!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Post-1976 Warflat kit and military vehicles from the N Gauge Society  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards

Announced at the NGS's AGM yesterday were a new kit for the modern Warflat and appropriate military vehicles to use as loads for it and our other military wagon models from different eras.

The NGS's next kit - number 55 - will depict the Warflat wagons built for the Ministry of Defence in two batches in 1976 and 1981 at BR Shildon works to carry armoured vehicles and supplies between depots, training grounds and military ports.

The wagons have straight steel solebars and wooden decks, with heavy duty jacks that clamp to the rails and allow vehicles to be loaded at one end and driven along the train.  All are painted army green.  When introduced they were dual braked and coded PFB, however all were later configured with air-brakes only and recoded KFA.  They are still in service.

The kit will comprise an injection moulded plastic body tooled by Parkside Dundas, a cast metal underframe for weight, one-piece plastic bogies with NEM couplers and etched detail parts.  Decals for all eras will be included.

MILITARY VEHICLES IN RESIN

The NGS is also teaming up with PG Models to produce a small range of military vehicles to complement its upcoming post-1976 Warflat, and existing Warwell and WW2 Warflat kits.

The vehicles will be cast in lightweight resin, rather than the usual pewter, so if they are used as loads they do not make the wagons top-heavy, and have been selected to represent the 1950s to the present day.

The vehicles are:

Humber FV-1611 "Pig" armoured car.  These saw service with the British Army from 1956-1994 but were particularly associated with the troubles in Northern Ireland from the 1960s to the 1980s, where they were also used by the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

BAE/Hagglunds BV-206 amphibious troop carrier.  These permanently linked tracked vehicles comprise a cab unit and a separate trailer unit.  Originally designed in Sweden in the mid 1970s, they have been used by the British Army and the Royal Marines in the Falklands, Iraq, the Balkans and Afghanistan as well as in exercises from the equator to the Arctic Circle.  They are still in service.

GKN Sankey AT-105 Saxon armoured personnel carrier.  These were a "low-cost" APC designed to use existing Bedford lorry parts, and eventually numbered more than 600 in troop carrying, recovery and ambulance configurations.  Entering service in 1983, they were used in Northern Ireland, on UN peacekeeping duties in Bosnia, in Kosovo and in the Gulf and Iraq wars before being withdrawn in 2009.  Nearly 150 remain in store as a contingency.

Alvis FV-107 Scimitar light tank (Life Extension Programme version.)  The Scimitar Command/Reconnaissance Vehicle entered service in 1971, but in 2000 a major refurbishment programme was started to extend the lives of these useful vehicles with new engines and transmission units  and numerous other enhancements. LEP Scimitars have several significant external differences to the original Scimitar, and the NGS model will reflect these.  There is a pewter model of the original Scimitar in PG Models' standard range.

I will post images when I can get to a PC, as I cannot seem to from an iPad, though I admit that is probably down to my ineptitude above all else!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Post-1976 Warflat kit and military vehicles from the N Gauge Society
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:43:27 am »
And some pictures

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:34:24 pm by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:18:36 am »
Certainly an interesting concept........more importantly any news from the AGM when even some of the other kits will be back in stock?

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 12:34:28 pm »
A bit like these then?

KFA's with vehicles seen at Didcot sidings in 2009.
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
Wow!  This certainly is my year....lots of NSE goodies and now these.  :)  Especially looking forward to the Humber Pigs and Saxons to compliment my 'army'.  Great work, and well done to all involved. :thumbsup:

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 06:15:01 pm »
Ben,
Certainly a good choice having made up earlier models of the warflat. I look forward to the scimitar - first AFV I drove ( and only one and at school to boot ! ) and the other AFVs for loads.
FWIW I have found a supplier of 0.5 mm wide vinyl stripes for tie down staps.

http://www.maritime-models.co.uk/acatalog/vinyl-lining-sheet.html#.V4u80NIrJIw,

Ideal for the wagons as well. pack gives 4 m of 0.5 so plenty to be going at!
Robert

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 06:31:22 pm »

Hello all,

Those vinyl straps look like they could work very well, but my plan at the moment is to include etched straps crossed over and sized to be right for the loops on the wagon and the fittings on the vehicles. They can also include representations of the ratchet buckles too.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline RichardBattersby

• N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »
I'm pleased, too, about this news. Please excuse my ignorance by my question, but how do they differ from kit 49? I assume kit 55 will be a later version to 49? Or are these an updated version and 49 is to be retired?
 :thankyousign:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:10:57 pm »

Hello Richard,

This kit represents the wagons built in two batches from 1976 with straight solebars and stil in service.

Kit 49 represents the WW2 versions wth fish belly solebars, which are now retired from mainline service, though I believe some are still in use internally at some steel works and at MOD locations including Marchwood military port.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline RichardBattersby

• N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:33:44 pm »
Thanks Ben. Much appreciated.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:37 pm »

Hello all,

There appear to be two threads on this - is it possible to merge them?  In answer to a question about prices, we aren't sure yet but I am anticipating the wagon kits to be around the 20 mark (similar to the KSAs) and the vehicles to be around 5-8 depending on complexity and whether they have additional etched details.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:14:19 pm »
On topic -  I might have a Pig and a few Scimitars to go with the warflats. Off topic.  I used to be one of a Section riding quite often riding in the back of a pig in NI. Talk about rock and roll.  Quite a few squaddies felt more green than the pig after a few miles.  It was usually a tight squeeze to get everyone in and more than once I ended up sitting on a caltrop (Spiked chain)
In later years on exercise in Germany I used to go on exercise in a APC (FV432) which were quite slow and had to travel in a convoy.  A couple of times I managed to get a lift back to camp with one of the TACP's (Tactical Air Control Party) in a Scimitar and hoped to get back quicker as they were faster than the 432's and didn't have to travel in convoy.  Guess what.  Yes they broke down each time.  The next time I managed to get a Landrover and trailer for me and my guys.  Nostalgia eh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_Air_Control_Party
   This might be of interest to some (Tank).  Our TACP's consisted of an Army Major and a Cpl R Sigs and the other  an RAF Flt Lieutenant and a Cpl R Sigs

Offline simong

• N Gauge Society Number: 20842
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 07:19:12 pm »
More great news. The idea of lighter PG vehicles is also great, hopefully Paul will expand the range  on time.

Offline G_N_E_R

• Just another N Gauge modeler, focusing on GNER!
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 07:22:28 pm »
Today just gets better! I'll be after scimitars and warflats for sure, see a lot of them down in Tidworth!
Regards
Phil
If it ain't Blue and Red, something must be wrong!!

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 09:24:54 pm »
More great news. The idea of lighter PG vehicles is also great, hopefully Paul will expand the range  on time.

NO NO NO !
do not divert him, PLEASE !

still waiting for a Saladin to go with the Saracen, and the long awaited Striker !
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here