Tophat bearings

Started by Dorsetmike, May 06, 2017, 09:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Has anybody got a link to a supplier of top hat bearings suitable for N gauge, I can find loads of 00/H0 and larger, I did notice Alan (Etched pixels) supplies them with some coach /bogie kits, but I believe he's currently not doing any sales.

Couldn't find any on Ebay.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

AJP

Hi Mike, 2mm association is the only supplier I believe.

Tony

nick_bastable

available from PARKSIDE DUNDAS  http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/PARKSIDE_DUNDAS__ACCESSORIES_.html

although with a unbiased hat on the 2mm ones are better   :D

nick

Rabs

BR Lines also have some in their 'loco builders' catalogue (not sure if this is online).  They aren't listed as 2mm specifically but they have some small sizes.

SheldonC

I've got a couple of wagons built from Parkside Dundas kits, and am not very happy with the way they run; now I have bought a couple of unmade kits.  Would the assembled ones run better if I could get top hat bearings into the axle boxes, and would I be best advised to fit the bearings into the unmade axle boxes before assembly, do you think?

Bob G

Quote from: SheldonC on January 03, 2018, 04:55:43 PM
I've got a couple of wagons built from Parkside Dundas kits, and am not very happy with the way they run; now I have bought a couple of unmade kits.  Would the assembled ones run better if I could get top hat bearings into the axle boxes, and would I be best advised to fit the bearings into the unmade axle boxes before assembly, do you think?

You are not alone. i think the issue is keeping the chassis truly square is difficult, so the axles are not 100% perpendicular to the rails. It doesn't take much in N gauge to go from perfect to rubbish. I have ditched many attempts at Parkside Dundas kits for that reason (thank you Dapol for the Grampus).

Bob

Calnefoxile

For the latest incarnation of the NGF/3DR Cowans & Sheldon Crane I used NBrass Bearings http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/fitall.html#BEARING part number 23818.

I found these to be brilliant, I found that the Parkside Dundas or Peco as their now called  ;) ;) bearings has a small conical mound inside which can give irregular running, whereas NBrass ones are perfectly concave and they don't have the external moulding pip either.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Neal.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations