!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN Trains: Class 800 and 801 IEPs  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for RevolutioN Trains: Class 800 and 801 IEPs
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 07:34:02 pm »

Hello all,

Hiroshi Kato, the current president and son of the company's founder Yuji Kato, was at Warley and we had a chat.

He wanted to buy a Pendolino but I didn't have one to sell him!  And he missed the boat on pre-ordering!

More seriously, with the Class 800 series units being built by Htachi there is a clear interest from Kato in this model, and I suspect that the majority of their market would be in Japan where there area round 6 million N gauge modellers and there will be many of those who are the kind of collectors who buy iconic trains from all over the world (I know Rapido have an order for Pendolinos from at least one Japanese retailer) as well as those who just buy everything Kato produce.

Mr Kato was an interesting character and clearly knew what he was talking about; whether he takes the decision to go for the Azusa/800 is of course a matter for him.

The sticky issue is scale; in Japan the commuter train models are to 1:150 scale as the prototypes tend to run on 3'6 or 4'6 gauge track.   The standard gauge trains - primarily the Shinkansen - run on standard gauge track and the models are to 1:160 to be accurate.

I enthused to Mr Kato about the prospect of a Kato Class 800 but don't be surprised if it's to 1:160 scale.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:03 pm »
 :sorrysign: I am in my normal three minds over this. Historically Hornby can do us all a favour and get the model to market in OO quickly - Recall that the ATP - P was thus and the real thing quietly disappeared- a brave project failed at hands of others. Perhaps this will be the future of the Montzuma revenges presented to the railways by those experienced train procurers the DfT ( department of fuzy thinking.)
I hope that Hornby do not sit on an OO model only but make use of the sole build model licence it has from Hitachi and can do a range of liveries in both scales.   

Finally what an awful train - internal floors are not flat, small hard seats and like a Voyager diesel engines under vehicle floors - makes it a bus what ever fancy names bestowed upon its frame. I am sure its only teething troubles but hopefully it will be ok in time as it will become the standard Interurban product. Sadly it is just not good enough to be titled "Intercity."  I would not wish it on my worst enemy - and I run Voyagers !!

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:10 am »
At Warley I was told by a competitor that they were beaten by Hornby who have the rights to make both the OO and N versions of the Class 800. Therefore the competitor can not make an N gauge model, so it would appear that if Hornby don't make the N version there won't be one.

Geoff

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Railway Graphics
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 11:04:28 am »
I asked Hornby about plans for the IEP in N while admiring the OO version and got the impression it was not being ruled out when the market improves.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Railway Graphics
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline nobby

• N Gauge Society Number: 21612
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:21 pm »
I asked hornby as well and pretty much got the same answer, um when the market improves , i read that as when hornby improves, there seems to be no shortage of money for the right trains and this smacks of house builders with land banking, i cant see why they wouldn't announce it even if not to make just yet , just to get a feel of the market and gauge the preorders , the problems i can see for hornby are as much of a nice model the BB was, they had cut corners and it showed , they would need to make the IEP to a higher standard to match the revolution pendolino. the hornby marketing and selling was a disaster for the BB   and lost some goodwill from customers and/or shops so another n gauge model will have to over come some of that to stand a good chance.  mind you if they do a very good job with the model then they will have years of possible reruns and with new liveries as franchises chop and change. 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here