!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DG Couplings Test Track  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: DG Couplings Test Track
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
B & Bs are supplied direct, I'm not sure the of supplier's name but his address is 24 Layston Park, Royston, Herts, SG8 9DS. When we last bought some they were £4 a fret (10 couplings) plus postage. Unfortunately there is no phone number so you just have to write with a cheque but they come back promptly!

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:19 pm »
This thread from 4 years ago could be useful - It also includes a link for my B&B assembly guide and the dimensions we use for B&B height setting gauge.

Yes there is some "improvisation" required in fitting to some stock (particularly locos) but after you have done a few you work out which dodge is likely to work best with which types...

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 12:40:57 am »
Here is a link for the B&B couplings which might be usefull.
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36632.0
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Ocean_Colliery

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and advice, I've decided to have a go with the Peco system for the minute though as it's quicker and much easier, and I'll be using only Peco wagons so they will all have unsprung couplings. To be fair, if this works then I'll be happy with that. I can live with the appearance of the rapidos for the time being.

Josh

Offline littlegs

• N Gauge Society Number: 24229
  • 2mm Association Number: 4053
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:39 pm »
I am slowly converting my wagon stock to DGs as I find them really good. As reported in this topic Loop 1 end Latch the other. The new setting jig makes it easy to get the heights right. I make my loops as 1 piece from soft iron wire  about 0.35mm they are roughly the shape of a squared off question mark and because the wire is soft you can get some nice square corners. I saw a diagram somewhere showing the shape but cannot remember where :dunce:.
Has anyone come up with an idea for a NEM fitting DG? As I need some for the shunting locos.
 I did experiment by cutting the knuckle hook from a Dapol coupler and gluing a narrowed down DG to the shank but couldn't get it to stay horizontal as it was a sloppy fit in the NEM socket. I have read somewhere that someone fabricated one by soldering some wire across the narrowed mounting plate to make it look something like a proper NEM coupler

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 10:48:29 pm »
    @littlegs                                                  "Has anyone come up with an idea for a NEM fitting DG? "
See post 26 above by danmk1, he has made some to fit into Nem's,I am going to try the same idea when I have the courage. I have been to a local model shop today but have struggled to find the same size of wire and tube he has listed.
Lil Chris

Offline littlegs

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 06:41:57 am »
Thanks Chris
I should have gone back a page in the thread and I would have seen the answer I was looking for
Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 11:32:28 pm »
well I have made my first D & G coupling tonight, hopefully they will get easier has I build more of them. I have made the loop one piece out of florist wire, I need to make a few more  then make some sort of height jig, probably out of styrene.

Lil Chris

Offline littlegs

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 05:03:24 pm »
Chris
The 2mm FS Association supply a purpose built height setting jig that can be used with N gauge stock as they both use the same diameter wheels etc so the buffer heights will be the same.
You have to be a member to purchase
You can get the wire and tube from Eileens Emporium that danmk1 used to make his NEM couplers
Chris
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:09:16 pm by littlegs, Reason: additional information »

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 06:41:36 pm »
Thanks littlegs, I know about that but it would probably be a waste of time for me to join just for the hs jig, and a bit near Christmas now. I plan on making one myself out of styrene, I have scoured the web for information on these couplings. I have them all saved on my computer they are off different forums,so I do not think I could post them on here. There are a few good guides out there,some are off 2mm association memberís too which are very good. It is good too know the fs wheels are the same size, I can now use the same dimensions for my jig.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 11:36:28 pm »
I have made a jig tonight for the D & G couplings, might cut a bit more away for easier access to under the stock.
Lil Chris

Offline Ocean_Colliery

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:48 am »
Adding a shim to the Farish pockets and removing the springs, perhaps?

The spring is needed to keep the coupling horizontal - the risk of removing it is you end up with floppy couplers that won't then work well, and likely catch on pointwork.

You can lessen the effect of the spring by cutting it down in length, though again care is needed as this reduces its stiffness, and therefore propelling vehicles (particularly long rakes with some weight) may result in problems. It's easy to try though and you can always bung a fresh spring in if it's not working out. In terms of other couplers, the lift arms also would encounter problems with some of the NEM rapidos, as the sockets and coupler heads can be pretty variable between the manufacturers, some being very stiff, Dapol's have a non-standard bump on top that makes them stiffer to lift (can be taken off with a scalpel), so it's likely you'd also need to go over all these and fettle them to make sure all freely lift.

I agree personally on not destructively modifying stock - particularly if you are the kind of person who occasionally (or frequently) changes, sells or swaps stock - there's no doubt that it's a lot harder to sell without rapidos.

It may have been suggested already, but have you looked at Dapol's easy shunts? I haven't used these in anger so am no fan-boy, but they do seem a credible option to easily fit to NEM mounted locos and coach rake ends for coupling up easily. Most stock can remain otherwise unaltered with original rapidos - at least for rakes that won't be split or uncoupled.

Cheers,
Alan

I've found with the older coupling mounts on locomotives that removing the spring and putting a Peco Elsie Rapido in there, packed up with blu-tac allows me to use the Peco system. Bit of a bodge but it seems to work when I'm only shunting 1 or 2 wagons around, and it's reversible. The Peco lift arm is only fitted to the wagon, the loco coupler remains stationary. If I was looking to uncouple a rake of coaches, e.g. loco release at terminus then I would probably look at using the Dapol system.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:29:08 am by Ocean_Colliery »

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 10:05:20 pm »
I found last night a pic of the 2mm assoc D&G jig, its given me a idea how to improve my jig. I am getting there now waiting for a small chuck to put the delay latch in to make it easier to fit to the coupling, that's the hardest part I have found.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here