!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Worsely works 42xx kit build  (Read 7718 times)

Offline AJP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
Re: Worsely works 42xx kit build
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 10:28:26 pm »
Hi Snowwolflair, looks like you made good progress! I made some but was left feeling very frustrated as when i came to fit the crank pins to the wheels, all of which I have bought new from DCC supplies, I found the crank pins are too small - the ones supplied by DCC supplies are 0.8mm, and some older ones i have are1.1mm! I have sent an e-mail to DCC supplies, but at the moment I have no way of progressing  :veryangry:

Anyway a photo of what I have achieved so far, tomorrow nothing as I have to go to Barcelona as part of my work  :'(

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:50 pm »
Yes I saw that coming about four hours ago and adjusted my sets accordingly.  Fortunately I have two so I scavenged the second set.

Actually its worse than different pins, there are two different wheel sets one to go with each pin size!  and the wheel diameters are very lightly different.  Spotted that three hours ago.  Look at my first video - mixed wheels.

Anyway having adjusted the quartering as the wheels are not hard quartered and slip I'm making progress.

NB the model needs to have a lot of weight or the 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 will jump one of the middle wheels on curves, so lots of particle lead (liquid lead) in any cavity you can find in the body.

I'm going to run it for a few days before I do any more and make fine adjustments as necessary.

Barcelona, a fantastic city,  the Christmas markets at the Sagrada Familia should be in full swing.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:54:56 pm by Snowwolflair »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2016, 01:31:35 am »
Oh before I forget.

If you drive the two middle wheels with the gears then don't hard pin the valve gear to both, it will be impossible to stop it from jamming, the tolerances of the plastic are not that good.

Pin the front one that will connect to the piston rods and solder the pin in place on the second middle wheel position, drilling out the wheel sufficiently to not be noticeable but allowing the pin to waggle around. It also strengthens the rod.

This means the piston driven wheels are coupled to the front and back wheels and give an illusion of driving the rear middle wheels which are actually gear driven.

I will post a new video in the morning of it running very smoothly.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:33:36 am by Snowwolflair »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2016, 11:13:09 am »
When I have made the front pony wheels I will list the critical modifications.

Offline Julia

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »
Hello.

Fantastic work so far. You have done a great job on the chassis especially as I think its harder to modify something to suit rather than starting from scratch. The Worsley kit is a nice kit to build, I remember Allen saying he made an extra special effort with it. Below is a picture of mine which I built a few years ago, it has gone through a number of different chassis until I settled on one I was happy with.

Julia  :)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 09:45:52 pm »
Very nice, yes the chassis is a big problem, which is why I want to get it 100% before I start to build the bodies.  Hopefully AJP and I can lay a trail of breadcrumbs others can follow.

I have now had my mechanism going round my test track in both directions an left and right rotation for ten hours today and its going strong.

Do you have any photos of your build you could post, every bit helps.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 08:54:46 am »
Hello.

Fantastic work so far. You have done a great job on the chassis especially as I think its harder to modify something to suit rather than starting from scratch. The Worsley kit is a nice kit to build, I remember Allen saying he made an extra special effort with it. Below is a picture of mine which I built a few years ago, it has gone through a number of different chassis until I settled on one I was happy with.

Hi Julia,

It doesn't matter how many times I see that loco, it still impresses me! Are you going to be at the Stevenage exhibition next year?

Snowwolfair, your chassis is looking mighty impressive on the test track. Glad to see you got the rear pony truck problem sorted from the previous video.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2016, 09:21:50 am »
Yes the short stub pony and the eight drivers make it difficult, however there is plenty of packing inside the wheel to trim away and it slides across now.  This may not be the final solution as I have not tested the effect on the coupling yet.

The ponies are secondary to getting the main drivers smooth which I think I have got on top of.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:52 am »
Just a thought regarding the wheels. Have you thought about replacing them with some with see through spokes?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 10:08:12 am »
Just a thought regarding the wheels. Have you thought about replacing them with some with see through spokes?

We try to walk before we run  :D

Yes

Offline AJP

• N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 06:04:14 pm »
Well not much time for trains at the moment, but here's a photo of the truly enormous Bocadillo i had for lunch (Lomo Y pimiento)(no time for the Sagrada Familia  either Snowwolflair, but go back tomorrow to finish what I started!) And they were all laughing in the bar where I ate, as they had never seen anyone taking photos of their food!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 06:10:41 pm »
"Who is not Japanese"  :D

Offline Julia

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 06:48:21 pm »
Hello.

Here are a few photos of the build. I wasn't very thorough when building the engine so I don't have many pictures. The photos of the chassis is during the redesign from chassis 2 to 3!

Oh BTW its a 52xx and not a 42xx. I was told that when I was building the kit. Apparently the cylinders were larger on the 52xx hence the step in the chassis above them. The 42xx had a straight chassis there.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 06:50:03 pm »
Very nice, thank you.

Offline Julia

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 06:51:17 pm »

Hi Julia,

It doesn't matter how many times I see that loco, it still impresses me! Are you going to be at the Stevenage exhibition next year?

Snowwolfair, your chassis is looking mighty impressive on the test track. Glad to see you got the rear pony truck problem sorted from the previous video.
[/quote]

Hi Steve. I am pretty sure I will be there (again) in Jan 2017.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here