!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann Class 40  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Pete @ EGLM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 7447
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann Class 40
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:29 pm »
I've bought two.  They both run the same, definitely a slower top speed than previous offerings.
Are they not the first diesels to have the new coreless motor?  Is this what is making the difference rather than gearing issues?

Pete @ EGLM

Offline Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2017, 08:31:19 pm »
I agree regarding speed. Both of mine run slowly on the running in track. I thought the tight radius curves might have something to do with it, but apparently not!

I'm currently having a real struggle to get the body off the blue one to put a decoder in. The green one was bad enough, but this one just will not budge.
Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2017, 08:33:44 pm »
Based on Railbank's figures the top speed is more or less correct but the throttle response is markedly non-linear, delivering a scale 27mph at 50% throttle but 85mph at 100%.

That's curious as this (presumably DC) performance resembles that of a DCC loco with a speed curve enabled. I'd be interested to see the current draw comparison. Perhaps the lights etc draw a large baseload current? 

Offline Railbank

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:01 pm »
many thanks for replies, looks like its a quirk of the new design, as said very pleased with my 40159 and looking forward to the sound version shortly.

trying to resist the urge to buy another. (somehow I think this may fail).

as per Longbow's observation, throttle response seems a tad sluggish at the bottom end, certainly up to about 60% on my controller, the lights at both ends are certainly bright, particularly the red markers. Above 90% the speed doesn't seem to increase any. I usually run on DC at no more that 80% on the newer Farish stuff.

:thankyousign:

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2017, 05:47:14 pm »
Are they not the first diesels to have the new coreless motor?  Is this what is making the difference rather than gearing issues?

Having had the frames off mine, the gearing looks fairly standard - it's not massively geared down, so must be mostly an effect of the motor, which is the first use of the coreless on a diesel. All previous comparisons are with the higher revving 3 pole can motors Farish used previously, so it's not surprising they are different.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2017, 07:06:43 pm »

does anyone know when the multiple working was removed from 40159?

also what about the port covers for the boiler exhaust?

The multiple working cables were originally removed in the late 1960's by the Scottish region, this however doesn't mean that they were not reinstated at some point as the bogies were swapped between class members.

The best way would be to try to find a photo of the locomotive for the period you are modelling. Doing a quick search on flickr I found these

Taken by Bruce Galloway at Haymarket depot in March 1981

This also shows that the inner sandboxes have been removed

The KDH Archive has the photo showing the roof detail in March 1978

Taken by John Wooley in July 1977 in ex works condition following its final classified repair at Crewe

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2017, 04:20:53 pm »
One of my 40s runs perfectly on my layout. The other derails on points after a curve in one direction only. I've swapped the pony from  the good one and the front bogie still derails. I've tried several back-to-back settings for the pony with no luck. I've even run the offending bogie without any pony--runs perfectly. The speedo cables don't seem to be restricting the bogie swing. Running out of ideas now--can anyone suggest a remedy or should it go back to the retailer?

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2017, 06:20:24 pm »
Check the pickups on the main wheels - they should hold the wheels centrally - if they are pushed to one side then it could be the issue, and a gentle bend of the appropriate sides should even them up.

This kind of thing can often be the cause of derailments or rough running over points on all diesel models, from old Poole Farish right through to the current.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2017, 07:18:35 pm »
Also check the sand-pipes aren't fouling track/pointwork.

Roy

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2017, 08:47:36 pm »
That's most interesting as I reported a similar if not identical problem in reply #78 :hmmm:

Having received D211 last night I ran it this morning to find it derailed on the first small electrofrog it came to in both directions. 'Strange' I thought. 'The destructions state not to try running it on curves less than 263.5mm (about 10") and the points are 12" radius' :confused2:
It turns out it didn't like running off a small curve onto the point. When I changed it to run off the 2nd point in the fiddle yard all was well.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here