!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Gauge society kits - Any updates on when some of them may be available again?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Ben Line 457

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Post the N gauge society's AGM can anyone shed some light on when any of the long out of stock kits may become available again?

The last comment on the Societies website was in late March saying something may happen in 4-6 weeks but there hasn't been any more news since then.

Obviously with the announcement of the new Car flat kit there must be some contact with a moulder of some sort, is there any chance old designs are likely to be manufactured too?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards

Hello Ben,

The Carflat is being produced for us as an RTR model by Farish, and as such has no link with the kits.

The next kit will be the post-1976 Warflat.

After nearly two years we have now found a volunteer to pack the kits, but many of them comprise lots of small parts that are often in unmarked boxes, so going through these hundreds of items, cataloguing them and working out what needs to be ordered is not trivial.

In many cases we have almost complete rosters of items with just single castings, etches or mouldings that are needed, and this takes time to confirm and arrange.

Having said that, please email the shopkeeper directly (the address is in the journal) for a more accurate summary.  And it may be some kits have already come back into stock.

cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards
Hello Ben,

Firstly thanks for pointing out my error - the next kit is the Warflat and not the Carflat.
Secondly, thanks also for the advice about contacting the shopkeeper - something I have done more than once already this year.
I've been told that things will be ordered / moulded/ procured as time goes by and to keep looking on the website for changes.
A number of products have - in the past - briefly had a box to e-mail ones interest and whilst these boxes have recently returned on a number of kits/products nothing that I've been watching appears to have been restocked.

Although you must know better than me, I am somewhat surprised by your statement that 'many of them comprise lots of small parts'. A lot of the older kits were I believe 1 or 2 sprues of mouldings only (if you ignore wheels)?

One thing that I've been checking up on regularly is the bogie kits (surely the simplest thing the society sells, again I would assume a single sprue)- as of 11pm tonight there are still only 2 of the 8 products available - which are the only 2 that have been available for a considerable time.

Rather than constantly bombarding the shopkeeper the reason for my original question was to see:

A) Now that there seems to be contact with a moulder - someone must be doing the Warflat - has there been enough of a response from the interest boxes to formulate a plan for some at least of the out of production kits to be restarted?

B) Is thought being given to stopping production of any of the kits?

C) To try and get some sort of discussion going on this forum so that the shopkeeper isn't spending all their time answering individual inquiries. - 'we' do appear to be good at sharing the  news about the latest NGS RTR stuff but seem less enthusiastic about the older kits. I am genuinely interested in about half a dozen unavailable items but I'm no longer certain if my interests are mainstream. 

D) To hope that there can be another statement on the NGS's website to update members and more importanly potential members that things are progressing behind the scences since the last snippet in March.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards

Hi Ben,

You may be right about the older kits being simpler but I have only built the bogie wagons, or the ones I designed.  I haven't done any of the vans or pre-1990 ones.

I only know what I told you - that we've found someone to pack the kits, but that job is taking a while.

The bogies may be a problem if the shop has run out of coupler pockets (though I know more are coming) as I have explained previously the tool is damaged and at the moment we are waiting to get it fixed.  But finding toolmakers with the skills needed to do this, at a price we can afford, is not easy.

The Warflat is being done by Parkside Dundas who are great at tooling two-part tools but are not able to produced tools with slides or moveable cores that are used for the bogies and couplers.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
As part of the team press-ganged organised by @Mirrlees and @free debt man to help count and sort the kits, I can confirm that the counting of all the sprues etc is continuing apace.

There are boxes & boxes of bits which all need counting and sorting, this all takes time. Once the count is done, then the sorting and packing can start, this will then outline what's missing and get the necessary bits remoulded.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Neal.

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards
Hello Neal,

Good luck with what sounds a mammoth task.
Hopefully if there are boxes and boxes there may be a lot of kits that could make it back on sale without the need to remould?

If the feed back from the 'interest boxes' has been good it'll point you and the team in the right direction for what will and won't sell - presumably the 21T hopper wagon (kit 16) isn't worth any effort as we now have the Dapol version.

Best of luck,

Offline Mirrlees

• N Gauge Society Number: 17765
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
All being well there should a short statement in the journal with some pictures.

@Calnefoxile needed to take his shoes of at one point to get passed 10.  Not a pretty sight...

@free debt man has also be hard at work counting and writing down!

I have now got to enter all these onto the computer so that we can see what we have got!/

Cheers
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
If the feed back from the 'interest boxes' has been good it'll point you and the team in the right direction for what will and won't sell - presumably the 21T hopper wagon (kit 16) isn't worth any effort as we now have the Dapol version.

Hi

Personally I think its better than the Dapol version, however, I probably have all I need.

Cheers

Paul

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
There is no intention to stop production of any of the kits except those already notified ie the etched brass Queen Mary and Seacow.  Whether we will re-stock other kits in the future is a matter to be discussed as necessary but the main issue at the moment is actually converting lots of inidividual components/parts into complete kits...

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Product Development Officer)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
As part of the team press-ganged organised by @Mirrlees and @free debt man to help count and sort the kits, I can confirm that the counting of all the sprues etc is continuing apace.

There are boxes & boxes of bits which all need counting and sorting, this all takes time. Once the count is done, then the sorting and packing can start, this will then outline what's missing and get the necessary bits remoulded.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Neal.

Oh such fun. I know all about that one. Big thanks to all the folks who volunteered to do the counting and packing as it's a tedious job to say the least.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
It makes you wonder what value in stock is in these boxes.

I guess no one knows

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards

Hope this helps.

Regards

Neal.

Hi Neal,

Do you still need volunteers for the Press Gang?

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
drifting off topic a little , a price list of what the shop has in stock would be welcome with the Journal/Newsletter , as was in days gone , some folk don't have computer access like myself - I usually get caught using the grandson's phone !

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
You can request a price list from the shop, but it won't reflect stock levels (which change all the time).

Cheers, Mike

Offline Mirrlees

• N Gauge Society Number: 17765
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards

Hi Neal,

Do you still need volunteers for the Press Gang?

All help is welcome.  I'm co-ordinating the work.  The sprues are stored in a unit in Calne in Wiltshire.  Please can you PM with the times you could help.

Cheers Tim
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here