!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 1086 times)

Online Dsolds

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 03:41:10 pm »
What? You mean another good idea? 2 in one day, I think I'll have to lie down for a bit  :D

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 09:15:27 pm »
OK, so for today's update I got this far. Run out of heatshrink now so going to pour a beer and retire for the evening. Off to Maplin tomorrow to grab some more heatshrink and then probably finish it tomorrow night.

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »
OK, this evening's update. Completed the main wiring on the main part of the layout. An eventful day which included me having to go out any buy a new heat gun for the shrink sleeving. My old one decided to expire in a rather flamboyant manner, expelling a large amount of the silver heat insulation with a bang so loud that I almost soiled myself.

No matter, all the track drops and LEDs are now wired, the points remain to be done but not until I have decoders. Tomorrow will bring a bit of leg making so I can set it in it's correct place.

Looks like I may have done a deal with a shop to exchange all my OO stuff for N Gauge rolling stock so there could be a trip out tomorrow as well.

Dom.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:09:28 pm by Dsolds »

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 04:21:50 pm »
So I did a bit more today, not so much on the construction side of things but more organising some rolling stock. After some negotiation I struck a deal with a shop for all my OO stuff against some N. Came home with these goodies, plus a few more bits. Still got credit to use as well which will be nice when something takes my fancy.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »
That looks like a nice deal.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 04:57:45 pm »
Well I was happy with it and so was the shop. Everyone's a winner. So I got
57xx pannier tank with decoder
A4 Sir Nigel Gresley with decoder
Class 51 Roedeer with decoder
Assorted trucks
Some nice Farish maroon carriages
ReRailing ramp thingy
Various assorted small bits.

That at least gives me something to run in the early days. Shame the A4 had to be Dapol and not Farish, I really am not convinced by the driveshaft arrangement but I guess it must be OK as they have sold loads. Probably just my old school prejudices rising to the fore.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
Nice selection there. Of course you are standing on the top of the slippery slope now.  :D

Offline colpatben

• N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 07:05:39 pm »
So I got
57xx pannier tank with decoder

Nice swaps. I would like any of those.

I see you have a 6 pin decoder, in your photo, are they all the same? because for your Farish Pannier you may need a right angle 6 pin decoder.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/61117/Graham_Farish_371_985_Class_64xx_0_6_0PT_Pannier_Tank_6407_in_GWR_Green/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/60708/Bachmann_Branchline_36_556RA_6_pin_E_Z_Command_90_degree_right_angled_decoder_for_GF_Jinty_DC_Compatible_/StockDetail.aspx

But maybe you did get one.

The Roedeer and A4 will be ok with the 6 pin you show.

We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:22 pm »
Yes, I made sure to get the correct decoder for each loco  :thumbsup:

Offline colpatben

• N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 07:21:31 pm »
Yes, I made sure to get the correct decoder for each loco  :thumbsup:
Excellent, and welcome  :wave: to the world of DCC N Gauge.
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 08:51:27 pm »
So I got

ReRailing ramp thingy

Go careful with that. They have been known to strip traction tyres off locos although it has not happened to me (yet :worried:)

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I'm always careful anyway, it's my boy who is ham-fisted. Lost count of the times I repaired Thomas for him.

As for DCC, I've been around DCC for many years in OO, in fact my Lenz system had such an old revision of firmware it had to be sent away to be updated, not just the EPROM but a power board upgrade as well. I bought the Lenz from Mackay Models at the NEC back in about 2004 I think.

Just looking at the 2 "Black 5" locos I have (Farish) which are analogue. How hard would it be to chip these? (no socket) Or is it too much grief?

Online Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 06:02:36 pm »
OK, so the first of 2 sections is wired and now fitted into the place it will live. Not much else to report other than the previous owner (also on here) came round today and helped me lift it.

His build, which was the original scratch build of this layout can be found here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27417.msg386294#msg386294

Suffice to say his modelling skills are very good indeed and buying this has saved me months of work building from scratch. Although I would have loved to start from the beginning it would have taken more time than I have if I'm honest and this was about the best way to get me going in N gauge.

That said there are some areas which are still to be finished that he never got round to so I shall do my level best to keep up the high standards. The other thing of course it the fitting into the space available. I have to remove about 28mm from the 2nd section somehow in order to get it in. That's not likely to be a simple process. The mistake was made in the old imperial/metric conversions. I assumed they were built on metric 2440 x 1220 MDF boards, but in fact they were 8 foot by 4 foot (which are completely possible to buy) which are a tad bigger. Anyway, I have what I have and will make the best possible job of adjusting it all to fit.

In fact, as I look at it now, if I were to remove the landscape back boards  and set them above the base boards on the wall I would get 14mm back just by doing that so I would be halfway there.

Dom

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:04:36 pm by Dsolds »

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:36 pm »
I remember that layout build. Nice purchase.  :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 02:21:07 am »
Hi Dom,

Just looking at the 2 "Black 5" locos I have (Farish) which are analogue. How hard would it be to chip these? (no socket) Or is it too much grief?

I don't have any experience with chipping Black 5's but I've done a Farish 08. It was a little daunting but actually ended up being very enjoyable, and was in fact my most reliable runner. This was a couple of years ago and I like to think I have much better soldering skills now. If you search long and hard enough you'll find something on Flickr or Youtube that shows you how to do it.

- Andy

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here