Coastal Railways with Julie Walters

Started by daffy, November 26, 2017, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

I thought it was a nice easy watch, I enjoyed the scenery, the banter and would have loved one of those bacon butties  :food:

Cheers John.

daffy

Much better program this week, journeying on the East Coast main line from Newcastle to Edinburgh and across the Forth rail bridge.

Got me thinking of a holiday SWMBO and I could take next year travelling the line with a rover ticket.

Then I thought I'd price it up. All the price reductions I could think of - old folks, Railcard etc, but go in style in First Class. :o

Maybe not. Try Second Class.....  :goggleeyes:

Looks like it would have to be a 'once in a lifetime' trip, cos we'd have no money left to ever do it again. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

port perran

Yes, I enjoyed the NE one.
Looking forward to next week which is down this way.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

Its turned out to be a very relaxing and interesting program. A great change from some of the rubbish that's on telly. Bring on the next episode!!
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

AlexanderJesse

Unfortunately I have not been able to watch it from Switzerland  :'(
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

daffy

Julie travels on God's Wonderful Railway tonight, at 8pm, channel 4.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on December 10, 2017, 11:36:55 AM
Julie travels on God's Wonderful Railway tonight, at 8pm, channel 4.
Looking forward to it.   :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Buffin

Julie is a lovely guide and the railway scenery is stunning.

But the programme fails in its own mission. She says she is going to meet people whose lives have been affected by the railway. Mostly that's not true, though the bakers were an interesting example. It's sad that they can't justify a private owner wagon.  ;)

Why do these documentaries start with two minutes telling you about the series (yes, we know, this isn't programme one), and then a further minute summarising what we're going to see in this programme? Is it to give us time to make a cup of tea?  :hmmm:

austinbob

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Good entertainment but if you take it too seriously then it will disappoint.
Next episode please.
:) :beers:

Bob Austin

daffy

I agree Bob. :thumbsup:  Like all these mainstream travelogue type railway orientated programs, they are never going to be about the trains per se. But this one has been better than most in that respect.

For me this is a good gentle slice of entertainment, which, in the words of Rob Brydon, is "just a bit of fun".
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

ntpntpntp

Liked some of the scenery shots of the branch following the edge of the river - that would make a nice model.

I have exactly the same jigsaw puzzle that Julie was assembling on the train!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

daffy

Quote from: ntpntpntp on December 11, 2017, 05:38:45 PM
I have exactly the same jigsaw puzzle that Julie was assembling on the train!

Did you get the Producer to make yours too? :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: daffy on December 11, 2017, 05:41:43 PM
Did you get the Producer to make yours too? :D
I have completed it a couple of times over the years so I know it's in good condition.  Of course, when I want to take a quick snap to post here can I find the damn thing? - of course not  :veryangry:

I have seen another example on a 2nd hand trade stand at a show a few years ago, he wanted £50 for it!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

I'm just not sure what part of the viewing public this is aimed at. :-\
I think, on the whole, I prefer Mr. Portaloo's efforts as they are factual. I'm really not interested in conjecture about smugglers and ghosts :no:

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on December 11, 2017, 08:04:29 PM
I'm just not sure what part of the viewing public this is aimed at. :-\
I think, on the whole, I prefer Mr. Portaloo's efforts as they are factual. I'm really not interested in conjecture about smugglers and ghosts :no:
Well there's me and misses who are a willing part of the target audience.
As long as you don't treat it as 'train' program it's quite enjoyable IMHO.
:beers:

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations