!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2017, 10:35:46 am »
 >:(  Grrr   >:(

The problem I thought may happen with the windmill has happened....

The motor below the board is going to clash with underboard stuff, like track, but if I raise the mill too high, the sails will be above the backscene height, and the case lid won't close  :confused2:

So I tried raising the height of the mill, by building a little hill from foamboard. Seems OK, as after all, the layout is Windmill Hill

This raised the motor high enough to give clearance for the train.

Then Sculptamold was used to smooth off the hill, and fine sandpaper glued on for the road.

I've never used sculptamold before, and I was surprised how clean it is to use. Also, a great throw away mixing bowl can be made from the bottom of a milk carton.

Next step is the rocky area on the other corner. I made a bridge for the access road from spare bits of a viaduct kit, and bits of plastic strip, strut and card.

I will sort out, and put some pics up later showing how that corner turned out.

With kind regards
Kevin

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:38:39 pm by Phoenix »

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:40 pm »
Hi All,

Today has been fairly busy, although not that much seems to have been achieved .... I do have quite a few days like that though !

Mainly been tidying up, taking photos, and the result of that is now the posted pics have caught up with real life, so now it's all happening in real time  :)

You've seen the windmill being fixed, and bridge built, so next is how the rock formation went.

I did have some cork bark, but on reflection did not like it that much, so I bought some of these foam formed rocks

With a bit of chopping up, and filling with Das, the basic formation worked out, although it very nearly ended as a tunnel.

The road was made of fine sandpaper, and runs down to a car park, (quite tiny, but as it is screened from view, no one can see how small it is) behind the pub.

The front patio / rear car park of the pub is cut from a lino floor tile.

With all that done, I could now cut the hole for the pond, and make a sloped beach up to the boathouse.

The bits of string are to pull through the wires for the lighting in the boathouse and pub.

The last two features to mould were the embankments.

A bit steep, but space dictates a lot of decisions here  :worried:

With kind regards
Kevin.

PS Just going to put the kettle on then have some pics took today with buildings and a few scenic bits

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:10 pm »
Hello .... Back again.

These are the pics I took today, which brings us bang up to date  :)

Tomorrow I am aiming to paint a base coat of "Earth Colours" over the whole area, and ballast the upper track, but before that, I would like to ask a for bit of advice please.

I am a bit unsure about the "Firestone" bridge, and whether it should have just one plate side, or one each side of the track. To my mind it looks wrong with just the one, and my research seems to suggest they were made in a U form, with girders each side of the track. But then the more research you do, you start coming up with conflicting views, which has been making my brain hurt.

:helpneededsign:

Anyway, I made a second girder, and photographed with / without pics, so what do you reckon. I tend to favour one each side of the track.

Anyway, would appreciate your advice, and any other input before I crack on tomorrow.

With kind regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:29:28 am by Phoenix »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:30 pm »
I know what you mean about the plate girders and my first reaction is there has to be one each side of the track, but on such a small layout two seems to make things too cluttered :-\

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2017, 09:43:04 pm »
Cheers Nobby (Is it Mick ? .... I'm just starting to match names up)  :)

I really am undecided about this, but will see how things progress. As you say though, I don't want to clutter things up, and will go with what looks best.

:thankyousign:

Kind regards
Kevin

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:13 pm »
Hi Kevin
My vote - girder on each side.
And....itís looking  brilliant.
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2017, 09:48:33 pm »
I have to say that a girder on each side looks more natural and the 'norm'.  And a good looking layout to boot.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2017, 10:02:29 pm »
Thanks Guys,

I really do appreciate your input, and kind words re my little layout. For the first time today, it is actually looking like something. I hope to get some paint and ballast down on the "Top Shelf", and I should get the backscene stuff over the weekend, so  :beers:

Oh, and it all works, although the windmill is a bit noisy. not sure why though as it was quiet before installation. Maybe its reverberating round the hollow hill and baseboard.  :hmmm:

Like Mick said I don't want to clutter the place up, but it just doesn't look right without the other plate, so I think that is the way to go.

Many thanks
Kevin

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:43 am »
I agree.  Two girders looks better.  It reminds me of the old Alvis bridge in Coventry.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2017, 07:04:41 am »
Hi Kevin,

Does it make this sound as it seems quite prototypical  :D....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyz_jv_xiB8

Seriously, all looking great. Think you've made up your mind but my vote is for 2 girders too.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2017, 09:12:29 am »
Great stuff  :thumbsup: and it looks like you're enjoying the build.

Also your use of bits and pieces such as the lino tile and the 'mixing bowl' are handy tips.

I had a motorised windmill on my very first N gauge layout years ago, all now sadly gone. Where did your come from, please?

Dave G

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2017, 12:28:38 pm »
 :hellosign:

Thanks for all your help, and yes, two girders it is :thumbsup:

Love the Windy Miller clip Weave.... brings back lots of memories. I met Brian Cant a few times when a mate of mine was company manager for a play he was in. What a lovely and funny man he was.

Hi Dave, the windmill I got was this one ....
 https://www.faller.de/App/WebObjects/XSeMIPS.woa/cms/page/pid.14.17.89/agid.1128.1196.1255/atid.1468/ecm.at/Windmill.html

The recommended motor, which fits inside the mill, you can buy from them. Unfortunately it is 16v AC. which would not suit me as my set up is battery powered.

The Faller kits are really nice, but on a UK layout you have to choose carefully what looks, or can be adapted to look British.

I got mine from http://www.osbornsmodels.com/n-scale-superstore-n-2-c.asp

With all kind regards,
Kevin

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2017, 06:43:11 pm »
A bit late but yes two girders. And what a super little layout. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »
Thanks Mito,

As you see I have carried the fence along behind the signal box, and the second girder is now well and truly glued down. ;)

10% of today has been painting, with the other 90% waiting for paint to dry. I have got the base colours down all over, and been concentrating on painting the rocks, after watching a tutorial from Mel, the Terrain Tutor, a war-gamer who has some great scenery tutorials.

I've been painting, waiting for it to dry, stippling layers, waiting for them to dry,  applying washes, waiting for them to dry, and on and on ...... looking good though  :thumbsup:

The ballasting I hope to do tonight.

Also I have ordered a static grass applicator, and all sorts of grass, so when that arrives next week, I'll have a new toy to play with. :D

All best wishes,
Kevin.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »
Hi All,

Yesterday out came the paints and brushes, and I was amazed at how a base coat of paint can tie everything together. I can't wait to get going with the static grass  :)

The grass I have on order is 2mm and 4mm, and an "Embankment kit". so I guess that should be OK for N gauge. I am lucky that with such a small layout, sample packs should do my whole area !!

Unfortunately I did not get round to ballasting, as I had a few clearance issues around the bridge area in the back right corner that needed sorting out.

Anyway, here are the pics, see what you think .....

With kind regards,
Kevin.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything