!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Southampton Model Railway Society's Seahaven  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Waz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Southampton Model Railway Society's Seahaven
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 08:58:41 am »
Well not much to report in this update on progress, the 5 roads of the fiddle yard have been laid and as promised I have included a picture, however there was enough space to squeeze in another two roads bringing the fiddle yard up to 7 roads. The final road is most likely laid by now. Our gauging wagon can be seen in the picture.

A simple yet effective locking mechanism has been installed, this also transmits the power to the roads, meaning only when the road is lined up and the locks are in place can the road be powered, this reduces the chance of a train accidently being driven off and onto the floor.

On the far side the loading road can be seen, the railer is a fixed to the layout meaning we will never be at a show without it. The centre road is the fiddle yard exit road with the near side road being a loco storage or programming track, this hopefully will reduce the handling of stock once loaded onto the layout.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:34:18 pm by Waz »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 09:02:18 am »
Very interesting thread. Progressing very well.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 09:12:54 am »
As with most club layouts progress speeds up and slows down all the time, it took a back seat while the club rooms were expanded, but now its picked back up as the layout is attending the CMRA modelers day.

http://www.cmra.org.uk/time.html

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 09:33:34 am »
I can see there's a lot of thought and logic being applied to this.

Maybe I should try that :-[

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 09:36:44 am »
I am not sure if it is thought and logic or just that three people bouncing ideas off of each other is finding the silly mistakes before we make them.

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 01:44:00 pm »
It's been a while since this thread has had any sort of update, first off my apologies for that, its a bit hard to work on a layout when I spend most of the year traveling abroad for work.

However the backscene has been repainted, the new station building and road over bridge has been fitted, and the layout has had a small extension to allow longer trains to be held in the station. Access to the small goods yard has been improved and small details are starting to be addded to the layout.

There is a lot of other work that's being undertaken, colour light signals have been added where needed and these have been wired to be dcc controllable. Station lights have been added and new platforms fitted. Work has been carried out to install cameras and screens for the front and back operator to see where stock is.

The layout has been to a number of shows getting nearer to completion every time.

The layout will be attending the Southampton club show the last weekend of January, this will be two years after it first appeared as a work in progress.

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 01:32:40 pm »
While trawling through my pictures I've found a few from when the layout when out to a local show a little while back.

This was the first time the layout had been out with the new front control panel added, this was added to allow easier operation of the layout for some members who found changing the points form the handset difficult.

This was taken part way thought the installation and testing period so the wire it is yet to be tided up. The Relays are there because the points required one voltage and the point decoder outputs a different voltage. Also the LED's in the panels are also driven from these relays.

This shows the back of the layout at a show, you can see the digital control system connected in and also a test track which also doubles as a programming track.

The fiddle yard socked and in use at a show, one visiting loco hauling a special can be seen.

Finally the front of the layout before the show opened, the station over bridge mock up can be seen fitted. This was taken before the small extension and the back scene was repainted.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »
Hi Waz,

Earlier today I read Mark's thread about the Southampton (Eastleigh) show in January and because I hadn't replied to your thread here (only thank yous) I missed the November update.

Anyway, all looking good am looking forward to travelling through 'bandit' country from the Pompey side of 'ampshire to see it (+ the others). 

I met you and Mark at the Fareham charity show (forget when, earlier this year or last year  ???) with your club layout and you were both very friendly and helpful.

A few more pics would be good to whet the appetite if you have time.

Have a great Christmas and see you next year.

Cheers weave (Chris)  :beers:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything