!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Worsely works 42xx kit build  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Worsely works 42xx kit build
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:36 am »
I just found this thread and its very relevant as I'm working (slowly) on a 42xx and a 72xx, building them together.

My thoughts are to use the Dapol 45xx chassis, one for each and a third cut and shunted to give the extra axle and bogie for the 72xx

Offline AJP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
Hi Hailstone, thanks for the suggestion of 23001, I do believe I have one somewhere.

As regards the chassis I have one or two options, for some reason I thought 42xx and the 38xx were the same wheel base, but i was wrong, but not before I had bought a duffer 38xx from hattons and motorised it!

So originally I built the chassis up that comes with the kit and mounted a motor etc using Farish wheels and 2mm association crank pins

But this has not been a great success, the crank pins keep pulling out, as I suspected they might. So I think I have two options, build it like Snowwolflair, for which I have bought two chassis,wheels, cylinders etc from DCC supplies or strip the chassis down and re-build it as a split chassis, using 2mm association wheels re-gauged to N. Either way you will see the photos here  :D

Tony

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 08:09:59 pm »
 This is a great build you're doing here, the body looks really good.

In respect to the chassis I'm not really sure whether 2mm wheels re-gauged to N will work with respect to driving/bogie types. Although I have used coach/wagon ones on N code 55, because of the narrow (1mm) tread they need setting to a b-t-b of 7.9mm. At this they will run through Peco 55 points - just - but it's a bit nip & tuck whether they stay on both rails or one falls inside.

With the driving/bogie ones having stub axles you'll need to reduce the muffs in width and also reduce the stub axles so they don't touch each other at 7.9mm and thus short out.

Pity you can't find alternative crankpins for the Farish wheels used in the WW chassis. It might be a better/easier/cheaper solution. Perhaps you could make some up using hard brass wire and the small bore Albion metals brass tube.

Izzy

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 08:37:43 pm »
Hi Izzy, the problem I found was that the holes in the connecting rod are quite small, and if you were to try and open them up they would probably disappear. Alternative is to make connecting rods up out of brass, not too difficult. My first option is going to be using the two Dapol 44xx chassis, somebody else has done it this way on RMweb (though his was a 72xx) - the Dapol crank pins are a lot smaller and are a push fit, all positives for me!
Thanks for the info on the 2mm association wheels, those are my main concerns. I have actually got a 14xx chassis, wheels motor gears etc, to try on first.
I did consider drill through the farish wheels into the metal back face and tapping it to 14BA, as long as the cylinders were isolated on plastic, it should'nt short out  :worried: I would hope, but for now will being trying the Dapol method.

Tony

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »

As regards the chassis I have one or two options, for some reason I thought 42xx and the 38xx were the same wheel base, but i was wrong, but not before I had bought a duffer 38xx from hattons and motorised it!

the difference in wheelbase is about 4mm spread across 4 axles - I must admit I never noticed until you pointed it out! if I get round to doing one of these, I think I will use a 38xx chassis in the same way as you were going to. as for the crankpins coming out have you tried 2 pack epoxy, or industrial grade Loctite?

Regards,

Alex

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:15 pm »
The 45xx Dapol chassis allows you to change the gearing to drive the two rear axles which are the correct spacing for the middle two wheels.  The front wheel needs moved forward by drilling the frame and the rear axle is mounted on a chopped up separate frame cut to the correct length.  The rear pony on the 72xx is correctly pivoted and the front pony can be used with an extended arm on the existing front pivot point for both 42xx and 72xx.  In this way you only have to drill accurately one axle pair of holes and cut an add on part to the correct length (the axle holes alredy being part of it).

That's the theory anyway  :D

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »
Hi Snowwolflair, thanks for the info, it makes the Dapol chassis a lot more attractive, as I have all the bits now that's what I will try next, I didn't realise you could move the gearing around :thankyousign:

Tony

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 03:29:08 pm »
If you look at the photos you can just about see the alternative position.

I think that all three axils were meant to be driven but track curvature required the middle axel to slip side to side so the gear was removed.  On the 42xx and 72xx the first and fourth axils will need to slip on tight curves.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 01:23:55 am »
The three chassis into two seems to be OK.  I'm using a slow curing epoxy so I will know in the morning, however, everything seems to align up.

Next task is the front axle holes and ensuring the wheels sit square to the track.  If all is well I might try a fit of the steam gear later in the week.

There are probably going to be bits to cut off to suit the bodies but not until I have them built  :)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 11:58:33 am »
It has all come together very well.  Front axle drilled con rod lines up and they sit flat on the track.

Here are the Worsley Works etches for the 72xx before I started to cut them up.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 12:15:12 pm »
Hi Snowwolflair, Very good! Only just glued mine together, will have to wait for the epoxy to fully cure before I can proceed, but seems very solid after 1 hour. Am jealous that in the 72xx kit you get cab steps, in the 42xx nothing! Do you intend to use the dapol cylinders and cross heads of kit ones?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 12:27:23 pm »
I don't know yet.  It's going to be trial and error, however I know I can make it work with the Dapol ones so that's the fall back position.

At this stage I just want to get the mechanisms running around my test track.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »
That's looking really good in the video! What have you stuck the chassis together with?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:54 pm »
Devcon 2Ton and an interleave dovetail to increase the glue surface.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here