!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Is there a kit replacement for the Peco 15' chassis?  (Read 728 times)

Offline oreamnos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
Is there a kit replacement for the Peco 15' chassis?
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:07 pm »
I have a considerable number of blue Peco grain wagons.  These are of course on a Peco 15' chassis.

The problem (as always with Peco wagons) is the unsprung couplings.  I want to run a rake of 20 or so of these wagons on our club layout but when I try, they always self-uncouple.  None of my Farish, Dapol or Minitrix wagons with sprung couplings have this problem.

I'm considering putting the grain wagon bodies on a new chassis that has a sprung coupling arrangement, but Parkside Dundas don't seem to have a 15' chassis available and even if they did, I'm under the impression its chassis don't have sprung couplings either.

Do any of you have any suggestions about how I could solve this?

Thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:28:47 pm by oreamnos »

ScottyStitch

Re: Is there a kit replacement for the Peco 15' chassis?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:06:44 pm »
What about the 2mm Scale Association?

Are any of these suitable?:

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=2

2-378 is a 15ft BR chassis, would that work?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:07:49 pm by ScottyStitch »

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »
Is it worth looking at simple tweaks for the Peco couplings to improve them? I found that a lot of the time with the kit built ones, it was very easy for the couplings to hang down (despite having the plastic shim that pushes down on them from the top). Mainly as it's likely to be a bit of a task if you've got to take a long rake of them apart and rebuild them on new chassis.

Possible things to try off the top of my head..

small amount of copydex or other lightweight rubber solution glue in the coupling pocket to make it more springy.

small plasticard/card/rubber shim on top of the coupling. Or possibly at the back of the coupling pocket (both would probably involve body removal).

something grippy (copydex again), thinly coated on the coupling hooks themselves to make them less prone to uncoupling. This makes them less practical to actually uncouple when you want them to though.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:15 pm »
Take a close look at the couplings. One or more is probably not level. Careful trimming with  knife or shimming with plastic or paper should help.

If you went to guarantee no un-couplings then you could replace the Peco couplings with a hook and loop system. Alternatively, replace them with Dapol or Peco's NEM coupling pockets.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:49:56 pm »
Some judicious use of 'Tacky Wax' on the couplings? :hmmm:

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »
I've heard tacky wax does wonders with this problem too, (although not had a need to try it myself yet). Also, have you considered a permanent coupling option ( I think Shapeways have them) at least for the length of rake you can store. Still cheaper than new chassis. But tacky wax is cheapest first attempt at a solution!

Offline oreamnos

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions.  They have given me food for thought.

After studying the problem at length (prior to my OP), I've found the biggest problem with Peco couplings is that regardless of how level they are, they move up and down too easily and tend to "bounce" especially when knocked or placed in compression against each other.  Sprung couplings tend to resist compression forces better don't bounce as much.

I'm in the USA and have never heard of "copydex" though just now having looked it up I can see how useful it would be.

One of the suggestions supplied has giving me an idea which will 1.) be cheap, 2.) be reversible (though possibly fiddly to reverse), and 3.) be easy to try.  What I will do is take a small bit of open foam packing sponge (the stuff like Peco foam ballast inlay) and shove it into each coupling pocket and work it behind the back of the coupling.  The hope is that this will act like a spring against the rear of the coupling.

I will report on my findings once I get a chance to try this.

Thanks again, all.
Matt

Offline oreamnos

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »
Just reporting on this as I said I would after having had a chance to try using some foam in the coupling pocket to give the coupler a little spring.

I short, it didn't work.  The foam turned out to just as likely allow the coupler to remain up when knocked as was to help it stay down.  The foam supplied more unwanted friction than wanted spring.

Oh well....

Matt

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here