!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:23 pm »
Hi Alexander,

I'm scared to look ......... but I have called for Scooby  Doo, so I should be O.K.  :uneasy:

Happy Halloween !

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:53 pm »
The Board, Track, Road and Tunnels.

This is the board I made, from 6mm ply topped with cork, and an oval of flextrack laid.

With he track ballasted, the tunnel portals were then fixed in place. This one is a Woodland Scenic plaster one.

The other was a Peco one. For some reason I used a double one, which was too big, so I replaced it with this one.

The road to access the station and yard was made, and this is a gallery showing how it was made.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=3202;u=5755

I made the bridge over the road from plasticard

Then painted and assembled it

The road ran straight into the battery used to power the layout, so an idea I picked up from here was to use a mirror, which I mounted like this.

With a bit of careful placing of scenery, the plan worked.

However, as you can see with this view, care must be taken with placing things too close to the mirror.

Then with road markings added this was the finished result.

Then with the 3 portals in place, I was able to size up the board for the upper level, where I am aiming to fit the windmill, pub, and water (pond?)

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 10:34:31 pm »
Totally pinching the mirror idea for Ivebridge which has similar edge of layout issues. Great idea!

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:00 pm »
You're very welcome. The idea came from the forum somewhere, so many thanks to whoever first suggested it.  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:18 am »
So that is actually half a phone booth? Clever!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 09:32:00 am »
Hello Kevin

Just to say how much I am enjoying reading your posts.  It is amazing what you are achieving in a space of 21" x 13.5".

I am absorbing ideas to use on my Table-Top Railway Mk II, which at 30" x 24" is positively spacious in comparison.

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 11:03:43 am »
I'm fascinated by what you're achieving in such a small space :thumbsup:

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 11:51:59 am »
Morning all !

Yes Bealman, the phone box was split in half, and I have since put a little person inside. The guy waiting outside had to be positioned carefully otherwise he would have had a twin on the other side !

Thanks John and Nobby for your kind remarks. For the next stage I will find the photos and show how I made the backscene support, and wired the electrics up for self contained running from a battery.

Have a lovely Sunday lunch
 :beers:

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »
l :hellosign:

With the top board now cut to shape, it was time to fit the backscene board. I wanted to sort this out before fixing anything down permanently, as this would contain the layout and with such a small space I needed to know exactly how much area I had to play with.

One of my pet hates is "clouds with corners" so I rounded the back corners of the baseboards

I decided to make the board of 2mm thick ABS sheet. the theory was that if I heat it, it should bend round the corners. I cleared my workbench, and cut the sheet to the right height, and just a little longer than needed. Then out came a fan heater to apply the heat needed.

The first corner worked OK. I screwed the sheet along the short side of the baseboard, gently applied heat, bent it round the corner little by little, and screwed it in place along the back edge.

The same was then done for the other corner. The tape was used to keep the top of the bend in shape while the ABS sheet was cooling

This then gave me a 3 sided box to contain the layout, and show me exactly how much space I had to play with ...... not much !

Then to open things out a bit I shaped the two side edges.

Next an access hole was cut in the back. I think I may also have to fit some kind of barrier there as well.

And one last thing.... better check it fits the case !

Well that's that. I hope you found it interesting. Time now to put the kettle on, then I will post the top level track, and how I wired it up for battery and/or mains power.

back soon

With kind regards
Kevin. :)

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 01:28:47 pm »
Hi,

Very interesting and lovely, neat work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 02:03:41 pm »
Fascinating!

Yes: I agree that a barrier to cover the access hole would be a good idea.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 03:35:16 pm »
Hi All,

Suitably refreshed and ready to go, and thank you Weave and John for your comments. I especially liked the neat work comment. I try to keep my work neat, but you should see the state of  my room....neat is the very last word I'd use to describe it. I spend more time looking for stuff than modelling with it  :confused1:

Anyway, after lots of very careful adjusting I laid an oval of track on the "top shelf". You may have spotted a gaugemaster controller which I have been using to test the track for good running.

Incidentally, talking of running. I have a Dapol 57XX for the lower level, and have had bad problems with it. I had to return the first to DCC supplies, who were very helpful, but have just had to send the second back. I have heard these locos can be a bit tempremental, but are there any special requirements peculiar to it ??? When the 2nd replacement arrives I really want it to run well as it is a lovely looking loco, and I am a bit limited to what will run round that little oval of track.

But back on topic ........

This is the top shelf track laid.

I wanted to have the layout totally self contained (so I can take it to the Pub  :beers:), running off a rechargeable battery hidden between the two levels, but with the option of plugging in the charger/transformer so It can run from mains power if that is available. This is the battery and charger I am using, which was used years ago for something completely different, but still works fine, although the battery is a bit heavy.

I mounted the battery on a plywood base, screwed from underneath through a hole in the  bottom baseboard so I can remove it if need be. Wires were then taken to a socket on the short side of the layout for the charger to plug in, and also to an on/off rocker switch.

I had hoped to mount these controllers from Medvend somewhere on the layout, but no there is really no space at all for them  :( However I am sure I will use them for something else.

So another plan was needed. I saw a thread on here about wireless controllers, so I did a bit of research, and these were what I ended up with.

The receiver was a bit too fat to fit under the board as is, so I cut a recess and held the receiver in place with Velcro.

Then everything was wired up. The instructions were really clear, and the system works like a dream and Ian at www.bluerailways.co.uk was really helpful over the phone in answering any questions.

So there we have it. I have 2 tracks for 2 trains to run....just need to fit everything else in  :hmmm:

P.S. This is the little panel on the side, removable in case I need to get at anything.

(Edited with a P.S.)

With kind regards
Kevin.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:49:50 pm by Phoenix »

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 04:01:17 pm »
Absolutely fascinating thread, and excellent and ingenious work throughout, Kevin. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the finished layout .

Gives a whole new meaning to travel luggage that has the label 'Wanted on board' on the lid. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:40 pm »
Amazing stuff, Kevin

The 'Yuasa' battery looks similar to those that I have seen on motorcycles.  They were good.

I'm following your comments on the Dapol locomotive with interest as my steam fleet is Union Mills and Peco.

The portability is exactly what I am attempting to achieve on the Table-Top Railway MkII, but you have far exceeded what I have managed.

By the way; how do you clean the track in the tunnels?

Best wishes.

John

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 08:06:06 pm »
Thanks Daffy,

I do appreciate your comments, It won't be long before some building and scenic work gets going, so will look more like a layout.

At the moment though, nothing is fixed apart from the track, road and tunnels.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything