!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Worsely works 42xx kit build  (Read 7721 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Worsely works 42xx kit build
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2016, 12:10:14 am »
And the 72xx as well.  I have not seated it yet but it is just a case of trimming the plastic.

Offline AJP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2016, 03:57:08 pm »
Well I was thinking about this at the weekend, and have a small list of pros & cons of the Dapol chassis, so here goes, sure snowwolflair can add some also:

Pros:
It's pretty easy, and if you get it wrong (the cut and shut bit) you can always hack off another bit of chassis and have another go  :doh:
You get brake gear ready made up, instead of having to fiddle with the etched stuff, which of course will short the wheels out if it touches.
You get the sand boxes also.
You get the wheels already quartered, and they are drop in, plus they are not at ight fit so can be adjusted, though see below also.
Motor clearance to gears is already done.
Pickups are already fitted, no fiddling with PCB and phosphor strip.
The centre two drivers can both be geared up, this helps a lot with traction, plus as they are geared, the con rods don't need to be such a good fit.
You get the bogie connection point already engineered also. ( I intend to use a farish front bogie)

Cons:
If you buy the wheels from DCC supplies like me, the pins provided don't fit  :veryangry:
The wheels as supplied by DCC supplies are slightly larger (approx 0.75mm), also some are pretty loose on the axle, i had to glue a couple. The original 45xx has smaller wheels.
Using the Dapol pins you do need to open up the holes in the connecting rods quite a lot.
If you use a donor chassis bought second hand, care needs to be taken getting the pins out also, several of mine broke, though I wasn't that concerned because I had a load more I had bought from DCC supplies   ???

Tony

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2016, 04:06:59 pm »
I would agree with all of that.

In short don't buy a donor chassis just buy the parts from DCC as they are all new and compatible, (pins, wheels, gears etc.)

Yes wheel slip -  when it works and it is all aligned you apply very thin cyano with a needle tip to the axle/wheel to lock the positions.

And for everyone trying to copy us, build the chassis and get it 100% first. :D

One last thing, get a sheet metal nibbler to modify the kit without distorting it.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2016, 07:29:13 pm »
Well, got quite a lot done this week:

The Chassis, unfortunately my pistons stick out more than usual to clear the 14 BA nuts

Body ready for the paint shop

What it is going to haul

Body painted, just waiting for matt varnish, number plate, vacuum pipes  & some coal, oh and solder and cut the bolt on the cylinder cranks

The start of Chassis MK3, if it runs Ok will be after another 42xx body!

Regards Tony

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »
Looks good, I need to build up my bodies to get a better idea of how I am going to build the pistons.

However! :beers:

I have been out partying for Christmas so not got much done this week. :D

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2016, 10:04:08 am »
Hi Snowwolflair, you enjoy!!

Here's something I started before the 42xx build, but if I can mill/ dremel away the front wheel splashers, add steam pipes etc, it should be a reasonable representation of a straight frame 42xx

Regards Tony

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2016, 10:03:30 pm »

Lining motor and gears up, chassis is 0.6mm brass, very robust

Fitting the PCB and cut out for the gear, held on by two 14BA bolts, wheels are drop in, 16BA crank pins, counter sunk and screwed in from behind, last threads coated with epxoy, unmovable after.

Pick-ups fitted.

Motor fitted, pick-ups connected, works very well, much better than MK1

Also with all that brass it has quite a bit of weight already

that's all for now, regards Tony

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
More photos of the mk3 chassis build that I didn't upload yesterday

Gear mount on 14BA, so can adjust, then when correct solder in place

Gear soldered

16BA bolt fitted as crank pin

Ready for test fitting of PCB

Regards Tony

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
The other day did some work on the chassis for the next 42xx, has turned out a lot better.

Used a Nigel Lawton midi motor this time

That's all, no time
Regards Tony

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2017, 07:08:25 pm »
Very nice.  I'm stalled at the moment as I have to get a layout ready for our club show.  Any chance of a video when you get it running?

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2017, 07:41:17 pm »
Hi Snowwolflair, will try this week, geographically the railway and all its bits and bobs are in a different local - I think work-wise don't have a lot on, should see it on my home made rolling road, which I have posted on the forum also.

Tony

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2017, 07:40:00 am »
Many thanks for your very interesting threads. I had not realised that there was another excellent Cornish railway layout on the forum with handbuilt model locos. The Clay Dry looks superb.

Do you ever build to order? (Although with all the hours of work involved and very high level of skills required I'm sure that one would be very expensive.) Could they be DCC-fitted? Leaving space for even the smallest chip might be a problem? I'd particularly love to have a St. Blazey allocated BR Black late Crest 42XX. A 43XX / 73XX 2-6-0 would be very good, too, but I guess I'll have to wait for the promised RTR one. 8-(

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2017, 04:58:00 pm »
Hi Chris, Glad you liked it, I was hoping that Kernow models were going to release theirs in N, but when it became apparent that was not going to happen, I decided to have ago at building one - Luckily there are lots of photos out there.
I think St Ives is my favourite branch, I was hoping to build something to scale but in the end I went for a  reasonable representation.
Unfortunately the last year has flown by and I have not done hardly anything.  :( I have been tidying up some of the houses behind the station, and need to repaint the station building also.

A regards building locos, i could certainly do something as regards a 43xx/ 73xx P & D marsh kit, but wouldn't want paying, more as a favour for a fellow forum member, as regards painting if your OK with BR black, I'm your man, if not may have to be that fabulous Ozymandias fellow.
The 42xx is more complicated as you have to cut and shut the Dapol 45xx Chassis, and lots of bits for the body are handmade, and to be honest it can be difficult to get it right - several times I thought it was running great only for something to go wrong ( the quartering on the wheels shifted several times, until I got some super glue to hold the wheels, the taking them off and refitting)

Cheers Tony

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2017, 07:05:24 pm »
Many thanks, Tony, that's very kind of you indeed. Very glad to read that a 43XX / 73XX is not a problem. I'll reply to your PM, now. As a 42XX is unlikely to appear RTR I think I will have to put aside enough money, later, to commission one.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 05:45:12 pm »
well a small update, I've started to build a straight frame 42xx, using a cut down Farish 61xx, scratch chassis with Worsley Works valve gear and connecting rod. This was while I was waiting for my Dapol chassis bits to arrive from DCC supplies, which after some probs have arrived, wheels are Farish 57xx with 16BA bolts as previous.

Farish safety valve coming off

Cast safety valve on.

More photos when possible

Tony

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations