the points where they are and do a bit of scenikery to show an old disused and/or removed length of track? Might be easier than trying to remove the points and replacing with some straight track.  ???

Good idea  :thumbsup:

I reckon a resin tunnel mouth on the backboard painted black with a short piece of track leading to it would work.

Offline Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 03:14:27 pm »
OK, I tried the warm water and nothing happened, guess it's waterproof PVA that was used. However, my wife's household steamer does soften it enough to come up without too much drama, just don't tell her I've nicked it.

Just running in one of my new Locos prior to fitting the DCC decoder.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »
Next was that I have successfully fitted a decoder to the 57xx loco but it has confirmed I need a work magnifier of some sort. Have to trawl Amazon unless anyone has some suggestions.
I bought an Optivisor.  They're not cheap, but work very well, giving 3-D vision plus an optional light. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optivisor-2-5x-Handsfree-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B006BU3V68

Id certainly recommend the Optivisor, definitely one of my better buys 8)

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 04:04:29 pm »
I agree with Danny oy. Id leave that point where it is. Just add a few sleepers to make it look like the track has been lifted.
Done well itll look really convincing.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:15 am »
So today's update, not much to report really except that looking at the underside of the 2nd piece of this layout was triggering my OCD. I'm waiting for some baseboard dowels to arrive before I can join the 2 halves together but this wee job simply had to be sorted.

No heatshrink, waiting on a new reel arriving from EBAY. 14 quid for 100 metres versus Maplins 7.99 for 5 metres. No contest. That said, it isn't needed on these thicker wires, mainly the thin ones for lighting need protecting.

Before

After

I also managed to re-brace the underside of this part having cut off 30mm from the left (as you see it in the top image - not sure why the 2nd image has rotated, it's not like that on my PC) and now it will fit the space I have. Happy days.  :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:11:18 am by Dsolds »

Offline Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 09:39:19 am »
OK, final update on this wiring saga, 'cos I've finished it !! :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

The 2nd part of the payout was wired last night, all buzzed through with my multimeter and proven good.

I haven't done the lighting on this side yet for a few reasons but chief among them is that all these LED based items seem to want different voltages. I have been using an old Bachmann DC controller to power them to the level I think looks about right and then measuring the voltage with the meter. Ranges from 3v to 15v with some having built in resistors, some not etc. So, my most recent acquisition is a bench power supply with variable voltage AND variable current, i.e. a proper test instrument. The plan is to work out what LEDs need which voltage and at what current flow and once I have that I shall build some circuits to effectively zone them. That will allow me to have it all looking correct whilst running off one power source, probably that old Bachmann controller.

As it goes I am just playing with some of those 3 volt ones and using a 3v3 Zener diode as a shunt with a current limiting resistor to stop it all burning out seems to be working nicely. It will just be a whole lot easier with the bench PSU.

So, wall battens mounted and ready for when the nextdoor neighbour comes home from work to help me lift section 2 into place. Then we move on to joining the 5 tracks which cross the joint. I have the dowels and some tiny brass screws so that might be a nice job for Sunday.

Dom

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:29 am »
Excellent progress, and I can't wait to see it all in position :thumbsup:

Offline Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 10:23:03 am »
Cheers NN  :thumbsup:

It's not my neatest work ever, but it is safe, solid, reliable and easy to trace faults on. I too am rather looking forward to having it all in place and working. Not really long to go, it's just the track repairs over the joint that I am contemplating. Hmmm. But hey, this is meant to be a hobby and it's for recreation and fun so I shall definitely enjoy the challenge.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here