!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 71030 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1725 on: December 03, 2017, 06:56:26 am »
Sorry to go off subject but this guy is a genius at work, look at all the pedals underneath he plays un-believable, he plays has he composes.

So the motto is filming and controlling the loc should be a doddle..........lol
But I notice that someone else is operating the camera.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1726 on: December 03, 2017, 07:24:26 pm »
I haven’t been getting on with scenery building, I’m afraid.  I had a lot to do for U3A, which took all morning.  In the afternoon, I made up the fire ready for the evening and then did a bit more filming.  I am enjoying (mostly) filming and I am gradually getting used to the routine.  However, I did have a number of instances today when I stretched the umbilical attaching the walkaround to the controller too far, resulting in the controller crashing to the floor and pulling out the plug to the DCC bus.  This happened not once, but several times and was a result of trying to find a better position for the tripod for filming.  However, in the end, I managed to film the whole of sub-cycle 1c.

The ‘c’ sub-cycles are for goods trains and here you first see 6417 emerging from the UP branch tunnel bring the branch goods from Norton.  It makes its way round to Marton Hinmarche and stops further up the branch platform (Platform 4) than the branch passenger’s normal stopping place.  Then 7821 ‘Dicheat Manor’ emerges from the UP mainline tunnel with a DOWN parcels train, heading for Platform 2.  Once both trains are safely installed at their respective platforms, Stanier Class 5 45206 is seen emerging from the DOWN mainline tunnel with an UP milk train, headed for the platform attached to Marton Creamery, where it will remain for an extended period so that its milk tankers can be filled ready for transportation to Aylesbury and beyond.

Once 45206 has safely negotiated the crossovers into the milk depot, the points are changed so that the branch and UP mainline are clear for normal traffic.  Then Ditcheat Manor departs from Platform 2, taking the parcels train on to Worcester.  After that, 6417 leaves with the branch goods, bound for Shipton.

I had considerable trouble filming 45206 negotiating the crossovers.  It kept grinding to a halt.  At first, I thought it was a problem with the crossovers, but then I realised that it was a recurrence of a problem with the driving wheels, which were locked.  I checked the valve gear and connecting rods, but the problem was not obvious.  It seemed that the problem occurred after the right-hand curve between the two elements of the first crossover.  In the end, I made a slight adjustment to the valve actuating rod on the right-hand side of the loco and that seemed to do the trick. 

I hope you enjoyed watching the video as much as I did making it.  I did make some effort to clear up the various bits of debris around the layout, but it won’t every be completely right until all the scenery is finished.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1727 on: December 03, 2017, 07:42:18 pm »
Thank you, Laurence, that's a very interesting video.

I thought that your 'Manor' was running particularly well.

With best wishes,

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1728 on: December 03, 2017, 08:02:14 pm »
Nice video Laurence, I like the nice sweeping curves, your locos seem to be running ok now. By the way what video software did you decide to use in the end.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1729 on: December 03, 2017, 09:30:54 pm »

Nice video Laurence, I like the nice sweeping curves, your locos seem to be running ok now. By the way what video software did you decide to use in the end.
In the end, I bought Wondershare Filmora.  It wasn't too expensive and it allowed me to change the brightness, contrast, hue, etc.  However, it is really good at cutting and splicing, which makes it easy to fit all the bits together, so it was money well spent.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1730 on: December 04, 2017, 06:13:29 am »
Nice video and some very smooth running.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1731 on: December 04, 2017, 06:38:18 pm »
First thing, I managed a filming session, getting sub-cycle 2a in the can.  The temperature was 12C, having been down to 10C before the overnight heating kicked in.  Both 80119 and Forthampton Grange had stuttering bouts, possibly due to the cold, although 80119 had behaved without a problem when running in the opposite direction during sub-cycle 1a.  However, I did manage to capture everything I needed. 

This time, I tried a different filming technique, holding the camera one-handed in my right hand and holding the controller in the other.  It is impossible to turn the knob on the controller using this technique and, anyway, it’s operation is not sufficiently predictable to be relied on when the other hand is fully occupied.  So I set each loco to fourteen time steps, which makes it possible to stop by pressing the minus button fourteen times.  Then I started the video, looked at the controller, which was lying on the baseboard and turned the knob to give a speed of 14 with my left hand.  As soon as the loco was rolling, I picked up the controller with my left hand and positioned my thumb over the minus button, ready for the deceleration.  At the appropriate place, I pressed the minus button fourteen times and precipitated the deceleration process.

The main problem with this technique is that it is difficult to hold the camera steady enough for smooth filming.  With the camera set to automatic, the focus takes a short time to follow the changes and there is some movement-related blurring from time to time.  However, I think the overall picture quality is better because the images are larger.  Using my previous fixed central position for the tripod, I could not zoom as much as I would have liked because, with too much zoom, the vertical position of the trains changed too much from the tunnel mouth to the station.  Next time, I will use the tripod again, but use two local positions, one each for the UP and DOWN ends of the layout.  It is quite interesting to develop an appropriate methodology that will work for every case.

In this sequence, 9744 emerges from the DOWN branch tunnel, have travelled from Shipton and makes its way round to Marton Hinmarche, where it comes to rest at Platform 4.  Then 80119 appears from the DOWN mainline tunnel with an UP local passenger from Worcester, making its way to Platform 3.  After that, 6837 ‘Forthampton Grange’ appears from the direction of Aylesbury with a DOWN intermediate passenger, stopping at Platform 2.  Then, as with the other ‘a’ scenarios, it leaves, accelerating away in the direction of Worcester.  80119 Follows, departing in the direction of Aylesbury.  Finally, 9744 leaves with its branch passenger train bound for Norton.

I’m quite liking these filming sessions.  I suppose I ought to get on with the scenery, but running the trains and filming them is such good fun.  Alright, I’m no expert, but I think I am getting better.  Anyway. I so enjoyed today’s session that I went back this afternoon and filmed the next sub-cycle.  But I’m saving that for tomorrow’s post, just in case I don’t manage to film anything tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1732 on: December 04, 2017, 07:08:55 pm »
Having fun is what it's all about!

We're all enjoying your efforts Laurence, so please carry on!

Dave G

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1733 on: December 04, 2017, 10:40:49 pm »
Nice video Laurence well put together, every time I try and do one with multiple trains something always goes wrong. So I know how difficult it is, even though my powercab has a decrease fast button which has proved handy plus the emergency stop button....he...he.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1734 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:49 am »
Nice video Laurence well put together, every time I try and do one with multiple trains something always goes wrong. So I know how difficult it is, even though my powercab has a decrease fast button which has proved handy plus the emergency stop button....he...he.
Thanks Chris

Actually I cheat when I'm making the videos.  Normal operations would mean starting the local passenger as the branch passenger emerges from the tunnel and starting the intermediate passenger before the branch passenger comes to rest, so there would be three trains running all at once.  But, when I am filming, I start the camera, start one train, film it and stop it before thinking about the next one, which means six 'shoots' for each sub-cycle. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1735 on: December 05, 2017, 07:59:27 pm »
I only had a brief trip to the Train Shed first thing.  I did one or two housekeeping jobs but, at least I had managed to make a video of the next sub-cycle yesterday afternoon.  For this filming, I went back to using the tripod, but moved it for filming from the different ends of the layout.  I’m not convinced that it really works and some of the shots are right on the edge of the film.  However, this is what I filmed.

Here you first see 9744 with its branch passenger from Norton, heading for Platform 4.  Next, 46443 emerges with a DOWN local passenger and makes its way to platform 2.  After that, Rebuilt Scot, 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ ruches through with an UP express.  Thereafter, 46443 heads off in the direction of Worcester and 9744 makes its way toward Shipton, via the branch line. 

However, today, I explored the virtual cutting room.  Of course there is no real cutting and splicing because we are not using celluloid but, I used electronic cutting and joining.  I have tried to give a better impression of what you would see if you watched the sub-cycle live.  This the result.

The most unsatisfactory part of the cutting is that I didn’t miss any sections to allow for the time elapse between stopping and restarting the filming of each loco.  Next time, I will try hand held filming again, but from a more central position with a greater amount of zooming.  Then, I will try omitting cuts from the sequence to try and create a real-time sequence.  In any event, it should be quite good fun.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1736 on: December 06, 2017, 09:09:21 pm »
First thing this morning I set up the points for the next sub-cycle (2c) and ran J39 64690 with the local goods around to the branch platform to make sure that everything would be fine, particularly with the crossover from the DOWN mainline into the goods loop.  It all worked well and so I reversed the local goods back into UP loop 8.

Much later, I returned and filmed the next sequence.  There was a complete lack of cooperation from 6417, which needed several nudges to get it going in from the DOWN loops and then kept stopping on the exit and yet again further along the track between the tunnel and the station.  I cleaned the track with IPA, but with little effect.  I then cleaned its wheels, using kitchen roll and IPA, but there was no black sediment on the at all.  After a while, I did get it to run from the loops to the station uninterrupted.  But it needed a nudge to get it going from Platform 4 and again stalled just before the cross-over points from the milk loop.  Eventually, I managed to get it to run right round to the UP loops.  It is all very strange.  The temperature was somewhat higher than of late and the track and wheels were apparently clean.  The only issue might be that it is a few days since it last ran, but this hasn’t been a problem in recent runs.

Anyway, in this sequence, you first see 6417 emerge from the branch line tunnel with the local goods from Shipton, followed by 7821 Ditchet Manor with a DOWN parcels train and then 64960 with an UP local goods heading for the goods platform.  We follow them in rotation until 64960 finally comes to rest at in the Goods Depot.  After that Ditcheat Manor departs Platform 3 followed by 6417 with the branch goods bound for Norton.  We follow them until they have both disappeared into the tunnels.

On this occasion, I went back to the hand-held camera technique, but this time used a greater magnification so that I could film from more central positions, with less danger of causing a plunge by the controller.  I really must order some Shaper Sheet soon.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1737 on: December 07, 2017, 07:47:08 pm »
First thing this morning I decided that I needed to do some more operational train running, as there were signs of rustiness from the locos I have been running for the videos.  The temperature in the Train Shed was a lusty 22C, mainly because I forgot to reset the heater to timeswitch operation when I left yesterday afternoon, so that will cost me a few pennies.  So I don’t have any pictures today, but I did run the next four sub-cycles to complete the first full cycle.

9744 was still a problem to get going and 80119’s train had a coach derailment, probably because I must have knocked it during the filming.  However, all things considered, it all went quite nicely and I will have another session tomorrow.

Later, I investigated the backscenes and found that some I could lift easily, but one I managed to damage a little, hopefully not irreparably.  The main problem was that I had, rather foolishly, covered the join between two of the sheets with ‘invisible mending tape’.  It’s great when fixing pictures to pages for photocopying or scanning, but is not so good for backscenes.  I won’t try using it again.  However, I think I will be able to rescue the backscenes and use some of the techniques that have been suggested to me.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1738 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:08 pm »
First thing this morning, I had a good running session.  When I went into the Train Shed, the temperature was below 12C, so I switched on the heater for a while, which increased the temperature a degree or two.  I ran the first six sub-cycles of the second full cycle and it all went very well.  The branch passenger, under the charge of 9744 ran very well and didn’t require any nudges to get it going.  Because the first six sub-cycles are all ‘a’ or ‘b’, 9744 ran in all six, so to run without a hitch at such low temperatures was very encouraging.  Jubilee Class 45572 ‘Eire’ stalled on one of the points exiting the DOWN loops, but other wise ran without a hitch. 

I took the opportunity to make three short videos of the non-stop expresses rushing through the station.  I did manage to get myself into a muddle a couple of times, mainly because of the change of routine to make the videos although, once, I just failed to follow the script because I was too busy watching one of the trains.  I have spliced the three videos together into a single video.

In all three sequences, 9744 is standing at Platform 4 with the branch passenger, waiting to depart for Shipton, 45206 is at the head of the milk train, waiting for its tanks to filled at the Marton Creamery, 64960 heads the local goods at the Goods Depot and 46443 stands at either Platform 2 or Platform 3, depending on whether it is running in the DOWN direction or the UP direction.

First, you see 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ emerge from the tunnel and make its way round to the station at full speed, passing the camera on its way to the Midlands.  Then 5041 ‘Tiverton Castle’ rushes past the camera and makes its way through the station before disappearing into the tunnel on its way to London.  Finally, 92006 exits the tunnel with the fish train and runs through the station with a fish train from the fishing ports of the North East and passes the camera on its way to the West of England.

After the filming session, I had a trial run with 6417, to see how it would perform in the next sub-cycle.  It wasn’t too good, but it was much improved on yesterday.

Later, I went back to the Train Shed and the temperature had fallen to 8.3C, so I again overrid the timeswitch on the heater.  Then I ran the final four sub-cycles of the second full cycle.  This time, despite the lower temperature, 6417 behaved much better.  It wasn’t perfect by any means, but it performed reasonably well, with only one nudge in the station.  So perhaps some of the problem is lack of regular running.

Anyway, after that, I decided to take the bull by the horns with the backscene and strip it off, so that I could reaffix it.  Given that it was a damage limitation exercise, I decided to use vertical strips of double-sided sticky tape.  Here’s the first piece during reconstruction.

I have taken a picture of the tape, ready for the backscene to be stuck down.  It is difficult to see, but you should be able to see the vertical breaks in the original glue.

When it was all finished, this was the result.

It’s not perfect.  You can see the joins, but they weren’t invisible when I completed the original fixing.  I should be able to tidy it up a bit, so I will keep you posted.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1739 on: December 09, 2017, 07:55:52 pm »
First thing this morning the Train Shed was very cold, a little over 8C.  So I put the heater on for a while.  However, the low temperature didn’t seem to affect the locos too much.  I ran two sub-cycles before tidying up everything after yesterday’s carnage with the backscenes.  9744 ran well, apart from requiring one nudge to start from the platform.  80119 had problems in the station, but that was because the platform had moved during the renovation work and the platform edge was fouling the valve gear.  Also 3846 ran very well when set at half speed, which is a good sign.  I need to run it at half speed because the only way to get it into the hidden loops completely is to wind it up to an unrealistically high speed once it disappears into the tunnel.  If I try running it with the maximum speed set to the correct speed, it will not reach the loops fully, even with the deceleration set to maximum.

Yesterday I completed the work on the backscenes from the centre of the station boards to the UP tunnel.  I may be able to get away with leaving those at the DOWN end as they are, but I’ll see how I get on with the scenery.  Here’s the scene with everything (such as it is) back in place again.

Later in the afternoon, I returned to the Train Shed and the temperature was right down again, so on went the heater.  The outside temperature actually reached the dizzy heights of 1.7C at 13:00, but its been all downhill since then.  I managed to run four more sub-cycles and 9744 ran very well, as did everything else, although 80119 had a stop under the London Road bridge again.  I was now ready to run the last four sub-cycles in the third full cycle, including two goods runs, but it was time for a cup of tea, after which I made up the log burner for the evenings warming session.

Later still, I returned and the temperature was right down to 8C again, so on went the heater.  Then I ran the last four sub-cycles of the third main cycle, including two goods sub-cycles, 11c and 12c.  6417 had some problems exiting the loops, but otherwise ran OK right up until its last home run, when it stalled on the curves around what will eventually be the sewerage treatment plant (STP).  However, once I set it in motion again, all was well.  When everything was in the station we had 6417 with the branch goods at the goods end of the branch platform, 7821 ‘Dicheat Manor’ on the other side of the island platform with an UP parcels train, 64960 with the local goods in the milk loop waiting for a clear way ahead and 45206 with the milk train in the goods loop, again waiting for a clear way ahead.

At last, I have ordered the Woodlands Scenics Shaper Sheet and other bits to get on with the landscaping.  The order should arrive in the next day or two, so I will be able to get on with the tunnel landscaping and other bits that need doing.  Before I can start that, I need to fix the screens in place that will hide the hidden loops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything