!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 118072 times)

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2016, 10:28:29 pm »
I've had a couple of 'dry joints' but I decided some time back that ballasting would be almost the last job to be done so that I could repair any problem (a bit) easier.

I would solder to the outside edge if that was the only solution but so far I've been able to avoid that option.  :sweat:

Dave G

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2016, 10:45:30 pm »
Yeah, all my feeds etc. are soldered to the side of the rail. To be honest, when I began my ancient layout I'd never heard of, or even thought about soldering to the underside.

If you make a neat join and the track sides are painted rust colour, they hardly become noticeable. Actually, with my own layout being so old, restoring it is a major undertaking. I'm actually glad I soldered to the sides of the rail, because I can see where feeds and sections are which have long since been forgotten!

Great trio of trains you've got there, by the way, Laurence.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2016, 02:01:04 pm »
The Four Railway Engines
(with apologies to the Rev W Audrey)

There's no sign of Thomas, Gordon or James, but the B17 might just be Henry.  Thank goodness there will be no tunnels on the layout.  The latest addition is 92006 with some of the vans typical of trains traveling on the ex-GCR which might have spread out in the Woodford Halse area and found their way to Morton Hinmarch.

I've decided to go for the Peco power feed joiners as the simplest power connection option to the rails.  If necessary, I can think about soldering onto the sides of the rails at some future date if the Peco solution turns out to be a bad decision.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »

I've decided to go for the Peco power feed joiners as the simplest power connection option to the rails.  If necessary, I can think about soldering onto the sides of the rails at some future date if the Peco solution turns out to be a bad decision.

I have used similar items from Modellers Mecca before Peco did theirs and have had no issues but I think some purists may scoff :uneasy:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2016, 02:46:13 pm »
I'm DC but have used the Peco rail joiners. So easy and reliable.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2016, 09:34:56 am »
It took my landlord (an experienced electrician and electrical engineer) a while to get the hang of soldering the droppers to the rails. He ruined one section of plastic sleepers but the piece was easily replaced. We discovered that cutting away sleepers near where the soldering was to take place and / or moving the sleepers away from the area prevented sleepers getting melted. I did have plenty of Peco substitute sleepers but had trouble getting them to stay at the right height under the rails and had to part cover them with excess ballast.

That's a nice selection of trains, Lawrence. The WR had some BR standard 2-10-0s shedded in S. Wales for coal trains and they may have worked through your area?

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2016, 11:42:24 am »
Try big crocodile clips - big battery types as heat shunts on either side of the joint.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »
The 2-6-4T arrives

The 2-6-4 Tank has arrived with the first local train, a rake of suburban coaches.

You will notice that the first van behind the pannier tank has apparently been derailed especially for the photograph.  It has since been righted.

The 2-6-4T was the first Farish Loco to be unpacked.  Fortunately, I had to fit a chip in the 9F, so this was the second chip I fitted.  But, what a fiddle!  The three screws holding the body onto the chassis are absolutely tiny.  Even with my reading specs on, it was a difficult job.  Getting them out wasn't too bad, but getting them back in again was an absolute nightmare.  Even holding them with tweezers was a problem.  Twice I had a screw shoot out of the grip of the tweezers onto the floor and each time I had to scrabble about on hands and knees looking for them.  But it's all done now.  Programming the little beast also proved problematic.  I had to increase the acceleration and deceleration delays using 28 speed steps.  I tried 128 speed steps, but it was not much better.  I will have to wait until the layout is built and I do a proper commissioning job.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2016, 01:53:08 pm »
Nice little collection Laurence. :thumbsup:

There's a lot to be said for working with small parts inside a plastic bag.

Not you, just the item, of course. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2016, 05:08:25 pm »

Thank goodness for that!  I thought I might have to suffocate.  I'm now working over a plastic tray to collect any droppings.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2016, 08:17:58 pm »

I'm now working over a plastic tray to collect any droppings.

