!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 08:30:05 pm »
Hi John,

I'm glad you are enjoying following what I am up to. As posting pics goes, I am running out of stored pics of what has been built. All I have done that you have not seen yet is sculptamould modelling of scenic features on the top level as I do not want it to look like just a shelf over the bottom level, I want it to look more integrated.

Then everything posted will be as done in real time.

I am getting a replacement Dapol 57XX from Rails of Sheffield as soon as they get one in stock. I have had excellent customer service from them, and a couple of weeks ago they had a Graham Farish 64XX really well priced, so instead of going to the Pub on the Saturday night, I stayed in, and the money I saved bought me the loco, and it is running beautifully.  :thumbsup:

As far as track cleaning, the front and back are no problem, I can easily reach them. It is just a short section at each end that is covered, and I am using a sponge on a stick for that.

I have spotted one of these though.

http://www.mill-lane-sidings.co.uk/mlstrackmop.html

Has anyone tried it ????????

With kind regards
Kevin.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:39 pm »
Some excellent work, and not a little ingenuity Kevin. As regards your comment about neat working, but having an 'un-neat' work room, that  struck a chord with me, (and, I suspect, a few others  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:45 am »
 :thankyousign: for a very ingenious layout and great descriptions of how everything has been achieved!

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:22 am »
Hi Kevin,

Very nice work, and an interesting project - I really like small layouts!

I am interested in the MedVend controllers; a) How did you acquire them (I have only found them on an American Z Gauge website) and b) what are they like in use?

Cheers Jon  :)
We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 12:47:37 pm »
Great work Kevin, really enjoyed following your thread - the detailing on the signal box and station is ace.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 03:18:08 pm »
Hi all,

Thank you so much for all your interest and kind words about what I am trying to cram into my little box, and thanks to all who have contributed to the huge mine of information here that has made it possible

:NGaugersRule:

I hope later this evening to put up some pics of the lower level with buildings and scenery. Just placed in position nothing will be fixed 'till I run it past you guys.

PS. Jon, I have sent you a message re. Medvend controllers.

With kind regards
Kevin.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 07:39:42 pm »
Great thread. Love the mirror under the bridge.

Great work!

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:20 pm »
Hi all,

Lets see how it all fits together ........

Well it seems O.K. although a lot of concessions have had to be made to get it all in. There is a  HUGE gap between coach and platform but is not noticed when the train is in as it is on the blind side when viewing. I am running a corridor coach though, so all the little people will have to rush along to the centre doors to get out.

The access road to the station is a bit dodgy, and the embankments are practically vertical, but viewed as a whole it seems to work.

Nothing however, apart from track and ballast, roads, and tunnels is fixed down, as I wanted to run a few things past you guys first. Your comments and criticism would be
very welcome. Specifically ......

1. I want to use static grass, not that nasty scatter I have sprinkled down. I guess 2mm and 4mm would be the right length.....maybe longer for the embankment ??

2. The stairs from the signal box run right down almost to the track. Would a short length of railing along the track at that point be a good idea ???

3. I think a crossing is needed over the track. Any input for the best position.

4. I will use chain link fence between yard and pavement from the road tunnel to crossing gates. Not sure of positions for lamp posts though.

5.Really uncertain whether to have side "Wing" retaining walls on the "Tunnel to Nowhere" I could use them, or continue the wooden sleeper fence behind the signal box to the brick support on the yard side, and just run the embankment greenery to the support on the station side. This is the option I am favouring.

6. Just a little point. Is the station sign on the lamp post OK. I have 2, so not sure whether to use one or both. I can't seem to think of anywhere else I can put them without removing the benches.

7. are any trackside signs, signals needed anywhere ????

Anyway I hope you enjoy the pics, and look forward to your input.

With all best wishes
Kevin.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 08:29:04 pm »
 :greatpicturessign:
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:57 pm »
Lovely photographs and really great detailing.
I love the little cameo scenes on the platform.
Personally, I think that station name board would look better attached to the railing. As for signals, as you have the box (presumably controlling the level crossing) you ought to have a couple of signals. Im sure others can best advise on location.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply, and kind words.

You're right....the only other place I could think of for the name boards was on the railings, but thought that maybe a bit too far back, but they, or one anyway may well end up there.

As for signals, I really should have them, as even though it is cut down, that is a big box just for the level crossing but I do need someone to advise me on that  :hmmm:

With kind regards
Kevin.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »
Hi Port Perran,

:thankyousign:

I tried your idea out, and yes, I think it works. Even with the bicycle up against the railings it is not obscured. The thing that was worrying me was it may be too far back, but I think that is OK.

(Just a quick photo, excuse it being a bit out of focus)

Has anyone else any input re the other bits and pieces I was not sure about ?

Kind regards to all
Kevin

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2017, 08:35:11 pm »
A lovely little layout.
My twopenneth input. Leave the tunnel wing off and run the fencing to the tunnel mouth. No fence in front of the signal box. The signalman needs access to the track. No crossing, use the level crossing. A fascia board to cover the frame and a "mini" backscene behind the signal box and station. I think that's about it. :D. I hope it's helpful.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2017, 08:56:45 pm »
Hi Mito,

Flippin' Heck ..... That was quick  :)

Many thanks, The Tunnel wings were my main concern as the embankments are my next step to do tomorrow. I'm glad you said what you did, as that's what my thoughts were, but its nice to have someone with a bit more experience to confirm it.

Out with the Sculptamold tomorrow !!!

Also I have just ordered a sky backdrop to cover the whole of the black background, and a countryside gaugemaster backdrop to add fields etc to it. I hope that will work.

Oh, yes there will be a front facia, which will have the switches for the lights and windmill sails :thumbsup:

Once again thanks,

Hope the weather is better where you are.... grotty here

Kind regards
Kevin

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2017, 09:07:52 pm »
Don't bank on the "more experience"! I'm the Large Chicken :)-up king.
Sunny weather here but cool. Temperatures below 20C. Even had the fire on for the last couple of evenings.
These chickens get everywhere, at least cockerels do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:11:45 pm by Mito, Reason: Over attentiveness of the forum word checker. »
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here