!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My fictitious Railway  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: My fictitious Railway
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 02:52:23 am »
They all look great! Excellent work.   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 07:45:55 am »
Looks great to me too.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 04:24:29 pm »
I'll come back to the brake van.
But until then something arrived through the post the other day....

A GWR provender wagon, this is an arch laser kit made for Osbourns and I wanted to try the perhaps the most simple one that they had.
After it's finished, it will look good on my fictitious railway although it may look a little lost.

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »
An hour later and a bit of PVA  glue.
The floor is too small to fit inside so I plan to use some of the scrap material to fill the gap.

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 11:43:51 pm »

The kit comes with a Peco 9' steel sole bar chassis and I found that the body is about 4mm too long. I did think about mounting the body on a minitrix wagon chassis as it is the same size but I decided to fill the gaps with a few pieces of plasticard.

For a few hours work I've quite enjoyed it do far and this is how I will leave it for now.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 01:45:37 am »
The kit comes with a Peco 9' steel sole bar chassis and I found that the body is about 4mm too long.
Very nice it looks too.

But this is a bit odd, the Osborn site says it comes with the Peco NR-123 Chassis kit (assuming I see the right one = Great Western Replicas Kit 008 ?? )
and the Peco site says "NR-123 10ft Wheelbase wooden type solebars Chassis Kit"
might that explain the size mis-match ? (caveat: it is late here and I might have got muddled!)

The reason I looked was that some Peco chassis are easier to assemble**  than others, But it does look nice and I wonder if the green fields of the far north-west (LMS) might ever have supplied hay to the GWR, or need I apply rule 1 to my ficticious railway  :)

** Edit update : The 9' kits are several pieces on sprue, "requiring more assembly work to complete"  !! and a lot more dexterity!! ,  the 10' (and15) are "One piece moulding"

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:54:01 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 04:05:59 am »
Yes, the pictures you see on the Osbourns site is definitely one with a Peco 10' wooden sole bar chassis. This makes me scratch my head even more because the picture you see it in it lines up with it perfectly, yet I found the model to be far too long to even fit on one of those.
One point I would mention is, when I assembled the body I glued the end of the body directly to the edge of the sides. Thinking about it now, especially for those who model on a zealous scale, I would trim the edges down to a 45 angle on the ends and sides (where you plan to glue). This would allow the body to be shorter by about 2mm and I would imagine that a Peco 10' chassis would fit.
I hope that makes sense?

Rob.

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 03:22:26 pm »
And the finished model. I didn't paint the inside, I only applied a little varnish and I think it looks OK.

Transfers were from Fox Transfers. And I used metal parkside wheels.
All in all, the kit was OK to build you need to do some modifying depending on what chassis you get. I also forgot to glue the Peco weight in but that's OK, I'll stick some sort of weight on underneath.

It'll look nice as a slightly lost wagon on the South Midland Railway.
Speaking of which,  I just started on the first loco. I'm going to modify a Farish GP tank to start with, plenty of spare bodies around if it goes horribly wrong. Besides what better loco for a fictitious railway company than a fictitious engine?

Be back soon.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:30:50 pm by Jollybob »

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
So, something a little more interesting then.

I've stripped all the paint off the body, remove the chimney and buffers and given it some new, better looking ones. I've also added some coupling hooks on the buffer beams and given it a better looking safety valve.

More to come.

Rob.

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 05:34:35 am »
This will be my first attempt at putting lines on a loco. I have read several ways of applying transfers on the forum and have taken the techniques into account.
So, the body was primed with Halfords primer and a very lightly sprayed the body in a pleasing dark red. All the black parts were then painted in matt black and then satin black was painted on the running plate and cad roof.

The body before varnish
A couple of layers of gloss varnish has now been lightly applied which made the red a slightly deeper colour and I really like it and I will show that as soon as I have finished with the lining.

Better get on with it.  :)

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 08:48:52 pm »
It's been almost two months since I started this loco, I've been doing it slowly because I have been planning it properly.
The paint colour I'm happy with and now I have applied the transfers. I'm just waiting for my local model shop to get some matt varnish and then all I have to do is tweak a few things.

What loco should I repaint next?

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:03 pm »
Very nice indeed :thumbsup: For a second one, I'd repeat what you've just done. A pair of them would look rather good.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 10:50:24 pm »
Another GP tank engine would be good but I won't just yet. For now I have bought a rather unloved Farish Jinty that will be entering the loco works next. I've already taken it apart and got it working again. But I will come onto that a little later.
For now though, some exciting objects arrived for me.

Hopefully these should keep me occupied up until the new year. :)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:27:31 am by Jollybob »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here