I'm sure the doctor can prescribe you something to stop that, Laurence :laugh:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2016, 09:22:39 pm »
I now have 7 locos up and running.  I have assembled a sample train behind each.

The Manor is in BR lined black, not untypical of the period, with a rake of rhubarb and custard.  The jubilee is beside it.  I would have had a Stanier Class 5, but I could not program it.  When I checked it on DC there was no supply to the pick-ups inside the tender.  I think the pick-ups are faulty, so I will have to send it back to Hattons.  I have also shown a picture of the Gaugemaster DCC02 controller. 

You can see that I have incorporated a DPDT rocker switch to switch the test track between the Main Track output and the Program Track output.  I had originally intended to build this into the layout, but I should have all the locos programmed before the layout is complete, so it may not be needed.  Once the loco IDs have been selected, Program on Main seems to work perfectly well.  However, I may need it if I increase the fleet in the future.  The idea is to have the tail shunt to the milk depot as the Program track, but make it switchable, as above, so that I can give any new loco a unique ID before switching to Main to release it onto the layout.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2016, 08:08:51 pm »
Two more locos running

I have commissioned two more Dapol locos.  The first was a 38XX with a train of mineral wagons.

The second was the Grange intermediate passenger with a rake of chocolate and cream coaches, including three SKs that arrived in the post today, courtesy of Newport Nobby.

I have just one loco left to commission, the 64XX branch line engine.  The two on back order are the 2-6-0 milk train loco and the prairie suburban passenger.  All three are Farish, which are much more difficult to commission that the Dapol ones.  The Stanier Class 5 (also Farish) will have to go back because it wont pick up from the track.  It's a shame because, 30 years ago when I first modelled N-gauge, one of the first locos I acquired was a Class 5, so I am a little attached to the model.

Once I have finished commissioning all the locos, I will need to commission the Digikeijs decoders for the points.  Hopefully, the baseboards will appear soon so that I can get started on the layout proper. :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2016, 09:30:02 pm »
Goodness - it must be frustrating having all those trains sitting there raring to go! I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the progress.

With respect to droppers, underside has always worked for me and have made some refinements - this is now my approach...

kit
- fine point soldering iron tip. It's probably teaching nan to suck eggs but the tip needs to be perfectly matched to the power of the iron so the heat transfer is rapid enough
- fine solder, the finer the better. DCC concepts amongst others sell a good one that's less than 0.5mm sq. in cross sectional area
- helping hands stand/clamps - one holds the track and acts as a heat sink, the other the dropper wire

Tips
- I co-heat the wire and rail then add a teeny bit of solder to th tip of the iron. This then goes onto the wire first and, as the temp of the rail comes up, flows onto the rail. After a few seconds cooling a firm pull on the dropper tells you if the join is good. As others have said one wants the join to be super solid so it does not detach in situ.
- some folks pre-tin the wire and simply place on the rail and apply heat, this doesn't work so well for me, might be the heat doesn't come up quickly enough, dunno. Another approach is to use solder paste and i think that might work best of all...

Sorry if all this is obvious...

Cheers & good luck

PT

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:41 am »
The Branch Line Train

I have finally tested the branch line loco, the last of those that I still have (working).  It's a 64XX, but won't be operated as a push pull. 

It's not fully commissioned yet because I hadn't read the small print that said I needed a right angle DCC chip.  But I've tested it with a standard chip, minus the cab of course.  The Class 5 was marked as only three remaining at Hattons so I have ordered one of them and agreed with Hattons that I will be refunded for the faulty one when I return it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice about soldering droppers to the rails.  Although I have ordered the Peco connectors, I will persevere with the soldering and see how I get on.  I do have a concern about soldering to every rail if the rails are not insulated from each other.  Because the DCC signal consists of a relatively high frequency signal (about 10kHz) for the control, there is the danger of oscillating current loops, a phenomenon that has been known to destroy chips.  Does anyone have any experience with droppers and DCC?
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations