!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)  (Read 190 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:26:00 pm »
OK

The first phase of the plan is done. So now I have the task of getting something up and running by December 21st!!

First some essentials:

A workbench with a kettle!

A fridge for milk and, who knows, maybe some adult beverages, as the Americans would say.

Then I need to get all this tidied up and on to shelves and out of the way

I plan on re-using my baseboard frames, but not necessarily the MDF boards themselves.

All the points and will be salvaged for re-use. The track will be put to use when the fiddle yards are built. All the new track will be Peco Code 55 Concrete.

All points are long radius Electrofrog with Tortoise Point motors.

DCC control with a Z21 and NCE Switch 8's for point control. Frog Juicers will be used for crossings and any reverse loops. (I know there aren't any reverse loops in the plan yet).

I'm looking at alternative baseboard surface material instead of MDF. There are some, fairly rigid, insulation sheets that look like they might work. They can be cut with a Stanley knife and don't break up like polystyrene. I have bought a small piece to work with. The main question is how much support is needed and do they take screws to mount point motors.

It's Thanksgiving today, so I have a long weekend to work on this,

Next tasks, apart from tidying up, are to get an inventory of existing points and motors and then order what I need from Hattons or local suppliers (for the Tortoises).

I also need a heater and I got one on order at Amazon that should be here tomorrow. The shop is well insulated and when I'm lugging things around It's warm enough, but to do detailed work with gloves on wouldn't be a good idea!

Hattons are my cheapest source for Peco track, even when shipping to the US.

I am very lucky in that my wife bought me an HP T120 large format printer as an early Christmas present, so I can print my plan out from Scarm 1:1 on sheets up to 6'x2'.
This cost $700 reduced from $1200! I looked at printing out my plan at Fedex Office and they charge $0.40 per square foot. My plan needs 400 sq ft on 4' x 2' paper. So to print it once would cost $160, I would also have to print it from PDF rather than from Scarm. So if I print this 4 times I've got my money back. In addition it's a colour printer so backscenes come to mind as well!

The downside is there aren't any trains on my list this year!

I don't need any more rolling stock, let's face it, we never NEED rolling stock, but it would be nice if the Elves at Santa's workshop can get everyone's Pendolino's delivered!

But if they can't they'll look just as good in the New Year. (Thanks Ben and Mike)

And I still need a proper name for the layout.

Regards,

John P

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
Re: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:35:10 pm »
That looks very impressive, John.

I know the location fairly well, having attended many meetings in Wigan in my time.  I look forward with interest to see your plans become reality.

Happy Thanksgiving.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 06:37:17 pm »
The Thanksgiving weekend ended up being very busy so not a lot was done.

I have managed to tidy up and start to clear space. I also experimented with some XPS to see if it would hold a point motor in place and it seems to be fine.

So after tidying I printed out some of my plan from Scarm 1:! and laid it out

It looked so big that I had to put some track on it to convince myself that it was still N Gauge.

Once the plans were in position, I started to remove my old baseboards from their frames and set the frames out to take the new baseboard tops.

I still have 2 or three more frames to salvage and after that it's off to town to purchase sheets of 8' x 4' XPS plus more timber.

Oh, and in case you have seen the plan in the layout planning section, here it is again.

Regards,

John P

Offline Branchie

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »
Wow!

Looks like a great start. What era will it be?

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:51:53 pm »
I hate to point out the obvious, but it does say contemporary in the title.   :D :D :D :D :D

So Pendolino's, CL350's, CL319's, 66's, etc,etc,etc.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:14:47 pm »
Significant progress has been made over the last 2 weeks.

First I got all my existing baseboards stripped down so that the frames could be re-used

I then built one more frame which completes the baseboard structure for the scenic section of te layout.

As there is so much room in the workshop, and as I have no intention of moving the layout, this last frame was built as 8' x 2' rather than two 4' x 2' sections.

Next XPS baseboard material was laid down temporarily and the plan was then laid on top of the boards.

XPS

Looking 'north'

Looking 'south'

Once I'd done this it was obvious that everything was missaligned compared to the master plan so I spent some time moving the baseboards around so that everything lined up properly.

Next task is to secure all the baseboards in place and then start the 'superstructure' which will support the elevated sections of the layout (which is all of the WCML through Wigan).

I now have 10 days until the Grandkids arrive, so I've decided to use up some of my accrued vacation time and take the rest of the year off ;D I already had 2 weeks booked, so that's just one more week.

Will trains be running by Christmas?

Watch this space!

Regards,

John P

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:20:37 pm »
Nothing like a deadline to motivate you! Great way to spend a few weeks holiday! Good luck!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything