!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Volunteering Interest  (Read 287 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New Volunteering Interest
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:41:52 pm »
Now that Iíve fully retired, Mrs PP and I decided to sogn up asvolunteers with the NCI (National Coastwatch Institution) - https://www.nci.org.uk/
Had our very first training session today at our local watch point (St Agnes Head).
So much to learn and take in but we thoroughly enjoyed it and weíre looking forward to our next session.
Something completely new to both of is but itís well worthwhile and very interesting.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: New Volunteering Interest
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:16:08 pm »
Good on you both. A most worthwhile endeavour :thumbsup:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:10 pm »
As someone who ran hydrographic vessels, frequently close to shore with shallow water and rocks to contend with, I will offer my sincere thanks to you, and all of those like you, who give freely of their time in tasks like this.   :thankyousign:
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline terrysoham

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:27:19 am »
Whilst on the topic of volunteering, could I recommend volunteering at your local school.  I have been going into my local primary school for 6 years, on average 1 1/2 days a week.   It is VERY rewarding.
Schools around the country are crying out for this sort of help due to (non political remark) financial belt tightening.
If you want to help, contact your local school.

Regards
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of Neely, modern N scale representation of Ely, available for exhibitions

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »

Well done with the coast watch, I believe there is one about 15 miles north of me.

I'm much too busy to volunteer at the moment, but have already planned what I will do.

I will help the sailing school  at our sailing club, https://www.horning-sailing.club/tcabout.php this is entirely run by volunteers. However I'll stick to doing rescue boat, I don't have the patience to deal directly with children. There are around 80 children being taught each year. ( And a few adults)

Then about half a mile away  there is the RAF RADAR museum, http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk which is also run by volunteers, and as an ex radar man  at that station that would be appropriate...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:26:38 pm by The Q »

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »
I'm afraid my volunteering days are over but I used to be a volunteer forestry fireman and as a Red Cross ambulance driver/first aider. I worked in the ambulance service in Wales many years ago.
Volunteer work of any sort is very rewarding and well done Martin for "joining up". :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Zuma

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:59:45 pm »
I volunteer with the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in New Mexico and Colorado. Steam trains run from late May through to October on a 64 mile long 3ft gauge remnant of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. The Friends have a well-equipped workshop where repairs and rebuilds are done to freight rolling stock. I've been working on building passenger bogies for an 1889 tourist sleeper to the original Pullman designs. Check out:
http://www.coloradonewmexicosteamtrain.org/camera-portal-horizontal.htm
for a look at the Chama yard.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:06:09 pm »
hi Yes voluntering does have many rewards , I have volunteered on the Ffestiniog railway for too many years ! and enjoyed and learnt much.  "Volunteering" covers a broad church but many decry it, when challenged they say they only work for money - so I say do you take your parents out or do their garden, look after grand kids - well its all volunteeering... it often makes for a lightbulb moment.

Working in youth areas brings good results but some enabling paperwork and I am glad that so many help to pass on information and skills .  Often a good place to start is your local model railway club, simple memebership, helping and working at shows  all is volunteering.

good for all on here who volunteer - my life is ceertainly better for it !!
Robert         

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here