!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 16088 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #630 on: December 06, 2017, 08:51:23 pm »
Very nice. It looks like a used loco, not one wearing make-up, if you follow that. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #631 on: December 06, 2017, 08:56:50 pm »
Yes a friend was exhibiting opposite me and I was admiring the weathering on his blue 33.
He offered to do mine and this is the result. Took him all of 15 minutes!
Iím pleased with the result.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #632 on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:15 pm »
Apologies  Brian. It wasnít the greatest of videos.
Is this picture better?

Hi Martin,

I like that a lot. You'll have to give us his number for future reference.

I've thought about weathering (not by me  :no:) in the past but never got that far, as you know, on the layout construction side.  I always thought though that if you do one then where do you stop? Saying that, one of my favourite reference pics of Dieppe shows a dirty loco with relatively clean coaches...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Dieppe-Maritime_mai_1973.jpg

While I'm here, thanks again for all your pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS I'm sure Chris (IP) will be posting the names of various Cornish residents who will 'not be amused' to have that filthy thing in their eyeshot  :D

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:02:23 pm by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: December 06, 2017, 10:08:37 pm »
Thank you, Chris (Weave). It's bad enough when any lightly weathered coaches (like some BR WR Maroon coaches shown recently) and some goods vans are seen at Cant Cove. Thank goodness Lady Penelope will never see D6571 in anything less than 'just out of the carriage washer' condition! I do have some colour photos. of BR Green Class 33s in dirty condition but too much weathering is simply not to my taste. My first two Class 22s do have VERY light weathering as do my two BR Green Class 03s.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #634 on: December 07, 2017, 09:35:24 am »
Yes a friend was exhibiting opposite me and I was admiring the weathering on his blue 33.
He offered to do mine and this is the result. Took him all of 15 minutes!
Iím pleased with the result.

Many thanks, Martin.  The 'Type 3' certainly looks the part.  I have seen so much badly-done weathering that my instinctive preference for polished locomotives has been greatly reinforced.  But something like this makes me reconsider my view.  It has a subtle and believable look.

Thank you for the photograph and video.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #635 on: December 07, 2017, 09:13:44 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks for sharing Martin, excellently  weathered, really looks spot on
     regards Derek.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #636 on: December 08, 2017, 02:14:20 pm »
I often post pictures of special trains or special goods services on here but the line between Port Perran and Trepol Bay is essentially a secondary route which, on a daily basis, sees mundane local passenger and freight services.
One such service is the 10.35 arrival at Port Perran from Wadebridge which will make the return journey at 11.40. This will necessitate the engine (usually a 45xx prarie) running around its train. There being
Imited space at Port Perran the loco will reverse its train out of the station, run round and take water in the loop (situated just outside the station) then propel the train back into the station in readiness for the return journey.
So.....first off we see the train having just arrived at Port Perran at precisely 10.35:

At 10.50 the train is propelled into the loop where the prarie will take water:

At 11.05 the prarie runs back onto the main line to run round its train:

Five minutes later the locomotive is ready to propel the train back into the station:

At 11.22 the train gets the all clear and reverses back into the platform:

Then at 11.40 precisely the train sets off for Wadebridge. Seen here two minutes later just passing the loop again:

An everyday event which nevertheless is of great interest and which provides an essential service for the folk of North and West Cornwall.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:05:50 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:03 pm »
Many thanks for this series of excellent photos., Martin, from sunny Port Perran.  It's very good to see that the volunteer cleaners have ensured that the 4575 and its two BR Crimson WR BR Standard Suburban coaches are in immaculate condition. Lady Penelope will definitely approve! Fortunately, she's staying in the Chelsea townhouse, for her Christmas shopping, so missed the rather dirty goods vehicles passing through Cant Cove on the Monday.

The 10:35 arrival at Port Perran, ex-Wadebridge and the return 11:40 departure from Port Perran to Wadebridge (an approx. 90 minutes journey) make connections with Bodmin, Exeter, London, and Penmayne. For example, the 01.15 from Waterloo which arrives at Wadebridge at 09.05, the 08.58 from Bodmin General which arrives at Wadebridge at 09.16, the 09.40 arrival at Wadebridge with through coaches (including two Sleepers in the Summer) from Paddington via Bodmin Road, and the 10.05 from Bodmin Road which arrives at Wadebridge at 10.31., then departs at 10.37 to arrive at Cant Cove at 10.43, departing at 10.45 for Penmayne a.10.49, and the 09.33 from Penmayne to Waterloo, which arrives at Wadebridge at 09.42, departing at 09.44 (after adding a through coach / portion from Trepol Bay, very smart station work! -- I need to amend this), arriving in London at 11.31.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:46:09 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #638 on: December 08, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Five minutes later the locomotive is ready to propel the rain back into the station
At this time of year, it's more likely to be snow!  :D
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #639 on: December 08, 2017, 03:04:46 pm »
Five minutes later the locomotive is ready to propel the rain back into the station
At this time of year, it's more likely to be snow!  :D
Oops, I missed that typo. Corrected now though.
Sunny periods and showers here today.
My Layouts -

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #640 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »
Smashing pics, Martin
BTW - Prairie ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #641 on: December 08, 2017, 04:49:31 pm »
Thank you for these lovely pictures, Martin.

And for your clever evocation of a way of life that will soon be swept away by progress.

It's good to see that the Great Western's traditions of working with all due despatch have carried on to BR days in Cornwall.  With limited time for uncoupling and coupling the fireman will be glad of the non-gangway stock...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #642 on: December 08, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »
A lovely set of photos. Very evocative. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #643 on: December 09, 2017, 09:12:05 pm »
Hello, many thanks Martin, superb photos , all looks so right
         regards Derek.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #644 on: Yesterday at 12:24:19 pm »
I often post pictures of special trains or special goods services on here but the line between Port Perran and Trepol Bay is essentially a secondary route which, on a daily basis, sees mundane local passenger and freight services.
I'm so glad that I'm not the only nut trying to run a timetable - though mine is 1934 and there are no nasty diesels!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here