!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: stripping paint from coaches  (Read 683 times)

Offline Foster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: stripping paint from coaches
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 03:13:14 am »
 Try using brake fluid (the cheapest brand). It does not touch plastic, and soaking the coach for an hour or so, softens the paint, which can be removed with an old tooth brush.

Once the paint has been removed, wash the body in warm water with a good washing up liquid. :wave:

Offline Vanders

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 01:51:11 pm »
When I did it (stripped back some Farish printed coach bodies) I found that caustic soda removed the lining & numbers, but not the paint. Acetone nail polish remover however, removed the paint very nicely.

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:18 pm »
I have found Acetone nail varnish remover to be pretty good on most things.
Superdrug's own brand is what I bought. It certainly removed paint from some badly painted whitemetal vehicles I bought, and even dislodged the glue which for me was an added bonus.

When our daughters visit they take great pleasure in asking if they can have some of Dad's nail varnish remover...little minxies lol

I think it can be a gamble or with some trepidation that we use a substance to strip paint, certainly with plastic. I bought some stuff from a trade stand that attends many M.R. shows. Safe as can be said the seller. It was, in fact so safe that a can of cola would probably have been stronger. A clear gel it was a waste of money.

Different types of plastic will react badly to some strippers, as I found out when trying to strip a Ratio building. I had bought it for coppers at a swap-meet, but was miffed to see it melt away.

The moral is to test a small area that won't show first, and assess the impact/strength of the stripper you are thinking of using.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything