Modelmaster/NGS decals

Started by trkilliman, October 13, 2017, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

The replies so far are from people not too impressed with Modelmaster.

Has putting all of our NGS decal stock with Modelmaster resulted in an inferior service to members?
Has the price of the shop decals been increased by Modelmaster?

I have registered with them, giving my NGS membership number. Does this automatically deduct 25% from any order/s I place?

Their website is a bit vague. I am after some bus fleetname decals, namely Crosville, United Welsh and Royal Blue. When these were listed in our shop list it would say e.g 3 pairs of southdown, 3 pairs of royal Blue on one sheet.
Looking at their website it says Crosville, £4.32. Is this now for a pair, 3 pairs, 6 pairs?

It may have been convenient to hand our decal stock over to Modelmaster, but are members getting the same service/deal?

As I have said several times I consider the decals, kits and special commisions to be the Jewel in the Crown of membership. Has one of these Jewels lost it's shine a little?

RichardBenn

Quote from: trkilliman on October 23, 2017, 11:39:12 AM
I have registered with them, giving my NGS membership number. Does this automatically deduct 25% from any order/s I place?

When I spoke to him I asked about this as I too had previously registered as per the instructions and not had any acknowledgment. He confirmed that the discount had not been applied to my order but he would refund the difference when the order was processed. I got the impression that he had not yet got around to processing the NGS registrations.

Dr Al

Quote from: silly moo on October 23, 2017, 05:26:24 AM
I keep on getting Modelmaster promotional emails which are really irritating because they still haven't replied to my queries about my order.

I'd agree - why are they trying to drum up yet more business when they don't seem to be servicing the orders they do have (or at least communicating to purchasers what's going on).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

trkilliman

Am I alone in feeling disenchanted reading these tales of Modelmaster?

The membership have been quite patient over a long period during the aftermath of what transpired with the shop. Have things decal wise gone from bad to slightly worse maybe?

It has to be said in fairness though, that when the shop stock was in Jaywick you could order and invariably have your order delivered within days. This of course does not diminish what eventually came to light.

Whilst the decision was taken to dramatically reduce shop stock, has handing "our" shop decals back to Modelmaster been the success/seamless transition that had been anticipated?

I'm now thinking that some comment/s from the committee on this hand over would be welcome.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: trkilliman on October 23, 2017, 11:39:12 AM

Their website is a bit vague. I am after some bus fleetname decals, namely Crosville, United Welsh and Royal Blue. When these were listed in our shop list it would say e.g 3 pairs of southdown, 3 pairs of royal Blue on one sheet.
Looking at their website it says Crosville, £4.32. Is this now for a pair, 3 pairs, 6 pairs?

You could easily miss the announcement on the homepage which says all decals are sold in pairs.

https://modelmaster.uk/
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

trkilliman

Yes Woodbury22uk, I noticed this. States when something occurs on both sides of a loco or vehicles they are sold in pairs. This had me wondering if bus fleetnames are now sold as a singular pair...at £4.32 -25%, if it seems, you are fortunate enough to get the brokered/agreed discount.

As I said their website is a bit vague, so you cannot be sure what you are going to receive. Would I want to pay this for a pair of fleetnames?  Personally no. I might consider having some custom made from a chap who has done some work for me recently.

As I said from our shop we could buy 2x 3 pairs. We were told the shop was carrying huge stocks of decals, which have been passed back to their manufacturer Modelmaster. to oversee their sale to members.

I'm interested to know the actual outcome of this move for us paid up NGS members. 

PLD

I've dealt directly with Modelmaster for years. Never had any problem with communication or speed of delivery. Deliveries have got a bit slower (by maybe a day or two) than previous since they took on distribution to NGS members (presumably as a result of the additional volume of orders to be dealt with) but still usually with me in under a week.

If NGS members' orders are taking longer, perhaps it is due to the additional admin involved in cross referencing vs membership lists to confirm you qualify for the members' discount? In which case, that's the trade-off you have chosen - lower price vs slower service...

red_death

Quote from: trkilliman on October 23, 2017, 02:32:04 PM
Am I alone in feeling disenchanted reading these tales of Modelmaster?

The membership have been quite patient over a long period during the aftermath of what transpired with the shop. Have things decal wise gone from bad to slightly worse maybe?

It has to be said in fairness though, that when the shop stock was in Jaywick you could order and invariably have your order delivered within days. This of course does not diminish what eventually came to light.

Whilst the decision was taken to dramatically reduce shop stock, has handing "our" shop decals back to Modelmaster been the success/seamless transition that had been anticipated?

I'm now thinking that some comment/s from the committee on this hand over would be welcome.

It was the only viable solution for two reasons - the NGS was holding too much stock which it couldn't sell and secondly an issue of manpower being used most effectively.

If your NGS discount is not being applied then please contact Modelmaster.  I'm afraid that we don't have any control over Modelmaster's manpower!

The alternative would have either been no NGS discount or potentially the loss of Modelmaster N gauge items.

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Committee member)

OK,

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

Never had a problem with getting decals at the society discount rate.

Latest lot dropped through the letterbox 8 days after order was sent.

Please be aware that Jim (and his Mrs) have health issues that may affect delivery times.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Jerry Howlett

From here in Italy I haven't been able to access their web-site for the last week.

Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Jerry Howlett

Just get this all the time....  Suggestions on a E50 note would be appreciated.

This site can't be reached

modelmaster.uk took too long to respond.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Jerry Howlett

Got it !!!  Had to go through with a VPN connection!!  At least I can watch BBC now!

Jerry

emjaybee

Ah yes, the Blairite Broadcasting Corporation.

Glad your back connected.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RichardBenn

Quote from: RichardBenn on October 16, 2017, 10:30:52 AM
I have two Modelmaster orders outstanding since June. I spoke to him a couple of months back and he said that the hold up was because (a) he hadn't realised that the NGS had renumbered everything and (b) the packs were all mixed up and required a lot of sorting.

I have just received one of my two orders so things must be moving, albeit rather slowly.......

Richard

Dr Al

I have received 2 out of 3 of my orders now, and I have to say I never actually contacted Modelmaster to nudge them along. So I think it's fair to say that they are on the task, even if it is taking a bit of time.

The first Farish Castle can be renumbered now :)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations