!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 2330 times)

kelstonlad and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:59 pm »
If memory serves the Peco 22xx was released around 2005/6.
I would consider the real thing to be a mixed traffic loco as it was quite happy on local passenger trains as well as pick up goods.

Online chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: Yesterday at 03:28:18 am »
Good (early) morning Leon. :wave:

How's things going?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: Yesterday at 03:46:37 am »
This is it - the final plan before laying track. The image below is Wiltsbury Junction showing elevations in color. The elevations of Westbury and vicinity, the source of my inspiration for this layout, are pretty much as seen here. The lower part of the layout is essentially the elevation of the avoiding line and the town. Follow the road in the lower right and it rises significantly from the railway bridge to the right hand turn. But, before crossing the local lines, after the left turn into Wiltsbury Station, the road is on an embankment. (I walked from the road into the station up steps to the bridge. It is a steep climb of perhaps twenty feet.) After crossing the railroad the road follows the terrain and risees gradually before Biss River Station. A steeper slope is necessary at the top of the layout to conceal the rail and rolling stock that will pass beneath it, the only significant departure from reality. Finally, map contours are drawn at intervals so one must accept many changes in elevation from one contour to the next are quite subtle.

The color contours do not apply to track which will incline and decline for the two bridge crossing - the one over the road passing the Railway Inn into town, and the other crossing under the railroad line between Biss River and Marsh View (not seen). As in reality for the modeled location, tracks are on embankments when elevations are too steep.

Thanks for viewing, and I'll keep the Forum informed in the coming days, weeks, and months. The baseboard has been painted, and the first phase of the track will be layed (temporarily) this week. I expect to test the track by running my locomotives for a few days before lifting the track to begin work on the topography - probably next week, if there are no set backs! The land was here first, so the track will not be laid permanently until after creationl!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: Yesterday at 03:50:57 am »
Good (early) morning Leon. :wave:

How's things going?

Chris, I'm ready for MY bed! Have a great day!

Leon

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: Yesterday at 03:59:40 am »
Nice plan Leon. Good luck with Day 1 of the Creation.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: Yesterday at 08:19:44 pm »
I've no stock in Dow Corning, so I'll not be advocating for their foam insulation on this Forum. I will be reporting my impressions as I go along. Up until decision time, I was intending to top my frame with plywood and 1" foam board. And, then I found a source referencing extruded polystyrene. I tried to learn something about the product, but was not successful. However, during my searches I found an American modeler who got the idea from Australia and said it had worked great for him. It seems that this board is popular in Australia, and modelers there spoke of it being a U. S. product. So I looked further and the only board I found advertised as "extruded" was the Dow Corning board. The cost was about $35.00. The thing that tipped the scales for me was the thickness - 2".

I've previously shown here the "raw" board and I think I posted a photo of the board after painting. I used latex paint and it was a breeze. Two coats were necessary for a good cover, but I gave the top an extra coat. I have lots of green and chocolate paint left, so I'll use it to paint the foam board I'll use for building the terrain. I'm adding a couple more photos to show a little of the support frame.

In the course of my layout construction if there are problems with the board, I'll mention them, too, and I'm not too proud to admit a mistake, so if I decide that using foam without plywood was a mistake, I'll tell you. Reiterating what I've said already, at this point I'm surprised at just how rigid and strong the board is. And, it should be for it's popular as underfloor insulation. I don't know if it's used in the U. K.

Leon

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: Yesterday at 09:53:17 pm »
Nice looking frame and tidy baseboard. Now let the fun begin! :beers:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here