!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 6743 times)

fergy1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »
I managed to finally find a cheap Lima GWR (yes GWR!) horsebox at TINGS yesterday!  :claphappy:

It doesn't look like much but I plan to have a go at updating/upgrading it much along the lines as per the link below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/416/entry-12621-time-travelling-equine-transport-back-dating-and-detailing-the-n-gauge-lima-horsebox-part-4/

It'll end up being part of a rake along with the LNER examples I'm building which incidentally look like this at the moment:

The second Chivers kit still needs it's roof ventilators attaching before playing catch up with these two. You may notice that the old Farish GNR box (the smaller of the two) has it's chassis painted the same colour as the body. This was standard practice for the LNER when dealing with vehicles with wooden solebars - the metalwork will eventually be picked out in black though. It should have a set of footsteps but I've bugged out from this at the moment, although I'll probably end up adding them at some point!

Offline snitchthebudgie

• N Gauge Society Number: 25616
  • 2mm Association Number: 4489
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2017, 01:48:04 pm »
Hi Steve,

Interested to see you using 2mm Association chassis and their 12.25mm axles.  They certainly give a much 'finer' appearance to the chassis.  What wheels do you use on them, to get standard 'N' standards?

Cheers, Jon

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2017, 02:39:07 pm »
Interested to see you using 2mm Association chassis and their 12.25mm axles.  They certainly give a much 'finer' appearance to the chassis.  What wheels do you use on them, to get standard 'N' standards?

Hi Jon,

I use standard Farish wheelsets with the 2mm conversion axles, to be honest I think that they're the only ones that will fit. Popping them off the Farish axles and fitting them to the 2mm ones is fairly simple - I use a pair of flat bladed pliers, loosely gripping the axle behind the wheel and pushing downwards to support the insulating bush (I hope that makes sense). You do occasionally get a wheel that just won't run true though but that is always a manufacturing fault in the wheel and I now test them before removing from the Farish axle...

Hope this helps.

Offline snitchthebudgie

• N Gauge Society Number: 25616
  • 2mm Association Number: 4489
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2017, 04:53:27 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for this.  I have been wondering about upgrading some of my underframes, and this is a possible way forward.  I am regularly tempted by 2mm finescale, but it might be a step too far.  Improved detail, plus some finer track (perhaps even 'N2' standards to give better running) might well be a suitable compromise.

Jon

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »
It has been a little while since I last posted on here as I've been a bit down again recently. I'm slowly picking myself up again but very frustrated and annoyed as I thought I was over this kind of thing now...

Anyway, unsurprisingly, not much modelling has done but I did have a look at the NGS Shop's clearance items and picked up the following 16 Ultima Gresley conversion sides for 16.40 plus 4 p&p!

It might be awhile before I get to do anything with them as I've got a couple of commissions to sort out as well as the final touches to do to the platform shelter kit and a couple of CAD files for upload to Shapeways. Then again, they might make an interesting diversion by way of breaking things up occasionally so never say never!

I was really after some catering vehicles (other than the Buffet Car) and some more Full Brakes but they didn't have any! For the price, I'm really not going to complain!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:09:35 pm by Atso »

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2017, 09:28:50 pm »
Steve,

They look like a challenge (or they would be for me)!

There's a strand I follow on another website that deals with coaches, if you need any link, just shout.

Regards,

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:36 pm »
Steve,

They look like a challenge (or they would be for me)!

There's a strand I follow on another website that deals with coaches, if you need any link, just shout.

Thanks Roy,

If I'm thinking about the same thread it is mainly concerned with GWR stock and you've valiantly held the LNER flag for use like minded modellers.  :)

I've used these before to convert a Dapol coach into a full brake. I've got a couple of scrap Dapol Gresleys to play with but not sixteen! I think an alternative method of building these will be required...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:48:26 pm by Atso »

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:40 pm »
Steve,

Aye, that's the one! Not that valiantly, though, only two Thompson Non-vestibule carriages and I haven't finished the sides on the second - I want to get the tumblehome right.

In fairness I've been busy tracklaying and I've a new Union Mills small tender I'm trying to finish for my D20.

Here's a little shot of the Thompson CL, however, on the layout.

Regards,

Roy

Online CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:02 pm »
As a bit of a coach hacker and revamper I'll be interested to see how you get on with these, even if they aren't the 'proper' coaches of the SR ;)

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2017, 07:40:24 pm »
Aye, that's the one! Not that valiantly, though, only two Thompson Non-vestibule carriages and I haven't finished the sides on the second - I want to get the tumblehome right.

In fairness I've been busy tracklaying and I've a new Union Mills small tender I'm trying to finish for my D20.

Here's a little shot of the Thompson CL, however, on the layout.

Thought so, and daring to show an LNER coach in a GWR coach thread is both valiant and brave! Tumblehomes are difficult to get right in N gauge, I'm just glad than the half etches on the Gresley conversion sides work out as around 0.1mm thick so easily formed by the underlying coach side!

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2017, 07:43:21 pm »
As a bit of a coach hacker and revamper I'll be interested to see how you get on with these, even if they aren't the 'proper' coaches of the SR ;)

They're reasonably straightforward to be honest. The most difficult bit is soldering the two halves of the coach side together - not something you'll have to worry about for Southern stock!

If you're happy painting the sides separately then, rather than having to rub down the donor sides and cut out the window areas, you can simply cut out the whole side and insert a BHE clear coach window/side and Evostik the side to that.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2017, 07:47:48 pm »
I looked for a Thomson SK in vain-one of my Ultima kits shed a side and needs replacing.

If one is brave enough to use an original Minitrix donor for the LNER vehicles, it is possible to scratch build/kitbash LNER Gresley suburbans from the cut out sides of two Minitrix vehicles-I did it many years ago. I don't know if the trick will work with Dapol donor vehicles for the Ultima sides.

martyn
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:50:12 pm by martyn, Reason: extra information »

Offline DavidK71

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2017, 08:58:16 am »
It's always good to see people making coaches, whatever company made the prototype! I really do need to stop making elaborate plans for coaches and actually build a few more so that I have something to add to that thread ...

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2017, 09:21:31 am »
I looked for a Thomson SK in vain-one of my Ultima kits shed a side and needs replacing.

If one is brave enough to use an original Minitrix donor for the LNER vehicles, it is possible to scratch build/kitbash LNER Gresley suburbans from the cut out sides of two Minitrix vehicles-I did it many years ago. I don't know if the trick will work with Dapol donor vehicles for the Ultima sides.

Hi Martyn,

I remember those suburban conversions; there is a picture on here somewhere isn't there? Hopefully Mr Pixels' house renovations are going well and he'll be back in business sometime in the new year.  :)

It's always good to see people making coaches, whatever company made the prototype! I really do need to stop making elaborate plans for coaches and actually build a few more so that I have something to add to that thread ...

Hi David,

Yes, you really do need to build a few more!  :smiley-laughing:

Inspiring stuff and very well done!  8)

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:45 am »
Hello Steve;

Yes, there are some photos on the forum, but I'll have to try and find them.........I did write the construction up for the Journal, but that was many years ago. They might appear in some of the photos of James St.

I used two Minitrix sides, plasticard ends, Ultima (or was it BH Enterprise?) floors and roofs, and various Ultima/Etched pixels fittings (battery box, dynamos, etc). Bogies might be a problem, as I used MTK/Fleetline ones, but I'm sure that Dapol spares from their Gresley corridors will fit-I think I have retrofitted some of my kit bashing efforts with them; or else the Society ones (even though they are not quite right).

HTH

Martyn
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:19:40 am by martyn, Reason: spelling »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here